430 Scuderia throwing wheel weights | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia throwing wheel weights

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwe8922, Jun 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    My scud has always thrown it's front outer wheel weights. I've had them come off from the dealer, a good local tire guy, and myself even. I've tried different ways to prep the wheel. I'm wondering if the wheels may have some special coating on them, but I've had the car for 6 years, so the ceramic coatings were new before then. The weights inside of the wheel stay on just fine.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Are you sure the caliper is not ripping them off

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    Not even a Scuderia has a brake caliper on the outside. Probably because of the aerodynamics.

4. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    There is no need for balancing weights on the outside. Modern balancing machines have a program for internal balancing, also hidden behind the spokes. But first check that there is enough space between the brake caliper and the rim bed!

5. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

We use silver furnace tape over the weights for track prep. Some use duct tape too. I like the silver foil tape or gorilla tape.

Works

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I didn't know what you meant .. i thought you meant outer part of inner rim.. there are usually no weights on the rim lip .. factory and most shops do inner and outside of inner wheel.. need very thin weight to not get hit by caliper

7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Correct and the glue that comes with the weights allows them to fly off with speed and temps.

Furnace tape by Nashua company from Home Depot. They won’t come off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The scud is different than the 430 in that the outer weights go on the outside of the rim because the clearance between the caliper is so tight.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That is what people have done after leaving factory ..but having two scud s in the family i can tell you that the weights came from factory on inside of rim. Although factory, it has been known to pick up a pebble and get caught and scratch rim

So if you want to avoid the scratching put on outside ..if you want factory inside

10. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I'll look into the thinner weights. Any suggestion of brand or where to order? My guess is that my rims may have had some type of ceramic coating applied at some point that I haven't been able to remove which is interfering with the bond. I haven't had any trouble with any of the weights mounted on the inside of the spokes.