Windshield/Windscreen quality issues? | FerrariChat

Windshield/Windscreen quality issues?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rianl, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rianl

rianl Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    rianl
    I'm the proud owner of a Portofino. I've had the car 6 weeks, and with summer weather, love the dual-personality of the car as a convertible and a coupe. However, 3 days after I got the car I picked up a stone chip which cracked the windscreen. I was gutted, but wrote it off as pure bad luck. Fortunately it's an insurance job and Autoglass in UK did a decent job replacing it with a original Ferrari branded windscreen - even though it took them 5 hours!! That was ~3 weeks ago (after waiting 10 days for the windscreen to get shipped).

On Friday, on a warm morning I decided to take the car out, and bam! Another stone chip and another cracked windscreen. And no, I wasn't driving like a bat out of hell - doing 45-50 mph on a relatively good quality A road in UK. I couldn't believe it, but it got me thinking... Is there a quality/strength problem with these windscreens or is it just horrible luck?? I have a few other cars, and never picked up a stone chip before. Granted, they're not as low as the Ferrari, but then I used to have a 911, which has roughly same height as the Portofino. Any thoughts/similar experiences much appreciated.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Install protective windshield film regardless of the cause.

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    That is odd, my 89 328 lasted 100k miles before I had to replace it , and thats because it got its first crack in 22 years. I would not be surprised if Ferrari is using sub standard glass, they do with the switches, ( un glued ) , so why not the glass. Did you get to see the rock, or whatever it was that cracked it, I did when mine cracked, and I have to say, it was like nut or bolt, I saw it spat out right from the wheel of a large truck, and let me tell you, as nasty as it was, it only cracked my windscreen about 1/2 inch at best or ( 1 Cm ) . I did not really have to replace it, but insurance covered it, and now I have a brand new windscreen to enjoy for another 20 years hopefully.

Thank you

4. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Likely crappy luck...I hit a deer in 1975 then nothing for45 years. Then 3 deer strikes in an 11 month period. Go figure.