Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 61 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Even 10$ a gallon. It’s the value in Europe or close Like 9 bucks for a gallon in France and ppl still love their cars;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Not a chance, try and outperform a talented driver in his 3x8 or his Porsche, on a canyon or mountain road you will get obliterated , let alone go up against an F40 , are you kidding me ? Good Grief .

Thank you,

3. Natkingcolebasket69

I love ferraris but I think you are a bit delusional…a talented driver can set a fast lap in any car. Maybe he or she will prefer a 308 over a model 3 but that doesn’t mean he won’t go faster with a 308.

Dom likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #1504 ginoBBi512, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Delusional or not, a model 3 will get obliterated on a canyon, or mountain road., by a 3x8, with someone who knows what they are doing, its that simple. Take your model 3 and go for a ride with your kids to the toy store. Thats about all they are good for lol . Good grief . They look more like a boat than a car !! With that being said, I see these cars all the time where I live, sometimes I am riding or driving behind one, and I have to say they dont handle very well, thats my observation. I do see teslas racing light to light with motorcycles as well, not that it matters. Drive what you like, its a free country. My 328 , is very well set up, when I go around a corner, it feels like chunks of asphalt are going to get ripped up from the road, thats not going to happen with your model 3, I can tell you that, you try and keep up with that,you will end up in the woods. Now, if you put the model 3 up against a 911 , which can match your 3 as far as output goes, well thats a no brainer .Teslas are on an island so to speak, they have no class, no styling, they are boat with an electric motor and 4 wheels, stop comparing them to ICEs, a Toyata Camry has more styling everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Who cares how fast they are, again, you might as well put an electric motor in riding lawnmower , and say " my lawnmower is faster than your gas powered cutter" Thats how stupid it sounds when you compare electric vs, whatever .

Thank you ,

5. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Sorry you have to understand that many people on this forum have had their experiences with many different Ferraris of different eras and have or have had Tesla's as their DD cars. No one is comparing a classic Ferrari to a new Tesla. However, There is no way a mid to late 80's 328 is faster around Laguna Seca than a Tesla Model 3 Performance if the cars are driven by the same performance driver, back to back. Professional race car driver Randy Pobst drove a 1:35 lap in a performance 3 around Laguna Seca. He would be lucky to drive a sub 1:50 lap in a 328. The technology and power differences are just too much comparing these cars that are 30 years or so between them. For sure, I would rather drive a 328 as a fun car on a weekend canyon drive or attend my local cars and coffee, than the Tesla. For sure, I would rather have the Tesla as my DD to work and to do errands in. Both are wonderful cars.

Dom, dodici, Jaguar36 and 2 others like this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Many will say 18% = minority

Article also doesn’t talk about trend? Is this % trending up or down? Since allegedly it studied numbers from 2015-2019 sounds

And as I already mentioned earlier, the Tesla supercharger network was great, now it is incredible, even faster and more reliable than 3rd party charge points. Even the closest rival which is Electrify America is simply sh!et in comparison…

dodici and Jaguar36 like this.
  7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1507 freshmeat, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    A Camry is def a comparable class of car to the Tesla model 3. Let’s take an objective breakdown of your line of thought here.

Top attributes a typical Camry buyer looks for: Reliability, Safety & Value

Reliability: With much fewer moving parts, a Tesla or comparable EV is unequivocally more reliable than an ICE Camry. But hey, if you want to argue this and buy into the nonsensical FUD articles, we can give this to the Camry.

Safety: A Tesla 3 or Y has a higher safety and crash rating than a Camry according to the NHSTA, 5-star to be exact. Model Y has a rollover risk of 7.9%, the lowest of any SUV recorded to date by the organization.

Value: A Tesla or even any EV costs only a fraction the amount to maintain than an ICE Camry across the same mileage. Tires pretty much is it.

So guess what? That’s 2/3 to the Tesla and we haven’t even mentioned the accessible, neck-breaking performance aspect of it.

Performance
    is just a bonus...a Tesla 3 or Y will run circles around a Camry, hell a person can even take a sh!et, have a beer, maybe even squeeze in a quickie until the Camry catches up.

And sorry, you still have a land line? What is this? The 80s? Are you

Dom likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the last couple rebuttals clearly show just how ‘not caught up yet’ some folks are….

:)

Nothing stated is controversial and can easily be verified, yet folks still refuse to acknowledge the facts. To me, it’s become like a religious admonishment.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I like my Siemens refrigerator. It's quiet, keeps my food cold and has been very reliable. It certainly is better than having to leave the house frequently to buy bags of ice to put in coolers. For the purpose of keeping my food fresh it does a great job, but I would never say I am passionate about my refrigerator, even though I am glad to own it.

My 41 year old Countach on the other hand is not an appliance. I would not commute in it, will not take it shopping, nor pick up guests at the airport in it. It gets terrible mileage and is hard to drive in traffic. It possesses the social grace and political correctness of a large caliber handgun. But I am passionate about it and will keep it as long as I can. Both are machines, but other than being made of metal, they have nothing in common, other than my ownership.

It makes little sense to try to get me to give up my Countach to buy a refrigerator. They serve completely different purposes. There is no way you could ever make me as passionate about my refrigerator as my Countach. To tell me it is illogical for me to not like my refrigerator more than my Countach is to not understand the nature of them both (and shows that the person asking has never spent time in a Countach).

I suspect that the average Ferrari owner on this site equally cannot be convinced to equate their Ferrari with a kitchen appliance either.

Face76 likes this.
  10. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Both sides are making subjective arguments, loosely disguised as objectivity. What is considered “progress” is subjective (see previous Clarkson reference). Merely providing a 0-60 time as a basis for comparison is arbitrary, and therefore subjective.

The long-term future of EV is self-driving, decreased mobility, decreased ownership, and decreased overall usage control. All for a few tenths off the 0-60 that nobody will use?

There are no such thing as solutions, only trade offs.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  11. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    18% is by definition the minority but a huge number nonetheless. Can a supercharger network overcome the home convenience factor, which is the main gripe cited in the article? Perhaps. 2020 data are unreliable due to the shutdowns and 2021 data don’t exist yet, and may be compromised as well due to partial shutdowns.

12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I was talking about canyon and mountain roads, not racetracks. On a racetrack, he would need a Ferrari with similar output, lets say a 355 / 430 / 458, road vs track are two completely different animals non the less

Thank you

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm quite confused. 0-60, quarter-mile times, lap times, are literally objective measures.

Given the same driver, same weather, same track, and say a stock Prius and a stock Rimac.

One will ill be faster and one will be slower...every single time.

I get some Ferrari owners don't place speed über alles (I'm one of them) - but that doesn't mean I think Ferrari should just ignore their competitors on and off track.

-Rimac Nevara (All electric - 1700 hp)
    -Mercedes Benz (Already announced their next hypercar is 'all electric')
    -Lotus Evija (All electric - 2000 hp)
    -Bugatti (Next car is all-electric - 2000 hp)
    -Koenigsegg Gemera (All electric - 1700 hp)

Hey, I get it - change is tough on folks.

But it's here and the world will only ACCELERATE this shift not slow down. Again, environment and politics be damned. 0-60 under 2 seconds and 1/4 miles in the 8s don't care about CO2 or what political party is in office.

I know 2,000 and perhaps the next 3,000 hp seems excessive, but then again, I would venture to guess an SF90's 1,000 HP car seems excessive to somebody stuck 10 years ago in the teens.

JERRYZ and Dom like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is my sentiments exactly, it's not an either/or. I love Kurosawa's Hidden fortress AND Lucus's Star Wars.

I don't have to choose one over the other. Nor do I have to pooh-pooh folks that prefer the story played out during Sngoku times over a Galaxy, far, far, away. (or vice versa)

15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Yep, the fact that We are comparing a Tesla to an exotic car in terms of performance specs is a big win for Tesla ( essentially a “great” appliance). A professional driver would likely need at least a Challenge Stradale or F430 F1 to put up comparable times to the Tesla Mode 3 performance on a track like Laguna Seca or Sonoma. My “old” Model S P85 D ludicrous and even my current “base model” model S long range 100d is still much quicker accelerating than my 458 Italia, which, as Fresh Meat had stated is a true bonus, given all the convenience and luxury that the great appliance provides. I don’t think praising what a Tesla does, puts any negative light on what a Ferrari is. Being on this forum for many years, I believe most of us truly love Ferrari for everything the car and the lifestyle that it brings.

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    For the nth time, I repeat that the Tesla Model S Plaid OWNS the Laguna Seca record for fastest time for all production cars EVER produced.

showme1946 and Dom like this.
  17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Electric cars are growing extremely fast where as ICE market share is declining. Anyone can find an anecdotal story of someone who couldn't figure out how to keep their EV charged. The majority of EV owners will never go back to an ICE. Why do you think EVERY major automaker is spending gazillions of $ to introduce EV's to their lineups and most have admitted their ICE products are going away soon.

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    During the 2014 Superbike World Championship season, Tom Sykes set a time of 1:21.811 on the Kawasaki. The 2019 McLaren Senna holds the current production car lap record. Driver Randy Pobst piloted the unmodified McLaren to a 1:27.62 lap time during MotorTrend's 2019 best driver car award testing.

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I cant see how a 4500 lb electric car can beat any Ferrari in the canyons
    or the race track, and if so , whats the big deal, its a boat with an electric motor, who cares what the lap time is . I know where I live , you dont stand a chance if your behind me through ACH . lol

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    During the 2014 Superbike World Championship season, Tom Sykes set a time of 1:21.811 on the Kawasaki. The 2019 McLaren Senna holds the current production car lap record. Driver Randy Pobst piloted the unmodified McLaren to a 1:27.62 lap time during MotorTrend's 2019 best driver car award testing.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Have you ever experianced a Tesla from the drivers seat? I will also say a Tesla handles pretty damn well for a large sedan..and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that is has a very low center of gravity due to the battery location.

I would venture a guess that you and your 328 would be quite embarrassed by any model of Tesla, winding backroads or not. The 328 was not an exceptionally fast car even when it was new.

JERRYZ, Dom and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

To each their own with this topic, it's like the Ford v Chevy thing.

I'll eventually own an electric car, doesn't have to be a Tesla just the one that takes that technology to the next level where it can become the defacto fuel source.
    But I'll also keep my Ferrari because young men and women will continue to have a Ferrari poster on their wall , can't same the same thing about a Tesla.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Im going to ask my friend to take let me drive his 2019 S, maybe he will agree , I have no doubt that its fast as heck, but to look at it, ( I think its AWD, ) one would think its heavy as a boat and not to good in the handling department, but with AWD, that makes a big difference in any car .

Thank you

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take the drive. I honestly think you will be pleasantly surprised. And I will bet a little bit shocked at the performance. It could very well change your opinion of the electric car. I know it did mine..that's for damn sure

25. Natkingcolebasket69

True!

JERRYZ likes this.