488 - How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

488 How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My last interaction with our DMV was during early COVID and the office was closed....just mailed everything in and it was all approved immediately.....first time that I didn’t have to go in at least 3 times.

I honestly think they look at the make of car and they just want to troll us.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Continuing the DMV complaints I had a very frustrating experience recently trying to transfer a registration from another home/ state. The old title name ended with "revocable " instead of "revocable trust" because someone had forgotten to do it correctly. At the DMV for the new title I asked for "trust" to be added. They refused and after 20 min of arguing I was dismissed. Now my new title appears as if my last name is Revocable.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Better than “Not Sure”

junc likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’m scheduled to pick it up from my detailer on Saturday morning. Most importantly, I was able to get it registered after first suffering an unnecessary setback. I’ll be driving ALL weekend long. Can’t wait.

Coincid, Gh21631, Art138 and 2 others like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Now that I have had some extended seat time, I feel confident sharing some of my initial thoughts. I am not a professional reviewer, and my driving skills are probably closer the bottom end, rather than the top end of Ferrari owners, so I will limit my opinions to some basic observations with the hope that anyone reading this, and considering a Pista, might gain some insight.

First, two things shocked me immediately. I wasn’t prepared for how comfortable the car is, nor was I prepared for how much I would enjoy that comfort. Maybe because it stands in stark contrast to my 765LT, but I found the Pista’s comfort to actually be a feature and not a bug. I can see why some daily their Pista. On the same roads that the 765LT and Performante beat me to death on, the Pista just gobbles up without a complaint.

Second, the car is plenty fast. The 765LT is certainly faster, but I am not sure it’s even necessary on normal street driving. As everyone has mentioned before, the power delivery feels very NA, with non-existent turbo lag. The Ferrari witchcraft in this category is quite impressive. The 700 horses delivery the thrill of speed. It’s quite easy to gain speed in this car.

Third, the car feels much lighter than you would expect it to given its relatively generous curb weight. That is a solid accomplishment. It simply does not feel bloated in the least.

Fourth, the exhaust note sucks. It just does. I suppose that it fits the luxury comfortable sport cruiser ethos of the overall car, but I am going to have to remedy that like stat.

Fifth, it’s remarkably spacious. In a strange twist, I am not sure that I wasn’t more comfortable in the Pista than I am in my 812. Not sure how that makes any sense, but that is my early impression. One thing I can say emphatically, it’s way more spacious than the Performante that it replaced, and much more spacious than either my Ford GT or Viper ACR.

Sixth, overall impression is that the car is just an absolute pleasure to drive, and gorgeous to look at.

6. Great review; glad you're enjoying the car.

The Pista is about as NA as any FI car can get.

How is the 765LT? The 720S is indeed fast, but there is lag. On the track, you don't notice it, but on the street it's quite noticeable.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    After nearly a year to this day of hunting for options, I've finally reached a solution that I really enjoy!

MANDALAY, Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

The Pista is drop dead gorgeous and I agree it is more than fast enough for the street. The sound is easy to remedy and there are now a few people with good solutions to draw from.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Can you tell us more about it?

Thecadster likes this.
  10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great comments and congratulations The Cadster!
    To solve the sound lacking, I had the dealer again unplug the vacuum lines and insert golf tees in the lines for 100% valve opening! This is the same sokution I used in my 458 and 488 as well as the 812. Reversible and not an expensive solution. I can just keep staring at the lines of the Pista. For me it is the best Ferrari I have ever owned!

MANDALAY, johnr265 and Thecadster like this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Hey @JackCongo - I'll post it here, so as not to take away from this thread discussion too much: Pista Exhaust Upgrade

JackCongo and Lagunae92 like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I wouldn't unplug the valves, I believe you will lose some torque/power if you do this. I would go with a valved exhaust system that you can control or more simple just a valve controller.

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    @Thecadster so happy you’re enjoying the Pista. It’s absolutely a tremendous luxury car with super performance and beautiful to boot. Definitely don’t sell. I think the 765 and Pista is as good as it gets. I chose 765 and 992 TTS because I wanted a dailyish that would blend in more and I found the new Turbo S to feel even more violent at regular speeds due to the traction.

I have to say though that I agree the 765 is fully immersive. I don’t find it punishing though. At least in comfort mode it’s fine. And at faster speeds it gets better (so just quit *****footing around already!).

I think the 765 is absolutely the most bad**s car I’ve ever driven though. The fact that it’s street legal sort of blows me away. So don’t sell it either!

Coincid, Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @Thecadster how many miles on the Pista so far? I found it took maybe a few hundred or so before the exhaust sound improved, or maybe I got used to it? I think its gotten better the more I've driven.

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That's how it is. All Cadster need do is put some miles on it and it will be fine. It takes around 800kms to break in and the sound opens up. There is no way anyone could say this car quiet unless they have serious hearing problems. Even with a helmet on I've found I would not want it any louder or it would get to me. A valve controller is all that's needed at urban off throttle driving situations and it's plenty loud enough even just cruising about. Mine sounds amazing....and so I keep getting told. Anyone saying this car sounds crap is beyond help.

Art138 likes this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The 765LT bends time and space. I perceive some slight turbo lag (especially compared to the Pista), but everything is sped up so fast that it doesn’t really matter. The shift points being shortened makes it easier to stay in the power band and you shuffle through the gears so fast that the turbo lag barely registers. I love the car. It gives zero blanks…it’s raw and angry and uncomfortable (very big dude in Senna seats) and is completely unapologetic.

Coincid likes this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I sure hope you guys are right. The car has 440 miles on it (I got it with 260). I am going to start with a Capristo valve controller (I have one on my 812 and I love it) and escalate from there, as necessary. I am committed to the car, and will figure out a way to make it work for my needs. I find the car much quieter than the 765LT. Frankly, to my ears, it’s not even close.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Turbo lag in the 765 can be virtually eliminated by taking advantage of the short gearing by shifting in the higher range and driving in sport or even better, in track mode.
    Senna seats for a big guy is challenging and the P1 seats definitely are more comfortable.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #219 Shadowfax, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Cadster I was seriously disappointed with the sound in mine when I first got it, so much so I was seriously considering unloading it. I recall taking it back to the dealer with about 600 kms on it - which I'd racked up on a country run - and left it at the dealer until the valve controller was figured out - that way I could make proper judgement on how to proceed as in sell it or keep it. Anyway, once the controller was figured out and running and I picked it up it was noticeably better driving it home with the valves open even if not hugely so - but it was enough to satisfy and tell I was actually in a Ferrari - not a lexus. From then on it wasn't really until after a decent run after I'd turned the 1000km break in and started getting into the throttle harder that I began noticing a marked change in the volume had occurred along the way. I particularly noticed this when I got back into town at town speeds. So my advice is just be patient, do the run in but in the meantime I would not waste time driving it without a controller as that will only do your head in and leave you wanting all the time. Some may say just peg the valves permanently open but then you will find when it does open up you will want the valves restored on occasion. For example on the track I run mine with the valves in stock setting and I can tell you the car is more than loud enough even with the helmet on it pumps out a lot of noise. Using the 765 as an example I would say the Pista is equally as loud actually especially on throttle or with valves open.

Caeruleus11, Thecadster and Jo Sta7 like this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you can get your hips in they are.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For what its worth, my experience with the valve controllers is they are not a good idea unless all you care about is sound, I find- at least with the NA cars- they kill low RPM throttle response- unless you also get a tune. All of this stuff is setup at the factory for various reasons. Personally, I would drive it through the break in period and then really drive it in as sporty a manner as you can and see what you think. Race mode will sound better than Sport. When I got the car I thought even cold starts were too quiet- now, I think it might be one of the more loud cars I have, and I have some loud cars. It does quiet down, and for sure, the exhaust sound is different, but over time I guess I've started paying attention to other sounds, like the engine sound itself. For what its worth, I have not heard the 765 but other recent McLaren's have sounded really good so I think its just how Ferrari is implementing it. I also have to stress I think the place for a mod on this car is the tires, unless you can get them constantly above 120F, you are not really getting the best out of the tires, they are not in their operating window, and thus, for me, I was always wondering why the car didn't feel as "playful" as I'd like- I like to get that sense of feeling from a car's chassis that gives me confidence to take small liberties. I always had a feeling the Pista was just a touch aloof. It didn't occur to me until I put my winter tires on the car, and I discovered a new level of fun. It was like my 458 but now on steroids! So for this summer, I've fitted MPS4S tires, and I am much happier. I might do one track day a year, so I am happy to lose the ultimate track ability the Cup2 tires provide.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No problem with my hips. The side bolsters are obtrusive and uncomfortable.

23. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

In spite of journey's going against you sometimes, I think the journey is half the fun. Not only that, often times that journey leads you in directions you weren't seeking and also helps solidify your original thoughts as well. That is one beautiful looking ride. Myself, I am partial to blue exteriors and in your case, that blue carbon fiber going into the interior really makes that all pop! You gotta love science and art coming together to form both art and machine.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    [QUOTE="I’m also going to put Exoshield on the front windshield.[/QUOTE]

How do you like the Exoshield?