Ferrari 360 - ECU & TCU - Project HELP | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 - ECU & TCU - Project HELP

Discussion in '360/430' started by rmarchjr, May 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Hello wonderful community,

I am posting in the 360/430 forum instead of the challenge forum as the project is relevant to all our cars.

I own a 360 Challenge race car and a 430 3pedal road car. Many of us are not satisfied with what is effectively "dealer only" support for F1 bleeding (TCU) and the inability to modify the BOSHE 7.3 H4 ecu's for tuning purposes. ??$20-25K for a SD2 and no support from F or $19K for a Leonardo?? Yes our cars are pricey but that just seems unfair to force us to pay an extra $20K just to be able to take care of the cars we enjoy.

This project is specifically for the 360 with F1.

GOAL : Replace the ECU's with a programmable (unlocked) unit without effecting the operation of the TCU.
    ALSO ACCEPTABLE: Replace ECU & TCU with programmable units.

I want the ability to adjust fuel & ignition maps to suit engine modifications and adjust to higher octane racing fuels and increased engine displacement or higher compression ratios. Also to read any error codes easily and cheaply. I do understand that I could just purchase a 458 to go faster but to me working on these cars is as much fun as driving them and we all could benefit from some aftermarket development as it does not appear that Duramertic will have a scanner for us anytime soon. Scanning for error codes is not the primary goal but could become a part of this project, although I would prefer simply replacing the locked ECU's with something that gives us both the ability to inexpensively diagnose issues and modify tuning all in one step.

I know that some of you have delved deeply into the electronics package and would ask for some help...

Has anyone replaced the ECU's with MOTEC units? Type? or any other ECU?
    Does anyone know specifically what the CANBUS protocols are for ECU and TCU?
    What sensor data is being exchanged between the ECU & TCU? Pinouts?
    What sensor data is being exchanged between the ECU & ABS system?

Any experiences, comments or help is appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Saku

Saku Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    Looking for similar info. Project with turbocharged engine and F1 transmission from 355. Is there any cars running any brand aftermarket programmable ecu with original F1 TCU? I've heard of 360 F1 TT in UK with Motec M800.

If there are none, it seems easier to write custom software package for Motec M1 including trans control than try to decode original can buses etc.

3. mapper

mapper Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    i'm also very interessted how we can get to work a Motec M800 with the F1 ECU. And how we can reflash the factory ecu on F430 and F1 Gearbox. Also if it is possible to modified the standart ECU for forced induction applications.

4. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    No one make headway with this?

5. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'll be running either M800 or M84 (looking at spec and expected usage) on a 360 V8 very soon. I am in Australia, and have some of the best Motec guys not far from me. I'm also going to run a C125 Data Logging dash. I'll update when I have some results from the fitting of the ECU.

This is not a normal application... ;)

6. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Unfortunately no real progress on unlocking the ECU'S from immobilizer. I have been able to access and modify the maps, but that's about all. The power goals for my project will be much easier to accomplish by moving a 430 engine, wiring harness, dash and ecu's over to the 360 Challenge.

Hay mapper- you might find this interesting-
    We found that on a Novitec 360 they left the stock ECU's to keep the canbus intact w the f1 tcu. They added what appears to be a haltech controller for the additional (2)injectors in the intake manifold. I was expecting something a bit more elegant, like upgrading all 8 injectors and a single ECU. No such luck.

I agree with Saku- it does seem like starting fresh with the motec for engine and tcu will be the way to go, unfortunately that means a full ECU remap.

also agree with superflyte - nothing here is easy or simple. It will be worth it, I love my 2600# 360 on a racetrack.

Please keep us updated...

7. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Im looking at doing a full rewire using a motec and the big catch were trying to work through is the tcu as well as this is for my challenge car. My tuner is making inquiries this week and I'll let you know what he finds. Fwiw GMG says they do motec work on 360 and 430 ch cars specifically on their site so maybe they've done a full motec with the tcu before.

8. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    old thread, but still an interesting concept. would be a cool project for sure!

clean512 likes this.
  9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Perhaps contact 360trev, and see if there is any progress on the release of the Swiss Army knife which may be able to tackle this stuff, using the original ecu’s

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The immobilizer delete on the ME7.3 ECUs was originally done quite some ago, back around 2014 I think. But stepping outside of the original ECUs and using an aftermarket ECU would allow much more customization and add-ons because every aspect of the ECU would be available to exploit. MoTec as well as Haltech mentioned above, could be a very cool path to explore. It's time to move forward with something more commercially available and much more supportable instead of relying on one or two individuals to respond to requests or to live forever. The standard 360 uses dual ECUs, but didn't the 360 NGT use a single ECU?

11. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Your questions are above my pay grade.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I remember seeing a photo of it recently and I thought that I had saved it or bookmarked it. But unfortunately I cannot find it. It was purple, I think.