FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 23 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barrylindon

Barrylindon Karting

Mar 20, 2021
    I'm a bit disappointed in the Ferraris relation with the tyres. Tyre wear was not great and they weren't great either putting them in the correct temperature window.
    There is big room for improvements on that, the engine compared to last year is big leap forward.

I think Carlos will settle and avoid those silly mistakes, that being said the name Sainz is too big for him, his father is a legend.

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 is now just business and politics, draped in a faint sport veil.

classic308, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  4. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes!!!!

Bas likes this.
  5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

See post #531.

ktu likes this.
  7. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Toto Wolf just went on record to indeed confirm that 25 hours of simulator would have eliminated the brake button mistake. Also, he had to show Hamilton pictures of the W12 to show what it looks like, after Lewis trying to take a seat in the safety car "because it's the Mercedes, right, that's the car I drive?"

:rolleyes:

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Seb should remember how dull Spain and Monaco are. Roots are ok, as long as one can race/pass. Roots to me means racing not history for that sake. Better racing would start with reduced mass of the cars! Better track design and harsh limits

F1 drivers backed decision for two-lap standing restart in Baku
    By: Luke Smith
    Jun 9, 2021, 7:38 AM
    Formula 1 drivers backed the decision to resume Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix for the final two laps with a standing start from the grid.

Fernando Alonso was one of the biggest winners from the standing restart, charging from 10th on the grid to finish sixth and secure his best result since returning to F1.

“We need to think about many two-lap races - 25 two-lap races or something like that in the Sunday!” Alonso joked.

“I think it was fun, people being very aggressive on those two laps knowing that you don't need to take care of the tyres or anything. That was fun.”

But Sebastian Vettel felt that races had become “more and more focused on creating a show”, and warned F1 could not move away from its traditionalist roots.

“I hope that in the future the races are more exciting,” Vettel said.

“I think it was probably an exciting race for various things happening and so on, but we just need to watch out that it doesn’t become too artificial and we don’t lose the roots of the sport.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-drivers-backed-decision-for-two-lap-standing-restart-in-baku/6551003/

9. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yes, it has become a meme.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seb is correct. F1 is too busy entertaining gimmicks in a hope to create drama. They confuse drama with entertainment. Drama isn't entertainment, that's WWE. WWE isn't F1 either.

Next year the new cars are coming which should go a long way in cars able to follow each other closely and make genuine overtakes. A shame they still have DRS but i'll take it, for now.

ingegnere likes this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Speaking of DRS, I never liked the idea and like it less each race. As soon as a driver is within 1 second of the car in front the pass is basically a done deal—no fight, no drama. I know they wanted to increase overtakes—more manipulation of the —but it’s ridiculous.

Also, why is DRS needed during qualifying? It’s meant to help overtake and everybody uses it so no advantage gained. So why is it allowed? They don’t want overly flex wings but an obviously movable aero device is ok?

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. What really annoys me even more that in some races they make the DRS zone way too strong and a pass really is way too easy. And implementing it in junior formulas is beyond me. It teaches lazy overtaking. They really should've done away with it for 2022 and the new rules...

Sharknose and 375+ like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    However unloved DRS is, it's a necessary evil; races would become even more processional without it

The straights are not long enough on most circuits to allow modern cars to pass without some help.

14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    We should implement Bernie's sprinkler system to simulate rain. That'd really spice things up.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The new rules should have made DRS unnecessary. It´s a disgrace. That radical rule change is not radical enough.

fil, LVP488, ingegnere and 1 other person like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    If the FIA were serious about limiting spending and encouraging more passing they would address the aero issue with comprehensive measures. Why they don't is a mystery--stupidity.

fil, ingegnere, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.

The FIA keeps tinkering with the technical rules, and going around in circles.

Probably what is needed is a complete change, but that would mean abandoning a lot of technology.

I find some of their aims quite contradictory.

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, I dislike DRS too.

Anyways, Nico Rosberg brought this up and now Lando as well.

Maybe that part of the straight needs more crash structure barriers whether it's tires or more tech pro given the speeds achieved at the straight along pit entry.

Hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere else but Lando made an interesting point on his stream. Had Verstappen gone the other way during the puncture and gone into this wall The g-forces could have been horrific going from top speed to almost a dead stop.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ypsilon, 635CSI, ingegnere and 3 others like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That needs to be corrected Matter fact all street tracks need to be abolished IMO

Bas likes this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The barrier and the pit entry will get a redo before the next F1 race, the teams and drivers will demand it. The rest of the course is spectacular!

635CSI, Bas, Picchu88 and 2 others like this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

Honda is planning to bring new engines in France. By then, the Honda V6 turbo should have turned the last loop on the test bench.

Honda wanted to further secure the reliability [reason why no new engines in Baku] and thus can release more power.

Red Bull engineers: "With better reliability, we can call up more power."

Sergio Perez, Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly will get new engines. Yuki Tsunoda might have to wait since he is already on his second power unit…

Bas, piolaxo, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I can't wait!

Bas, jgonzalesm6 and jpalmito like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I wouldn't be so categorical about street circuits, they are popular venues, even if a nuisance for the locals.

It looks like Liberty wants more of them on the calendar; Miami may well be their next acquisition.

At least nobody takes liberty with track limits in a street circuit !

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yeah thats because there's a building on the other side of track limits :p