FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 21 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX...2021...RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He forgot to turn it off...not hit it "accidentally";)

Picchu88, Isobel, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Isobel and william like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis, "You can do magic"

America - You Can Do Magic

ingegnere likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    too harsh IMO........million dollar USD fine or pay in Bitcoin.:D

Isobel and DF1 like this.
  5. DF1

Ka-Ching! :)

6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Exactly, he can’t even own up to the mistake when there isnt anyone else to blame. I bet MB feel like they’re walking on egg shells

Nortonious, Bas, JJ and 2 others like this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    but, but .... he screwed up Q3 and denied the fans (and William) the climax that they deserved. His time should have been deleted and thus he would have started P10 and likely finished there.;)

furoni, Picchu88 and Bas like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

YEsyesyeysyeysyes !!!

Isobel and jcurry like this.
  9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not going get into all the Merc/FIA conspiracy talk of whether or not the standing start was an effort to give Lewis a better chance at the win. What I am interested in is the decisions going forward. If at other times, it's a running start... then that'll put my radar up even more. I don't care what decisions are made, but what I demand as a fan is that they're consistent from race to race. The BS about track limits is just another example of the Massi not really being in control or in some cases, exerting influence where perhaps he shouldn't be able to.

This season for me is about two things really and it's been the way since before the season even started. I just wanted to see Sebastian do well and silence the relentless critics that he's lost his edge or what most haters say is that he was never any good to begin with. I'm glad to see him enjoy racing again with a team that's really a team and not beholden to the mythology of a brand. Second... and almost what's most important for me is to continue to see Lando mop the track with Ric. Lando is a strong driver and I'm always thrilled to hear the pre-game blather from Ric get silenced by the results on the track.

Bas likes this.
  10. DF1

There can be alot of racing talk and fun here. This is a pub of F1. Sling your liquor and your opinion. What comes back might surprise you lol!

Picchu88, Bas, JJ and 2 others like this.
  11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The standing start was the only way to finish the race under green flag, and as a racing fan I don't really care what rule they had to use to do it, I'm glad they did. That also gave anyone that was worried about tires the ability to change them.

Isobel, DF1, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good one. That’s on my playlist, LOL. :)

Merc will piping “You Can Un-Do Magic” to the drivers’ radio next race.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    They could have changed tires and done a rolling restart, I suppose, but this was more fun. Having said that, with that long straight that could have been even more interesting.

Maybe the standing start was considered safer.

But for sure they need to be consistent going forward.

Bas and Isobel like this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

And even though no other team was falling over themselves to sign him, Seb for sure has some life left though I expect he’s realized that he won’t be going for regular wins this year driving a green Merc, as he probably thought. So maybe he’s not beholden to the fabricated myth of Aston Martin.

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think the red flag was called because of the risk of more tyre failures.

So allowing to check/change tyres was primordial.

It's debatable if they had to restart the race, IMO.

16. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    Wheatley (RBR) was on the radio to Masi fairly quickly after Max's crash suggesting to red flag the race due to more possible tire failures. My guess is Red Bull didn't want to risk to continue running any car (including theirs) and having another incident.

I don't believe they needed to restart the race though, I figured they'd call it after the red flag and was surprised they didn't.

To go all conspiracy, one could say RBR asked for the red flag for Perez's benefit in regards to tires and his hydraulic issue that almost prevented him from finishing. I'm not big on conspiracy theories though, so I'll say I think RBR made the appropriate call to ask for the red flag just in case more tires were on the edge of going.

Bas, Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  17. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I enjoyed the race. Was a rollercoaster of emotions for me...from Leclerc leading the charge to Hamilton overcooking it at the restart. Great entertainment and I was awake the whole race.

Super happy for Checo, hopefully, this gives him the boost he's been looking for to be more competitive at the front...w wingman Bottas continuing to fade in fabulous fashion, I need some spice at the front. Checo vs Max vs Lewis will be really good fun.

Picchu88, Bas, Isobel and 3 others like this.
  19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Seriously, what are you on about? He apologised immediately to the team on the radio!

Schultz, ktu, william and 1 other person like this.
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #520 ingegnere, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    We should have expected the race was going to be eventful when the leaders came upon a fallen branch on the track on only the second lap.

Isobel likes this.
  21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    A question - I can't find the brake magic discussed in the rules, if other teams have something similar, or if this is a Mercedes advantage like DAS they thought of and are running until the rules catch up with them? Similar to DAS, is it something they'll have in all the cars next year, or be outlawed as an unfair advantage and one more miniscule thing F1 would be more fair without?

BTW, Hamilton forgot to turn it off, I believe. His brakes were smoking up a storm in the queue, which means he may have overcooked the brakes using their magic (God, I hate stupid names), and with that smoke billowing up around him, he got distracted & failed to change the setting. Good for him to admit to it, not sure why the Team said it wasn't his fault? Who else was in the car with their hands on the wheel? Maybe because Verstappen kicked his tires, as we see in the photographic evidence?

Picchu88, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Yep

23. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Exactly, so as the narrative that from Checo's point of view HAM "went for it" and locked the front tires is incorrect,
    the same can be said from HAM having accidentally pressed the magic button because of Checo's move.

I also agree, it was great deal of concentration for Checo to turn in and let HAM go. Brilliant victory.
    Next time he does another of his runs to overcut the rest may have more impact and then team orders may be imposed.

Bas likes this.
  24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Radio messages between Hamilton and the pit wall, indicate that he did turn it off, but it re-engaged on its own during an upshift enroute to the grid.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Looking at the steering wheel, it's an easy mistake to make in the heat (no pun intended) of the moment.

Hamilton acknowledged it immediatly over the radio. A costly error.