1/18 news | Page 65 | FerrariChat

1/18 news

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Jan 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  3. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    I don't know why they made the models
    maybe somebody asked for it or they had some standard models they could not sell

this green 275 GTB is the prototype
    I bought the model directly from Nando ( Mr Reali ) at a fiere in Milan / Italy

the roof has a damage, I wanted to fix it a put it in my collection
    neither BBR or RGM model were able to give the color code
    when I saw the 500 Superfast, I sold the 275

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    my interest is only in vintage cars, so I know nothing about the modern ones
    there are
    275 GTB white
    275 GTB nocciola
    275 NART Spyder black
    250 GT Lusso red
    250 GT Lusso green
    250 GTO red
    250 GTO silver
    400 SA red
    400 SA dark blue
    500 SF blue
    375 MM Berlinetta Pininfarina

all models were mounted on a plastic base with white stripes in the front
    the price is the same as the standard version

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  5. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I kind of like the dirty - post race 375MM. And to BBR's credit, and unlike the bigger and much more expensive "weathered" models from Amalgam... at least BBR knows how to fully weather the outside - wheels & tires too. Amalgam could learn something here!

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I agree. I like something a little bit different that makes a model stand out. But also, when you think about it, in period that is what the real car looked like. It probably wasn't as pristine as the non-weathered model even at the start of the event.

Rosey and Lusso123 like this.
  8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very true. And agreed, none of these cars looked as good as they have been restored and modeled today. They were often very rough.

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Here is a sarcastic question.... When is a "Limited Edition" NOT a "Limited Edition"? The answer is unfortunately when it is made by BBR. This company is known for constantly re-releasing models that were marketed and sold by them as "Limited Editions." They have done this for very many years with most of their 1:43 and 1:18 models. The Press Day 250 GTO is the latest example of abusing the words limited edition and taking advantage of collectors. Models are listed as "Limited Edition" on their web site.

I bought two of this exact same 250 GTO model back in 2013 when it was first announced and produced, and falsely represented as a "Limited Edition" of 250 models, which they had shown as sold out. (pics of the two below) BBR kept offering these and others re-released models in later years, and kept selling more, which always annoyed me a lot. And now seeing their recent announcement...well as a collector who bought their so-called limited edition models in good faith, it was infuriating to see that. Part of my decision in buying these was that they were supposed to really be LIMITED as they were and are advertised to be! Talk about blatant misrepresentation, BBR excels with that.

Sold out from BBR only means until until they decide to make more again! This is probably why their archives of past - sold out editions on their site seem to be gone now, probably to hide the facts. They used to just change their archives all the time, which was odd and suspect....

It is a shame to have to write this, especially since their models are actually very nice, even with all the mistakes they often have. I am so disgusted now with their constant fake limited editions, and this is why I and some of my clients do not collect BBR models any more. I have six of their 1:18 models, which might be six too many!

There are previously published articles in Sports Car Market and Prancing Horse with information, photos, and dates proving these facts.

It certainly appears that the only thing that is “limited” about BBR models is how many they can sell.

Buyer beware!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpsf1uk, Rosey, gt4me and 1 other person like this.
  10. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yea they are definitely shifty when it comes to declared numbers etc.

Just last week I had an (unfinished) conversation with Barbara about this topic with regards to a model I bought just in November last year that was stated one of 99 on the base plaque. This month they release what looks like exactly the same as a run of 5! (SF90 Rosso Corsa with Fiorano pack stripe).

I asked Barbara what is the difference (in pictures it’s same base colour and stitching, same wheels/callipers, same interior, same everything) and she replied “I think the limitation and base”.

Well the base isn’t different and just writing another range of numbers isn’t a good answer :D

I got no further reply from her when I said the base is the exact same and sent photo of mine.

It is frustrating and this isn’t my first experience of this kind of situation with them. Probably 4th time I felt I should contact them about their “practice” on a specific purchase of mine - they tend not to really answer any hard questions! But I still buy them hehe.

I remember pre-ordering the Icona Monza SP1. When I paid it was limited to 100. Then some time later I looked at the shop page and it was 150, then 200 > 250 > 300. Ended up as 440 before they sent me it!

On the other hand I don’t really care that much. It’s only a number and even if they make more we are still not talking thousands. They are a business. They need and want to make a profit. I get that. If there is a demand it’s mad to leave money on the table in this business climate. Just wish they would justify it with at least a small change to the presentation to make the next run unique even if only in a tiny way.

I also realise that some repeats of the same Car that come much later can actually be retooled and better versions than they could have produced before (10+ years) so I think that is fair enough. Hope they will do 308/328 again soon.

But I’m not really buying models to sell or as a real “rarity” investment. I love my collection and I love the BBR models on the whole the best. Think they have the best detail and quality to price ratio for me.

Maybe one day I will sell them all in a rage and find something else but for now I don’t let it bother me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jpsf1uk likes this.
  11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I bought the standard red 1/18 GTO from BBR back in around 2013 or so when they first came out.

Got it home, unboxed it and realised they didn't have the cavallino in the front grille... WTF ??!!

It annoyed me every time I looked at it on my shelf.

Thought stuff this, sold it back to the store after a few weeks.

Got back what I payed for then ended up buying the 1/18 red Ferrari GTO from CMC.

Much better model, opening doors and has the horse in the grille and today, is far more collectable then the BBR version.

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Do any of these models have any great value, limited or not? I genuinely don't know. I buy models (and books) purely for my own enjoyment and I don't care how many other people have the exact same one. I guess I prefer not limited anyway because then I can buy the ones I want in my own time but that equally explains, at least in part, why they do say "limited" because it encourages people to buy now in case they miss out. That said, I absolutely do not condone the practice of saying something is limited and then making more (although we all know another Italian company that is a master at that game!).

PAT30 likes this.
  13. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    If you are expecting a value increase on your purchases, then perhaps you should be collecting coins or baseball cards; enjoy the models for what they are. I still buy an occasional BBR because I admire the finish and quality, could care less if they do remakes, the dark blue 4219 chassis 250GTO is much more accurate than the $3,000 Amelia Island CMC version, but I enjoy having them both.

PAT30 likes this.
  14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

David I have to respectfully disagree with everything except the part about enjoying the models for what they are. I do enjoy mine a lot, and am very selective about what I buy. In my business, I have always emphasized 'buy what you like' to all clients, and have always firmly told many who have asked about investment over many years, that there are more solid things to invest in than model cars, and not to look at these from an investment standpoint. Nonetheless where one parks their money is most always important to many, and most of us don't like to see something go down in value, especially if caused by the actual maker who has no familiarity with being honest. If I pulled this BBR type of crap in my business, or did some of what CMC does, well I would devalue my brand, and lose many clients.

I've been in the specialty model car business for almost 40 years as a builder, boutique dealer, broker, manufacturer, consultant, and writer. Most true collector models DO go up in value. Some stay flat, or go down, and some go up & down. But.... there are very many that have gone up, and continue to go up and remain solid. It all depends on many variables. I've written about this for many publications, including my own - AutoMobilia magazine where most of this has been addressed. I have a thing about honesty & integrity, and expect it from any individual or company making, marketing, and selling their products as "collectibles," or "collectors items." What I do not expect, nor accept is blatant misrepresentation and dishonesty. And, there are many people who always have, and always will base a part of their buying decision on information supplied by the maker, especially when it comes to so-called "limited editions."

SmokyDave likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

I've dealt with Barbara, and Alberto(owner). Barbara is always extremely defensive, gives out wrong information which seems to sometimes depend on her mood, does not really know the models, and certainly not the cars, and has no understanding of what good customer service is supposed to be.

gt4me likes this.
  16. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Really... a rain version!!!! IMO BBR is really reaching out on ideas to sale models!!!

17. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a 488 Pista rain version (1/43). Really like it actually. Something a bit different. The base is done like a street parking bay, so like a mini diorama.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SmokyDave and Rosey like this.
  18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yeah I hear what you're saying... my only concern is that if the word "rain version" wasn't spelled out on the display title... people who looks at the model might mistake the rain droplets for dust or a crappy paint job! :O)

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  20. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Modern factory built resin never feels like 'true' limited edition to me. Especially when companies like BBR make 99 pieces, then change the exhausts from silver to titanium and knock out another 99 pieces. I like modern stuff, but it's never going to feel as special as buying a true '1 of 15' from a company that haven't made models in 20 years.

Still, there's room in my cabinets for both. It's not like I can pick up a La Ferrari Aperta by AMR.

Lusso123 likes this.
  21. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    VALUE
    the value for 1/43 was fine until 2008/09 when the crises began
    the 1/18 never had good value except CMC or some models they built to less
    a sample is the Tecnomodel 250 P5 in red. the price is double now
    Looksmart 250 LM Le Mans winner, Looksmart 158 F1 are also well

not bad are also cars like the limited Lusso from RGM, 18 each built
    BBR RGM Modulo, it is getting cheaper because TOP marques made the same car
    the 62 250 GTO´s with small limitation will also keep their value

the Bosses of BBR are both more than 60 years old
    I think it will be less than 5 years that they sell their shop
    maybe the end of vintage Ferrari models

DIRTY 375 MM
    the car was sold only in the BBR shop in 2 or 3 hours
    for me way to expensive
    some days later one of them popped up in the dealer area
    I saw the model, made a call to my dealer and it was mine :)
    I have never seen a second one

there is a dirty 315 Sport winner Mille Miglia
    the model is on eBay for more than one year and does not sell

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and gt4me like this.
  22. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    It seems to me that the appeal of limited editions is fundamentally undermined by the ability for seemingly any model company to cover older Ferrari models, at least up to the 90’s now. For instance what does it mean to buy a limited edition BBR F40 if top marques, gt spirit, KK will all come along with serviceable equivalents at a variety of price points? You have people paying over £1000 for a CMC 312P or a Kyosho 512 TR but this just sends a signal to other producers to cover that model.
    Having said all that I have completely revamped my collection over the past couple of years, selling models I have had for 20 years for the same or more than I paid for them so do agree that they hold their value and there is a demand for vintage models even if there’s a newer version available. I’m just not sure why that is the case.

gt4me likes this.
  23. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
  24. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Not sure if it is a bit narrow compared with the actual car? Don’t have many photos of the original to go on but just love these older cars so happy to add it to the collection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login