Car Transporter Recommendation | FerrariChat

Car Transporter Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HWJunkie, Jun 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    I am looking for an car transporter (enclosed) to take a car from Washington State to Southern California.
    If anyone has any recommendations, please message me.

Thank you!

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Reliable, interstate, or horseless carriage....everybody else is a crapshoot and you normally lose.

rob lay and gt1995 like this.
  3. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA

I highly recommend "Intercity". I have used them twice and was very happy with them.

4. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Also have used Intercity twice, the last in 2011, and have been totally satisfied. Take their ETA for your car at destination with a grain of salt however, though I suppose that holds true for any carrier, especially now with apparent turmoil and driver shortage in the trucking industry.

gt1995 likes this.
  5. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    Intercity doesn't do the route I need.

6. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Plycar almost certainly services your route, and they were great the two times I dealt with them.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  7. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    They have a 3 week wait for pickup, I can't leave the car there that long...

8. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Passport is also good. I used them twice this year to ship my cars from New York to Kansas and I was overall happy with the service provided. They were $500 cheaper than Intercity who I have also used in the past. The only issue was that it took them 2.5 weeks to drop off the first car, although they picked it up within a week of booking it. The second car only took five days to arrive, but wasn't picked up until three weeks after I booked it. Neither bothered me that much since they weren't daily drivers. They did give me an accurate timeline for when the cars would be picked up/dropped off.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I’m a passport man myself. Less expensive than the others but reliable and had no issues.

10. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Rookie

May 13, 2021
    I've used Horseless Carriage once and they were great.

11. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Rookie

May 13, 2021
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
  13. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Thanks!

14. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    Horseless Carriage doesn't do that route either.
    Passport quoted a pretty high price and has a 3-5 week window, which is just too long in this situation

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Cats is up in that area. I think he uses PLycar exlusively.

16. PhilMc19

PhilMc19 Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I highly recommend Intercity Lines. Had a car delivered by them yesterday. Great service

17. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Why not drive it?
    Should be a beautiful ride down the PCH.

Bob Z.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Intercity ****ed us over for our 2018 Miami trip. We had everything planed ahead, an entire truck rented to take 7 cars to Miami from one pickup location in Dallas. Dave was good and always easy to work with long FerrariChat sponsorship, I told him we could go ahead pay up 6 months out. He said no worries, everything good. A month before the event he turned it over to his son and then his son got hard to get ahold of. The couple times he did he said I'll get with you next week. So after a 10+ year great relationship with Intercity and his dad, it only took 2 weeks to get screwed by the son as he took over. They left us high and dry and not even much of an apology. We had to scramble to find a truck with only 2 week notice.

They probably were good and I'm sure they still have a few hauls that work out, but the above is evidence how the company went to crap.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    10 years ago but not now, with the son in charge it has gone to hell. That was our experience and it was an easy full truck 7 cars, not like just 1 car that didn't work out.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Plycar was good getting my Boss from Cats.

21. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    I have used Passport and was very pleased with their service. The driver was knowledgeable about the cars he was hauling and obviously cared about treating them right.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. defiant

defiant Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    S
    Reliable. Used coast-to-coast on several different vehicles. Always "reliable!"

23. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    When I purchased my car 2 years ago I used a broker to set up my shipping.
    I wouldn't ever do that again. We had the worst experience with a late drop off at my house and bad communications. There was also damage to my car that the dealer and I had to split the cost of and left a bad experience for me. The broker told me that the owner/operator that he would use would have "skin in the game" and take even better care of my car than the large companies. This couldn't have been a bigger lie. Broker was more interested in getting the lowest cost and best profit on his end. The damage wasn't noted until it was loaded into the trailer and then the driver said it was done by the dealer.
    Bottom line is to go with an established and known company that you know and have done the research on.
    Sounds like you are on the right path......

Good luck,
    GG

24. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    Thank you to everyone who posted recommendations! The car was in a small town in Washington state, quite a distance from a major city or highway, so it wasn't a route that most drivers do normally.... So, most of the places that were recommended didn't run the route I needed. But I appreciate the multiple recommendations!!!
    Jonathan Schwartz gave me a very helpful recommendation, Cyndy at Sweet Logistics, who didn't end up transporting the car, but gave me some good advice and helped me get the broker I was working with get a truck. So thank you to Jonathan and Cyndy!

The car is now in my garage and safe and sound.

Cheers!
    View attachment 3156883

defiant, Summerlin2020 and rob lay like this.
  25. Summerlin2020

Summerlin2020 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jon Ira
    Great to hear that! Glad it worked out!
    Jonathan