458 - Nail in my tire, advice needed | FerrariChat

458 Nail in my tire, advice needed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #1 FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Totally repairable. I'd pull the wheel, remove the center cap, and take it to Discount Tire. They will dismount the tire, insert a patch/plug from the inside, and remount. The plug is molded into the patch, and the whole thing is bonded to the inside of the tire so it will last and perform well. Most of the time if you go when they're not busy (or if you've bought tires from them before) it's free.
    Of course, it's a Pirelli, so the right answer is to throw away all 4 and replace with Michelin :)

randkin, rob5819, EastMemphis and 3 others like this.
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yes very reparable. It’s not in a side wall. But I do not agree with taking it to just any discount tire place. They will mess up your rims. I just had to do this. Didn’t have my F8 2 weeks.
    If you call around your city there are shops that can change the tire without damaging the rims. I had to call about 4 places and then one of the tire shops told me where to go. A reputable place wouldn’t even want to touch that rim without the right equipment.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Discount Tire is a national chain, not just any discount place! Sorry that may not be clear if you don't have them in your area.

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Assuming this is properly repaired, am I able to do a track day next month on this set of tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I would. I've done it in much heavier cars with patches. Definitely keep an eye on your pressures every session, which I do anyway to chase changing temps through the day.

7. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I seem to get 2 to 3 nails per set of rear tires in my 458 & GT3. If it’s in the tread I had no problem to patch and track. Last week I got a spark plug through a rear on my GT3, yes a spark plug. Couldn’t/wouldn’t patch that!
    …. I need to get a tire sponsorship; Michelin please.

Chizz likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Chizz likes this.
  9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Hahahaa same, 385-miles and nice screw 10mm of the sidewall.

Chizz likes this.
  10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I was so pissed!!!! Lol!!

xBox likes this.
  11. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    I agree with taking it to Discount Tire if you have one in your area. They are very professional and seem to always have the right equipment. They have been my go to tire place for over 30 years. I do not think that they ever charge for puncture repairs whether or not you purchased the tire from them. They have never even asked me. They just hope that when you ditch the Pirellis that you will buy your Michelins from them.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Anyone suggesting you track a car with a tire patch in it is not being overly concerned with your life. Ask yourself if your tire fails due to it being PATCHED at 160 mph will you still feel good about saving a couple thousand dollars? You think that glue will hold when applying g’s to it in cornering? How about now with the heat? Tire temps and track surfaces are baking right now.

In well over 300 track days with track support I have never once been told by my support personnel that tracking on a patched tire is acceptable risk. If street driving? Probably fine given it is not on the sidewall. But track? Come on man! It’s your LIFE.

13. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Better yet, ask the technician at Discount Tire if they think it is safe to track with the patch. Ask them if they would be comfortable with their family in the car tracking. See if the general manager will assume liability for failure of the patch.

14. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I laughed :eek:

........ some post purchase justification for front-lift, with the car needing to be recovered back to the dealer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

£300, when another 1cm closed to the centre of the road and I'd missed it :p

Chizz likes this.
  15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I wouldn’t even drive a patch on the highway . It’s a Ferrari man , buy a new / set of tires and be done with it.

tomc and Rexcat458 like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Let's be blunt. As my contact at Michelin and my contact at Pirelli would say. Tracking with a plug is really dumb.

The tyre cycles through heat, is twisted and torn side to side, and constantly sliding about. Will it hodl? Perhaps. But is it worth it to stuff your car into the sand? Not really.

Not even sure how this can be a consideration.

Get this set and move on.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+2+Connect+%28240%29&frontTire=435YR0PSC2C2XL&rearTire=935YR0PSC2C2XL

It will also give you a much more fun day without tyres that overheat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ntatfas, tomc and cole328 like this.
  17. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What tires are in the link? I can’t get the link to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Since I don’t track I couldn’t comment on the tolerances of a patch. For everyday usage and fun driving a patch is serviceable and safe. I would definitely defer to the more experienced track guys here it does seem logical that a patch would be undependable at track torque, speed and heat.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Michelin Cup 2 240 Connect.

245/35R20 and 295/35R20.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've driven thousands of miles on tires with multiple plugs. Those kits are all I carry in my cars. This is the specific kit I keep in the Ferrari:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMOEGY/

Be darn sure to stick with the T-handle version, because the straight handle ones are nearly impossible to use. Once you get the hang of using these kits, you can repair a tire in 10 minutes and air it back up and be back on the road.

I personally wouldn't think twice about tracking a car with a plug, but then again I'm probably not as fast on the track as Co-pilota is :)

Ray

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I don’t plug. I have them patch from the inside only.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My GT3 rear picked up a nail In center of tread. Plugged it myself with my roadside kit (PIA given how low the car is and how tight wheel fitment is). I’ve drive about 2000 miles on it since without a single lb drop in pressure.

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The plugs vulcanize to the tire itself. Once they go in, there's no getting them out.

The patch routine is probably okay too, if you don't mind removing the wheel and tire. The plug can be done on the side of the road and you're good to go in 15 min

Ray

Chizz likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's what I always do and they never catch me; not gonna catch me...

:)

I've driven 20,000 or 30,000 miles with plugs in the tire and had zero problems.

Ray

Texas Forever and italiafan like this.
  25. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Same both rear tires plugged 458 no issues