For Sale - 2007 Ferrari 430 Challenge - $84,900 obo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 2007 Ferrari 430 Challenge - $84,900 obo

Discussion in 'Cars' started by GLENN@TEAM AI, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Let's try $79,900 and willing to hear any trades that you may have!

2. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It’s a good car. He does a nice job with the challenge cars.

3. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Re: earlier discussion about making it road legal. It will be possible to legalize it next year as long as you can modify the lights to have blinkers/flahser/etc.

Great price! Someday people will be kicking themselves over not buying when they were this cheap.

Ryan S. likes this.
  4. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Very cool looking car.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Making a former cheaper racecar street legal is a fool's errand. A racecar that was once a streetcar even is a huge undertaking to return to streetcar. It will also never be as good as the streetcar. I have converted a number of streetcars to racecars. You don't really have an appreciation for all the junk in a streetcar until you tear it all out and make a big pile in your garage.

Il Tifoso and NMNMNMN like this.
  6. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    No modifications necessary aside from signals/lights. Could even run DOT slicks if you really wanted to. Obviously not a reasonable solution as a daily driver, but if you live within 30 mins of a track and don't want to trailer the car, can be a nice setup. Plus it's very cool to bring a Challenge car to a cars and coffee.

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is so much more to it than that. But go for it. We want to see.

8. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    #33 WillskiGT, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    There isn't if you're using the Vermont loophole. If you aren't familiar, Vermont doesn't title cars older than 15 years - you simply get a registration and plate. You don't have to be a Vermont resident to register a vehicle in Vermont.

So with a bill of sale and VIN # (plus 6% tax), you can plate any vehicle, even a racing car, in VT. Then, it's possible to transfer this registration to your state and receive a title for the car. Obviously, this doesn't work in some states with more stringent titling/inspection/emissions requirements, such as California.

I mentioned lights/signals because some states require an additional inspection of the vehicle when registering out of state titled/registered cars.

This is how people are road registering 360 Challenges (there are a couple floating around on the internet). 430 Challenges built in 2006 would be eligible already, and 2007 cars would be eligible next year.

It's also possible to simply slap a dealer plate and run it on the street - as your dealer plate and registration (here in GA at least) are not tied to any particular car, and there are no real restrictions on what cars you can put the plate on. But, that is certainly a legal grey area.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  9. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How can a common man obtain a dealer plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Get a dealership license. Here in GA you need to take a 1 day class and have a business location with a landline phone and a sign of a specified size. You also need a dealership insurance policy (~$5-$10k/yr depending on your coverage limits), $30k surety bond (costs $3-400 a year with good credit), and any occupancy license required by your county/municipality.

It's not worth it for one car, but if you already have the license, a neat perk is that basically any car you slap the plate on becomes "road legal" more or less.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I assume we are all over age 20 and no longer look for the the shady shop and pass the tech 100 bucks for a smog certificate? I also assume that Ferrari people have a reasonable networth to protect such that playing in a legal gray area having a streetcar designed with airbags and SRS but now having none or proper occupant protection zones , is not smart. A 2007 Ferrari needs to be brought up to 2007 standard for the street not 1969 standards a diy would try to implement in his street rod. What do you think a lwayer would say to you when your passenger is injured and you had no airbags in your car or even the factory seatbelts that this 430 never came with? I'm pretty sure if you told your insurance company what you are doing and that the vin of the car is a facotry racecar VIN that you would be uninsurable.

13. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    When I referred to a legal grey area, I meant the dealer license/plate method. It varies by state whether it is legal or not. The other method will allow the car to be street legal, and insurance companies will insure the car.

I don't think I made any claims as to liability in an accident. IANAL and won't pretend to be. It is possible to legally register and insure the vehicle on the road in some jurisdictions. Period. You've continued to change your argument (and I don't necessarily disagree with it being a less than great idea), but the fact of the matter is that you can purchase this car and obtain plates/title/insurance for it in 6.5 months. It is not that different to buying a 1996 or earlier race car and registering it for road use, which is perfectly legal in almost every state.

Is it a great idea to do it and use it as a daily driver? Of course not. Turning radius is awful, suspension far too harsh, no air conditioning, no way to lock the car, roll bars can be fatal to a non-helmeted occupant, etc, etc.

Could you buy the car and (in my case) drive up to AMP or Road Atlanta for a track day and back without needing to fuss with a trailer? Yes.

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Come on guys. Umbrella policy. Specialty insurance (Lloyds will insure anything for HNW guys). Taking a passenger, make them sign a release. Big deal. There are solutions to everything...

BOKE and WillskiGT like this.
  15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You should read your umbrella policy.

16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Really? Should I? Had no idea... maybe I’ll read the lloyds policy too that specifically outlines race cars since I own a couple and have used their insurance for 20 years. :rolleyes:

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    See if they let you drive fudged racecars on the street. See if they provide liability coverage while you are racing on the racetrack. If they do let us know exactly the policy name and your broker. I have friends who would love to have liability coverage outside what SCCA provides us. Totally serious! There is no personal or exccess liabilty policy that provides liaiblity coverage when racing cars.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You talked HNW risk and virtually every guy I know with real cars knows and does the same thing. My specific written policy is a rider that allows me to use the cars for non-timed non-competitive events and covers passenger liability and use on street. I do charity drives every year and ride alongs at several tracks. Call Lloyds of London and write whatever policy you’d like. It’s not a secret insurers will cover anything you’d like if you pay the policy.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is HNW? I guess I'm a poseur without real cars. I would love to have liability coverage outside SCCA. I have looked on and off for 20 years none exists.

20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Try here.....

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    High net worth.

BOKE likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    sure “non-timed” event. Who goes on track and does not time? Yup…as I said no liability coverage. Real cars what are those? Not a used up 430c. Risking the car is not an issue. They are a tiny part of net worth of any intelligent individual who understands diversified portfolio. Driving a charity event on track is not competing on a track.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Carl, come on man.:rolleyes::D:D:D
    Read @JAM1's posts again, You are completely missing his point. Let it go and let this ad float.;)

ScottS likes this.
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m familiar with your tangential argument approach so I don’t know why I expected anything less here, but let’s review and yet to clarify for the benefit of readers that want to understand the reality of insuring a car like this.

Initially the discussion was about making this challenge car “street legal”, to which Carl claimed the following: “I'm pretty sure if you told your insurance company what you are doing and that the vin of the car is a facotry [sic] racecar [sic] VIN that you would be uninsurable.”

I responded explaining insurance for a race car that may be driven on the road is in fact attainable. Carl argued on the basis he hadn’t been able to find such coverage to wit I responded with how and who specifically insures cars under similar circumstances such as road use and non-competitive events. Here Carl decided to pivot to a new and immaterial argument that focused on my own specific insurance being for “non-timed” events - apparently disregarding the initial street car insurance statement. The fact that I don’t insure liability for timed events absolutely does not mean it isn’t available, I just don’t use it for on track as I don’t typically have passengers to create liability on a track so it’s unnecessary. If however I wanted to have a passenger in such an event I would simply contact lloyds and amend the relevant policy or create a rider for the specified event(s).

I’m not going to debate this topic further as it’s distracting from Glenn’s for sale ad and Carl simply does not know what he’s talking about. It’s akin to believing the world is flat because you can’t see the curvature from where you sit. What I will say in closing though is that insurance companies, particularly specialty firms like Lloyds and Chubb, will insure virtually anything you can imagine. All you need to do is contact them, draft and agreement outline, allow them to have an actuary review the outline and assign a risk value, and pay for that policy. There are times this insurance is predicted on net wealth, history as a client/claimant, high rates, etc but the fact is insurance is absolutely available.

iMrMark, WillskiGT, BOKE and 4 others like this.
  25. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I will take this beauty, per our phone call.
    Thank you Glenn!

ScottS and Jdubbya like this.