Newbie 308 GTS 1978 I can buy for $25k | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Newbie 308 GTS 1978 I can buy for $25k

Discussion in '308/328' started by mrnation8, Jun 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    I appreciate your awesome response. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when you even trouble finding where to even jack up the car, but it’ll be an adventure! I’ll start searching now for where to buy the timing belts, hoses, etc. I’m not too worried about keeping it all original as I am just it being functional and having fun driving it.

2. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Wow, what a best to get on jack stands. I’m almost scared to do anything to the car out of fear of it being wrong or messing something up lol. I only washed the car today but it cleaned up really nicely. I hope to buff/was it soon and then start on the interior while I get a game plan together. I really do appreciate all the responses and knowledge. It’s a cool feeling to have one and also be able to access this page and get ideas. Thanks again!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    And you guys were right- repaint and new leather! You guys are quick and have eagle eyes! From what I can tell again, he bought the car back in 99/00 and it currently has 51,602 miles on it. I’ll keep updating more as I go through the paperwork.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Mileage was 50014 on 4/21/08 for a smog check so 1588 miles put on car in the last 13 years.

6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    #82 Lowell, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    To my very old eyes, the patina on the cam covers is wonderful. PLEASE do not clean them with anything.

If they are very dirty, clean them with a gentle detergent and water. Then, if I remember right, you can wipe them gently with a rag soaked with WD 40.

The covers are die cast and the patina is from the release fluid put in the dies. They have no other finish.

mrnation8 likes this.
  7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    And 16" wheels with P7s were a factory option anyway (although the original wheels are slightly different to the repos).

Cirorsi and mrnation8 like this.
  8. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    I actually think they look great as well! I’m learning more over whats the “in” thing for a Ferrari the same as you would with a Chevy. (Old school Patina look, ride height for a gasser look etc)

9. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    And I’m assuming the stickers on the front fender were just something the owner added and not original? I found a receipt for a sticker kit but just checking before I most likely remove them to buff and polish the car.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Correct, no factory shields before the 355 model on the V8s. One of the first things I did on mine was remove the stickers the prior owner installed.

Notice they're not there on the prior sale flyer.

edit: speaking of the flyer, there's no way the prior repaint was a "body-off" job. The car simply doesn't come apart that way :)

mrnation8 likes this.
  11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Interior-wise I would just unbolt the seats and give everything a nice cleaning to see where you are at. Buy new floor mats and you'll be off and running. The more pics I see of this car the better it looks. Answers to most of your questions can be found by searching the forum and I suggest you get some practice getting good at using the search function as it is a true goldmine of information. Just about every question you can imagine has been asked here.

Save buffing the paint to the end. During the service you will rub up against it a lot leaving you to do it again at the end. Start by removing the rear deck lid and storing it somewhere safe. This will give totally different visual access to the back and it only takes a few minutes to do. Give the brakes a good looking over and flush the entire brake system with lots of fresh fluid. Check the steering racks for leaks and play and if all of that is ok then turn your attention to the big service.

Realistically you can have the engine on the ground and the car checked over nicely in a weekend. Make your parts list and you can have all the parts by the following week. Factoring in some learning time and the odd hiccup there is no reason you can't be out and driving in a month with a steady part-time effort.

mrnation8 likes this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    To add a bit on what Rob said.. it’s a very good idea to take a marker and make a mark on the rear deck lid hinges as to where the bolts are placed. Makes reinstalling the lid and alignment way easier. Whatever you do , DO NOT try to remove the decklid by yourself. Almost guaranteed you will scratch the car, ask me how I know.

mrnation8, Cirorsi and Nuvolari like this.
  13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As an aside to Rob's statement, you don't -have- to take the motor out to do the work. The 308 has decent access in place once the rear fenderwells are out. I do understand what Rob is saying, and depending on your level of perfection that may be the best approach. Beware the "while I'm here" things though -- I know folks whose cars were perfectly driveable, and then were taken apart for decades due to "while I'm here".

Don't forget the fuel lines.

mrnation8, dave80gtsi and mike996 like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My opinion is to not jump into anything too soon. If you are in no rush, first just clean and buff and just tinker to learn about what you now have.

Download the pdfs of your factory "Parts Catalog" and "Owners Manual". Read them through.

Read some of the thread here about engine removal etc. Formulate your questions and search.

There are surprises, like how to drain the coolant (simple, but no drain plug like you'd expect).

You'll see. You own a super cool car which you will very much enjoy.

mrnation8 likes this.
  15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you know that you have a full major service to do including all hoses then pulling the motor is significantly LESS work overall. The secret is in committing to it at the beginning. I have seen countless instances where someone labors to do it in the car and either: a. trudges through it skinning their knuckles and contorting like a gymnast for days or b. realizes their folly and pulls the motor half way. Removing the engine sounds so extreme but after you do it once it all makes sense. Especially on a carb car where the number of connection points are incredibly small. Being able to walk around the engine and being able to step into the engine bay is so much more comfortable that I would do it even if the overall time was significantly greater. Maybe I'm getting old but working blind and backwards entirely on feel has gotten old for me :)

mrnation8, 308 milano and GrigioGuy like this.
  16. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dear Lord, what’s it feel like to be the cat that ate the canary?

What an amazing score (golf clap)!

PS I’m assuming you removed the airbox cover to inspect carbs, but if not, I’d definitely contact the seller to see if they have it lying around. That would be financially tragic to have to replace.

mrnation8 likes this.
  17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's in the trunk.

mrnation8 likes this.
  18. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    What ever way you use to put in the new cam belts, you must remove the right-hand side inner fender. You will have to remove the air conditioner pump from its mounting (not the hoses). I do not know --- ask others or look around this site --- but I would think that this is a good time to fix the air conditioner system so that you can have a wisp of cool air. I do not know if the early cars have those tiny belts to run it + water pump + alternator. I so, you should look up the tension and maybe buy a Gates gauge for about $10. These belts must be very tight --- otherwise they will slip and break.

mrnation8 and Nuvolari like this.
  19. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Gotcha, I didn’t even pay attention to the flyer! What did you use to get the sticker off? Goo off or just some water/alcohol and go slow?

20. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Man, I wish you lived close by! I’d be bothering you all the time with your knowledge in these haha!

308 milano likes this.
  21. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Thanks, and dang I hate to hear that! It feels like a very heavy deck lid too just from opening it.

22. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    thanks for reply. Y’all make me feel great on the purchase on this forum and I’m NEVER the guy to have a great deal fall into my lap. I’m normally over zealous and act on emotion and pay too much!‍♂️…and I never updated the price because I just didn’t think too much about it- I actually got it for $24k…please don’t hate me haha, again I never fall into good deals and I’m super excited to own the car!!

Thomas Magnum and 308 milano like this.
  23. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You crushed it. Welcome to the club. Doesn't appear there are any major issues that every 40-year-old Ferrari doesn't have upon purchase. Coming from muscle cars, etc, it will be a new experience drive a car with a cruising rev range of 3500-5000. Wait til you hear the carbs above 4k; you'll be grinning from ear to ear and laughing at the critics who say these cars can't drag race modern family cars. It feels like strapping on your own little go-kart! She'll be a pleasure to drive after a little mechanical tidy-up.

mrnation8 likes this.
  24. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    No joke on the information on here- wow! Now I’m going to start with just searching for small stuff like what type of oil to put in, where to drain the gas, (or sump it out), and other small things I can do while the car is on Jack stands.