Ferrari ROMA | Page 169 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My thought as well. The disappointment is real when you get a problem car but that’s a far cry from the bad and inconsistent engineering of years gone by that can be pervasive in a model. Feel like I need to mention again because Internet forums tend to highlight the negative, mine has been problem free since December. Hopefully this is a small group and not the norm, if it is the latter, Ferrari is in big trouble.

REALZEUS likes this.
  2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It has gone by several names. First knew it as Alluminio Lucido when I saw it in Geneva on a Portofino. Then later on a 488.

Then I heard it called Bright Aluminum but now on the car here is the tag.

SV

Attached Files:

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Picked up our Roma yesterday, I have never driven one before. Happy to say that its such a fun exciting car! Honestly reminds me of a Pista for the city (very dual personality type vehicle). The tech will take some getting used to but I think its fun to see all the new stuff Ferrari has put into it. My favourite is the summary drive at the end. Posting some pics from my phone (Grigio Ferro on Terra Bruciata with Sabbia inserts). Ferrari definitely on a role right now.. my GTS is also such an amazing machine.

4. ashingo

ashingo Rookie

May 24, 2021
    Hi folks I'm speccing my roma now and one thing I'm on the fence about is the passenger display. Do y'all think it's a worthwhile addition?

My thought process is that it's easier to adjust the music / air conditioning from the passenger display than on the central console.

Also that the interior looks a bit more futuristic with the passenger display? (may make the car a bit more future proof I guess)

Thanks for any input!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Depends on your usage scenario. I'm either driving alone or with my wife. In either case, I wouldn't use it. And, my wife already assumes I'm speeding, so no reason to make it easier to confirm! And, despite my best efforts, she's going to adjust the radio/AC to her desires on the central console. If it were me, I would save my $$ here and option something else like Air Play, for example, if it's going to be a daily driver. Our new truck has Air Play and it's pretty useful.

congrats on the new Roma!

T

randkin, gw32 and glennkreisel like this.
  6. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    What he said! A waste of money, imo.

7. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Exactly! That's why I didn't order it.

8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You will use it for about the first 2-3 times you get in the car and the passengers will try and admire how cool it is... then suddenly everyone forgets about it. Put the money towards HIFI speakjers or Apple Car Play..

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Crom

Crom Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Crom
    I didn't order the passenger display either...
    As others have mentioned, put the money towards the upgraded stereo and CarPlay.

10. colormered

colormered Rookie

Jan 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Weinraub
    I think if you have ANY plans on selling / trading the car, that option is going to be a big deal. I put the carbon wheel in that same vein. Carplay is if you you're drinking the Apple coolaid ... which I don't.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I wonder if our wife's are somehow distantly related in that they have pretty much the same habits while we are riding in a car together? I had though about ordering a car, not a Roma, with passenger display and pretty much decided against it for similar reasons you commented. Also noted we have similar taste in vehicles '11 997.2 TTS and '17 Cayenne GTS but differ in Ferrari taste 08 612 OTO vs. 18 Cali.

I was thinking about ordering a Roma as a DD after I passed on my Taycan TS reservation but instead decided to keep my 15 Pano TTS as my DD and order a 22 992 TTS to replace my 11 997.2 TTS. My decision was largely based on my limited garage capacity and not wanting to stack cars and get into a garage remodeling project to accommodate the stacking concept.

tomc likes this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Adding my 2 cents for a pass. Have on one car and it was neat for a bit. Didn’t order on the next and don’t miss it at all!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it is the opposite of “future proofing”. Yes it looks cool and high tech now, but it will age very poorly. Not just a Ferrari thing ... all this high tech wizardry in modern cars is going to be problematic and very dated in a short period of time. No sense spending a ton of cash on something else that will serve as a reminder of how quickly technology ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dan129007, 008 and tomc like this.
  14. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    So great to see some new Roma’s posted on this thread. Things got pretty quiet for a while. I check this thread daily while I’m waiting for mine. Should have my last photo soon. The dealership tells me my car is done. Why the wait for the final picture?

15. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Sooo amazing, I would love to know confirmed colour name.

16. ashingo

ashingo Rookie

May 24, 2021
    Thanks for all the replies and input guys really appreciate it! Yep the roma is my first ferrari so i'm pretty psyched about it (never ever considered any of the previous ferrari GTs before as their interiors looked a bit dated but the roma was really love at first sight)

Yea i specced out Carplay and JBL Hifi and for me those were the most important tech stuff to get. Totally skipped ADAS, surround view and the associated driving aids: figured that i never had a need for them in my present car so wouldn't need them in the roma.

The car is intended as my daily driver and half the time when my wife is in the car with me she's always fiddling with the music/AC so that's why i thought it would be more convenient for her to adjust through the passenger display.

Was looking through all the romas without the passenger display and the long empty space at the passenger side dash looks a bit unfinished/out of place to me. Do any of yall feel that? If i don't spec a passenger display maybe i'll buy a ferrari emblem and stick it to onto that empty portion LOL

sd dave, Caeruleus11 and Matt L like this.
  17. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Did you get the leather interior or alcantera?

18. glennkreisel

glennkreisel Karting

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Glenn Kreisel
    I got just the alcantara roof lining. Funny everyone like alcantara but I think it looks like shag carpet ! :) I like the smooth leather except for the roof inside

19. Matt L

Matt L Karting

Oct 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I agree. Initially I thought the display was a waste of money, so left it off. Then I saw a car without it, and the piece of plastic they replace it with looks out of place in the cabin. Also, it’s obvious that the space is for a display, so if you don’t order it, it does look a bit strange with nothing there, a space between the leather. Really they should have used a different material to fill it, maybe even offer leather as an option. So I changed my spec and included it. I doubt I’ll ever use it, but without it the cabin doesn’t look right, it looks unfinished as you say.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Passenger display- I ordered it on my GTC4 and I thought, maybe its a bad idea, my wife will see the speed... well, I did it anyway. And as it turns out, she loves the display, as do my children. They all think its sooo cool and unique to the Ferrari. So, yes, the criticism is valid, but it could go the other way. If the cost isn't a huge concern, I say do it, its something more unique to the car. Just giving you the other side of the argument. We still use it and the Lusso is almost 3 years old with 10k miles.

of2worlds and Senad like this.
  21. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    My wife is the same, loves the passenger display in the Lusso and has insisted on having one in the Roma.....and BTW she is the last person you would call a petrol head, but she insists we will NEVER sell the Lusso and LOVED the Roma when she drove it. At this late stage in life.....I think she has seen the light!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  22. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I think it looks cheap. Hideous. Never will understand why guys like that stuff. Cheaper maybe? With the leather dash it looks great without the passenger display!