F430 - DIY water/oil pump replacement | FerrariChat

F430 - DIY water/oil pump replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by AAAALLL, Nov 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AAAALLL

AAAALLL Rookie

Mar 26, 2018
    I see a LOT of talk on the water/oil pump and its limited life span and how expensive it is to repair and how long it takes to remove the bottom shield, etc, etc..., BUT, what I don't see is any discussion on DIY replacement. So, the voodoo question is....has anyone attempted to replace this unit themselves? Lots of people say the car is easy to work on - Yeah I know, only a certified Ferrari mechanic should ever touch your Ferrari, but we all want to do it ourselves. I work on aircraft engines which are far more complicated than a Ferrari. Has anyone done it? If so, thoughts, special tools, etc...

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would start with a workshop manual .. read the section that has to do with the pump and a the prerequisites

Once you read it you will know if you can do it or not

If you are planning any work on your car .. the first thing in my opinion is get a workshop and electric wiring manuals ..

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is not in the workshop manual, just says awaiting info.
    One of the members on here did have some repair kits he sourced

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I cut out the section you need for the replacement

I always like to read the manual first and visualize the whole process first

I hope this helps

Attached Files:

hessank, whatheheck and f355spider like this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just a FYI - this is from a scuderia but I think they are similar - you can check part numbers to ensure the same

whatheheck likes this.
  6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Scud is the same. The mechanical seal leaks on the water side. The seal can be replaced. As above, someone on here was doing kits recently for a reasonable price.

7. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have the OEM parts for rebuild. Just an FYI, there are two mechanical seals in the pump. One upfront behind the sealed bearing and one in the rear of the water pump. There is also a shaft seal and bearing between the rear mechanical seal and the oil pump.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/430-waterpump-kit.562019/

whatheheck likes this.
  8. AAAALLL

AAAALLL Rookie

Mar 26, 2018
    This is AWESOME !! Thanks for the details. I did order a manual. Now I can better understand whats what. The small drip is most certainly coolant. It is the exact color and weight of my coolant so I'm confident on that. Can you send me your repair kit info to my email. [email protected]. Thanks everyone.

9. Jtatt

Jtatt Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    I’m in need of a new oil pump any help where I can get one or a repair kit?

10. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Please pm me.
    Thank you

Jon66 likes this.
  11. jasonbedell420

Sep 20, 2014
    How do you get that 17 mm bolt out on the front side of the engine mount that has the water pump bolt in front of it in the way?

12. jedijingle

jedijingle Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Sun Diego California
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Jason give me a call I have some pointers.
    Fyi recommend replacing the radal lip seal where the output spline shaft is located on the engine block. I think it's number 34 on the exploded parts diagram of the oil pump.
    Long story short for the bolt that is difficult to get to on the engine perch. You got the correct size socket and then you get a grinder a bench grinder and you grind it down so that it is super stubby. If possible I think you can use a long extension I recommend quarter inch extensions with adapters keep it thin.
    Getting the pump in place and out of place may require you to unbolt the engine from both sides and use a jack underneath the engine to raise and lower the engine and support it.
    I am replacing some of my hardware bolts with stainless steel different bolts some socket head Allen some actual six sided bolts to make installation and removal easier. I have done the rebuild fairly recently so you might want to give me a text if you run into any problems. 8582294271.

It is recommended to remove the oil suction tube that spans between the oil pump and the transmission. When ordering the o-rings for those two junction points order a few of them because they are easy to rip and you might go through a couple of them getting the two back into place. Trick for that too.
    Cheers Jingle

13. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S

Do you have to remove the main seal and cover to do this job correctly?

14. jedijingle

jedijingle Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Sun Diego California
    Full Name:
    John
    I recommend doing all the seals in the water pump and the o-rings in the oil pump and the radial lip seal on the engine block side.
    Feel free to txt me.

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner