$1500.00 PPI? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$1500.00 PPI?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Kent Dellenbusch, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I bet they are all represented as majors when sold.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    PPI prices are all over the place. $1500? Good for him if he gets it. Its the highest liability and always needs to be done now. If you have any kind of business that means dropping everything on what you are doing, put the car back together enough to get it off the rack and put another car on. Then chances are the car will leave town and you did all that for someone and a car you will never see again. Last time I did it for an out of town buyer he was a lawyer and a very nice guy. He got it home, took it to the local very well known Ferrari dealer for a safety inspection to register it and they promptly told him the engine was blowing up and they were afraid to even run it to move to the lot.
    He called to ask me if I had known any of that. Good thing for me I was able to talk him into taking it to another local shop. They told him that dealer does it all the time. I was very fortunate I was not sued. No thanks, $1500 or not that is a job not worth the money.

tazz99, Innovativethinker and rob lay like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just finished $13000 job on TR. $2000 parts.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its why I wont do work for car dealers.

Kent Dellenbusch and rob lay like this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The thing about PPI's that some folks don't think about is that it is a guarantee of NOTHING. It simply says that "At this moment, the car is OK." That doesn't mean it can't blow up in 5 miles.
    ;)
    I have a LOT of experience with marine surveys which are far more involved than any PPI I have ever heard about on a car. There have been lawsuits filed over exactly what RifleD referred to - something went awry not long after the survey. But, to my knowledge, none of those lawsuits went very far. A survey (or PPI) is not a warranty and none is implied, regardless of what the purchaser of the survey/PPI wants to believe.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know of a few cases in automobiles where they went very far. Even if you win, you lose. Defending yourself against stupidity can be very expensive. In this business the liabilities are high enough. We certainly do not need to go looking for more. Most of the shops still doing them are because they need the business. The sad reality is in all business a big part is liability avoidance. $1500 is nowhere near enough.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #32 308 milano, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    $1500 PPI probably would leave me a little irritated at first but upon further thought..all these lifts, tools, electricity bills etc. need to be paid, It’s not just the technicians time.
    Rifledriver brought up a really good point that many of us overlook and that is to do a PPI is really a huge waste of his time which also opens him up to substantial liability. Doesn’t take much to be named in the lawsuit, just need to be standing close by LOL 90% of the time this vehicle is headed elsewhere and now he’s just lost another eight hours of shop time that would have been devoted to returning customer.

sorry guys, posted this at the same time The comments above were posted so just echoing their sentiments.

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Oh, one other item. If any of you decide to walk into in independent garage with a handful of purchased parts you want a Ferrari technician to install to save you some cash, could you please record it and post it here? LOL

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    or trunk full :eek:
    Rifledriver >> could you comment on this situation :)

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had someone "Interview " me to possibly do a major service on a 355. Near the end of a wasted hour he sprung on me he would supply the parts and how would that change the price? I told him the price would be the same and he would receive no warranty. I said the price would be justified by all the time I would spend sorting out wrong parts and substandard parts and the job delays based on that. I also told him that if something went wrong he would blame my work and I would blame his parts. While I was explaining that I was walking to the door and timed it so when I was done he was shown out.

True story. I can provide witnesses.

Few ideas are more stupid.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's the price of "We don't want to do PPIs"

Kent Dellenbusch and tbakowsky like this.
  12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    3000 for his belt / bearing and water pump service , is fair, Like I said, mine was around the same, 3000 included the parts I bought from Ferr Parts. A valve adjustment should not be more than an additional 1800.000

Thank you

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I am talking apples and apples . parts included. I paid around the same 3000.00. Now if you want to throw a valve adjustment in, maybe 1800.00 additional is a fair price. Ive been around with my 328 and said shops for 22 years, Ive talked to a lot of F Techs, I have heard all when it comes to the problems up to the 430 . The 328s are the easiest to work on, and I made sure I was not taken advantage of, even my local Ferrari dealer gave me a decent deal, maybe 800.00 more than an independent shop all total, but my car stayed clean, it was kept at a killer Ferrari dealership. and they did everything I asked, and I did not have to bring it back. Im well on my way to be able to at some point , buy a 488 GTB, and I will find out all I need to know about what Im an in for, as far as service is concerned .
    Thank you

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    then don't call it a major, my bad for not talking apples to apples to the OP, but you were talking to me with your response.

15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I miss spoke if i said major. by bad.

Thank you

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    indirectly, you "disagreed" with my comment about major pricing.

either way Brian has called us all out for being loose with talking belts vs. majors.

I'll stick by my statement a complete major by a qualified and experienced independent is $5-6k.

Kent Dellenbusch and ginoBBi512 like this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Every time I read "major" I cringe. There simply is no such thing. There are annual , biannual, 15k, 30k services, etc. At intervals of 15k valves should be adjusted. Other than that it's pretty much what the car needs. When I take my car in for service, which is rare, I tel the shop what I want done. If they feel it needs something additional upon inspection I listen and decide.

But $1500 for a PPI on a 3x8 is crazy.

18. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    Will they be traveling to the car? This can easily 3x the cost of an inspection in downtime for the mechanic if so

19. vinny72758

vinny72758 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2011
    Rogers, AR
    Full Name:
    Vince
    You need factor in several things since the PPI shop is in Scottsdale and the car in Las Vegas:
    1. Drive time. Scottsdale to Las Vegas and back = 10 hours with a stop to pee and eat.
    2. PPI time = 6 hours.
    3. Mileage reimbursement for the travel (600 miles) = $360.
    4. Lodging = $100

You're paying a trained tech $65/hour plus expenses. Seems cheap.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You should. Within the industry over many makes the term major has been used widely for at least 30 years. It meant the large scheduled service. The timing and mileage of that has changed. People outside of the industry with little or no understanding or point of reference have really destroyed any understandable meaning it once had and the industry has been perfectly happy to take advantage of that.
    I routinely get requests for a belt service. WTF is it? There really once was a belt service but now wtf knows what it means.
    In the case of the internet more information really has driven up prices and costs and not the other way around. Hope you are all happy.

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yep - I restore old tube (valve) amplifiers. Many of them were dirt cheap but a UTube guy did a lengthy video on restoration of a particular amp and suddenly, that amp went from being a 15 dollar item at any garage sale/$50 on Ebay to $500 for an unrestored one!

Hey, its a weird world! Nowadays, when you buy a new gas can, you need to buy a "kit" to make it functional!:mad: https://www.amazon.com/CM-Concepts-Style-Replacement-Spout/dp/B07DD1FZNY

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look..I'll give you guys some insight.

If you walk into a shop thinking you are speacial just because you own or are looking to own an expensive car..forget it. We are surrounded by these so called "speacial"cars all day long. To us they are just another crap box we have to fix.

You will indeed get the "go away..we think you are going to be a pain in the ass" pricing. And I think that is exactly what you got.

In others words, you may have given off the impression that you are a customer who will never be satisfied and complain about everything. Once a shop gets that impression prices increase substantially.

On the other end, they maybe just didn't want to do it and threw a number at you and hopefully you would go away. If you took it.. free money to the shop.

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Suppose next you’re going to tell me you’re not the least bit swayed if I waltz in wearing my Scuderia Ferrari Red polo shirt, cap and tight white shorts?

24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Only if you have the matching red shoes and socks both with horsies on them.

Oh, and don't forget the horsie ball cap too. :D

As to the OP who seems to have gone missing, I still wonder which shop quoted which price. I'm still confused but like was pointed out again if the price was to get the car from Vegas to AZ, do the PPI, then back to Vegas, that would be a more than fair price in my eyes.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Man I like you but u seem very negative towards your job these days. I mean I get what u are saying but seems like u have lost the passion. That’s sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent Dellenbusch and eskamobob1 like this.