Take Tesla Plaid or Cancel | FerrariChat

Take Tesla Plaid or Cancel

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jo Sta7, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a Tesla Plaid order that will probably go live in the next couple months.

I’m debating on cancelling. Anyone faced with a similar dilemma? Anyone had a chance to see or drive the car yet?

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wait and see what they announce during the delivery event Thursday night. Nobody has driven one yet and the ones that folks have seen driving around have all been pre-production models. I've had one on order since the fall and am pretty pissed with all the delays and spec changes, so I'm hoping there will be some significant surprises on Thursday.

That being said, if you need a big family sedan, nothing else holds a candle to it.

3. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Have you considered a Lucid?

I know there is no track record and they are behind schedule and that they can’t seem to find enough leather to do the front and rear seats in the same color.

Onthe plus side they do seem to understand that a 6 figure car should have a really nice interior.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I decided to cancel after some thinking and reading.

When I first put down a deposit it was for the plaid plus with 500 mile + range. That is a big deal to me as I can visit my fiance's family in Buffalo NY down and back without worrying about needing a recharge.

Not only was the range promise not met but I don't like the new interior styling at all especially that stupid new steering wheel.

I'll be putting off my adoption of anything electric for likely another 3 years.

Bas and David_S like this.
  5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I need to make a 750 mile trip by car, in 12 hours or less about twice a year. When an EV can do THAT? I'll be in. Until then? No deal.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I bet your bladder has a much shorter range. :rolleyes: :p

ScottS likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    lol um, I’m a bloke I can easily make a 3.5 hour drive without a break.

amenasce likes this.
  8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I think the 'new' S/Plaid needed to be a much bigger change.....I think Elon sort of screwed the pooch here......some strong competition developing, and the S needed to 'look' like a much bigger deal.
    Unless this is just a temporary 'refresh' and something bigger is coming shortly (about which no leaks have shown).....

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed, $150k is way too much considering it looks exactly like every other model S

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    well, they charge you for paint, wheels and $11k for the self driving, and I believe it’s actually $138k (per the website) and $131k is the price factoring in tax incentives.

Go on Teslas website there’s only a few options to select

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    no. $10k price hike prior to launch
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/41035/tesla-model-s-plaid-gets-a-hefty-price-hike-just-before-launch

Plaid + (with it's 500 mile range) cancelled - due to Tesla's new 4680 battery not being production ready.
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132073_tesla-may-be-banking-a-lot-on-its-new-battery-cell-format-semi-cybertruck-model-s-plaid

Musk: The team is “not quite yet to the point where we think the cells are reliable enough to be shipping cars,” he summed.
    “It appears as though we’re about 12, probably not more than 18, months away from volume production of 4680,” said Musk.

9nb, Isobel and energy88 like this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Good article from 2018 about how Elon Musk handles Tesla's 'Production Hell' (mad genius/demanding tyrant :eek: )

Life Inside Tesla's Production Hell

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-tesla-life-inside-gigafactory/

“Did you f***ing do this?” Musk asked him.
    “I’m not sure what you’re referring to?” the engineer replied apologetically.
    “You’re a ****ing idiot!” Musk shouted back. “Get the **** out and don’t come back!”

anunakki and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Was hoping he'd be a real life Hank Scorpio but I guess not. The Model S interior is really bad. Every time I go in my friend's car I can't believe it. One of cheapest interiors I've ever seen and felt.

anunakki likes this.
  16. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Thank you for saying this.

My point has been, Musk is selling luxury but providing sub Corolla level interiors.

For that alone, I feel that lots of high income folks will abandon Tesla to the better appointed choices, which have been growing.

And Lucid is willing to provide irresponsible HP levels with what appears to be a real luxury interior (except for my point that the designer dimwits put one once color seats in front and another color in back).

Bas, anunakki and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like it over audi/porsche competition just for the single pedal driving feature alone. steering is very numb but other than that, its great daily driver. plaid is worth it with a better interior and insane power. tycan drives better and probably fast enough too but not at $50k premium with less range and no supercharger network. tesla is way to go if want ev as only car.

was there any mention of laguna seca lap times for plaid intro? they were looking for overall lap record. plaid might be significant improvement as a driver with torque vectoring, performance tires, etc.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    agree, but no doubt his brain is literally 'wired' differently. genius + aspergers
    and Tesla IS Elon Musk. SpaceX IS Elon Musk. Starlink IS Elon Musk. Boring Co. IS Elon Musk. All private, cutting edge companies pushing boundaries. No pressure. :eek: :D

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Tesla isn’t private, and all those companies are nothing without thousands of brilliant engineers except a mad man shouting about the utopia he wants to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    a mad man with a vision(s) !

Tesla isn’t private >>> of course :oops:

09Scuderia likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    No other manufacturer can become a serious competition for Tesla unless they can provide a similar network of fast charging stations.
    I had one of the earliest orders for the Lucid and was guaranteed one of the first batch of Dream Edition but cancelled it after driving a Taycan for a week (actually returned the car after 4 days), "Electrify America" network is mediocre at best and in my area was completely inadequate both in convenience (locations) and the speed of charging.
    Lucid is a fabulous car but you can only count on yourself to charge it for daily use (I don't have 220v, it's an old house and would require some work to do it).
    I just can't imagine going on any trip longer then 200 miles, all these advertised ranges are academic wet dream, since most car enthusiasts (like almost everyone here) tend to drive with a heavy foot and it drops the actual range dramatically.

09Scuderia likes this.
  24. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Tesla's Supercharger network is a huge benefit for them. If you're not familiar with how prolific they are now, check out the map here. They make road tripping in a Tesla a breeze and really no more difficult than any gas powered car.

The biggest issue with the Electrify America network is not its coverage or speed, but the reliability of the stations. If it takes another 15 minutes to charge, or you have to go a bit out of your way, that can be dealt with and will improve over time. However EA's stations have unacceptably poor reliability. You need to be able to count on a charger working when you get to it. Tesla does an amazing job with this. Their superchargers are extremely reliable and on the very rare occasion that a station is down, the nav system notes it so you can plan accordingly. The Electrify America network was a result of the Dieselgate VW settlement and its not clear how much effort they will put into maintaining it once that money runs out.

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Even though Im a car guy, Ive never cared much about the 0-60 time. I think its a very odd thing for a sedan to hang its hat on.

If im in the market for a sedan i want the most comfortable and luxurious experience I can buy. And that is definitely not a place where the Tesla shines.

NbyNW, technom3, Bas and 2 others like this.