New Bern and Hickory NC | FerrariChat

New Bern and Hickory NC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by slm, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Are either of these cities one would consider living. There are some potential issues coming with my practice here in MO so I am starting to look around. There are job opportunities (not sure how good) in these two cities. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I live 20 miles from Hickory. PM me if you need more info on jobs / opportunities.

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hickory is in a better spot long term due to being an hour away from Charlotte. New Bern is very nice, lots of history (was the capital of NC in the 1700s), but basically has to fend for itself being stuck out in the middle of nowhere. It's fairly popular among retirees due to lots of positive recent press, but there is always the threat of hurricanes. Unless your practice deals primarily with retirees, I would lean towards Hickory, as it's bigger than New Bern and isn't too far from a major city, plus less severe weather and the mountains are only an hour away.

slm likes this.
  4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks for the input. I am a cardiovascular surgeon, so I do deal a lot with older population.

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Poor bastard! ;-) Here's to hoping I never have to see you professionally!

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Amen brother!!!

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Not sure about either of those two, but my friend is a private practice dermatologist and loves Wilmington, NC and it's not that far from New Bern.

slm likes this.
  8. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Redneck options in my opinion. Hard to tell from your profile but sounds like you are in Springfield MO. i do not think you would be happy in Hickory nor New Bern.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My 59yr old sister who was born & raised in NY , then lived in LA , has been living in Hickory for 20yrs with her family. She eventually adapted and is very much pleased with the life , community & friends now . I think their home is in a gated enclave.
    Good luck

slm likes this.
  10. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    New Bern is pretty small. I will be there this weekend to drop off a child at camp nearby. Definitely a bit remote for a cardiovascular surgery practice.

slm likes this.
  11. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    My cardio ,Cabg,was done at Fry. And the surgeon rom Hky...five years ago,so far so good..did a half and a 10k or two since but oh gawd the time..but did it,finished it was the big thing..swim still 30 min twice a week just the best."But Doc said he’d get me back on the bike for one more tri..ain’t gonna do it..maybe not his fault.
    Listen to DrStrange for area advice..he’s been around these parts almost as long as I have..and knows the lay of the medica.l lands ..his dad a doc a hundred years..me I’m just a commoner. But I know where Fry is.."
    Do be aware offices being grabbed up by big hospitals all over NC...but you knew that,right? A long time ago,right?
    All in all,this is nice place part of the world..tad Becky..that’s with a N...Mark meadows is from here and he may just barely be conservative enuff..good luck on your search. Cheers,RE

slm likes this.
  12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Wow. Hate to this of your opinion of where I live now. We actually prefer smaller Redneck towns. ‍♀️

tonyswfla, DLCNC and Texas Forever like this.
  13. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We recently moved from Beaufort, NC. Make sure you are willing to possibly loose everything in a hurricane if in New Bern. We built an awesome coastal home we thought we would retire in only to realize the risk is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

slm likes this.
  14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    New Bern's recruitment is on hold so that is off the table.

15. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We moved from FT Lauderdale after 12 years of boats and houses on the water. I was always prepared to have it wiped out. Having a business or practice in a hurricane zone is something I'd think twice about. It's nice to not be watching the weather so closely but I love the water.

Texas Forever and slm like this.
  16. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm new to NC and live in Asheville. I've lived a bunch of places and NC offers more diversity of towns than any place I've been. Two towns five miles apart can have completely different personalities and attributes. Draw a circle around Hickory that represents what you're willing to commute and there are probably more choices than you might think.

17. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Steve is not kidding. I have two friends that built or were half way through building beach houses in SC only to find insurance was so bad they had to abandon the projects. They are not poor and I do not know the details but something about new construction so there was some "grandfather clause" in insurance rates they could not take advantage of.

slm likes this.
  18. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The whole insurance thing in coastal communities is a real issue. I elected not to insure in FT Lauderdale. It was a lot even with lousy deductibles on a home that was current hurricane code. Plus, I don't know what the reinsurance looked like on the primary provider but I doubt if a CAT 5 solidly hit SoFla they could cover the loses. The reserves were lousy IIRC.
    Maybe coastal SC is a different situation but I doubt it.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It’s not that bad. But I wish it was and all of these people moving here would leave.

20. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was a true Boulder native and saw the town change when the Cali internet dick money came in. The locals thought it would somehow return to the way it was. As screwed up as it is one thing Boulder did that worked out was to raid the general fund and buy open space. Boulder doesn't look a lot different that it did when I was growing up there. I'm now hearing the same refrain in Asheville except I'm one of the "problem" people from somewhere else. It's not going back to the way it was. Time rolls on.

rampante550 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Hows it looking? I need some new people to hang out with.

22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    New Bern is not presently looking for whatever reason. Never did hear anything from Hickory.

My current hospital has now said that they will keep us going... at least for a "while". No commitment as to what a "while" means. So I am keeping my eyes open and having a few conversations. Your area of the world is certainly appealing.

23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If she doesn't already eat there? Tell her to try Tony's pizza. My wife is from NY and says it is the closest thing she's had to the real thing since she moved. :)

24. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Have you looked at Asheville? Big cardio wing there & from what I've heard, pretty well respected. My 93 year old FIL got a heart valve there a year or 2 back, and have lots of friends who have been in for stents & whatnot.

25. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    They are not looking, but thanks for the heads up.