488- Best leather maintainer? | FerrariChat

488- Best leather maintainer?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rarri925, Jun 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rarri925

Rarri925 Rookie

Dec 31, 2015
    I want to preserve the leather as much as possible. Can anyone recommend anything I can buy? I want a product that won't take away from the cars original smell and isn't greasy.

2. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've been using Leatherique for decades. I have a 35yo Porsche I've owned for 22 years with nearly perfect leather and I attribute much of that to using Leatherique. You condition first, then clean. The result is soft leather with no greasy or shiny finish. I just did the full conditioner/cleaner application to my 458, and for the next year or so will only use the cleaner as it also has some conditioning properties. This is the best vid I've seen on how to use it properly:

Rarri925 likes this.
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    To me leatherique is overkill in this question. For leather that’s been neglected, it’s the perfect answer. There are simpler solutions for routine, periodic conditioning.

Griots products are ok for sure, I personally use Zaino leather care as it conditions the leather AND smells like leather. There are plenty of decent leather care products around. Go to autogeek.com and you’ll see a bunch of choices…

https://www.autogeek.net/indet.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chizz likes this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    +1

5. Keep the leather clean (don't eat or drink in your car)

Don't park and leave it under the sun for extended periods of time.

Wipe off any dirt or grime with a damp microfiber cloth.

Done.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I use Leather Honey, but if the foam backing rots you are out of luck. Take care of your leather, but realize you may be replacing it either way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with this. Modern automotive leathers are treated at the factory. Some of the leather products out there will strip off the treatment and then you have actually made the leather easier to degrade. Your best approach is don’t let any stains just sit and try to use a slightly damp microfiber and a dry microfiber to clean gently- do not try to use physical energy to remove stains. For stains that will not come out easily, use a leather cleaner approved for modern automotive leathers. If possible don’t leave the car in the sun when not driving.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.