Maserati Khamsin | Page 390 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I am 6 ft 1.
    And you are?

2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Sorry, I shouldn't have conveyed humor at your situation. "Impossible" is such an absolute, I find myself automatically skeptical of the term.

I am 5'-6" with the seat lowered and the steering tilt adjusted for best view. Experimenting, I notice the center pad *will* obstruct the 3 warning lights if I slide the seat all the way back and lift my head to the ceiling. But, even in that position, I can readjust the tilt down to restore my view of the warning lights, et al.
    - Art

3. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    No problem. Padded wheel already in trash can!

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    1. I doubt very much you actually threw it away
    2. If you did, that was not very smart as I am sure there are plenty of people that would have taken it.

I have cars with the Euro steering wheel and others with the padded wheel. I do not find the padded wheel objectionable. The first version in late 1969 and early 1970, without the center logo, was ugly. Once the logo was added the wheel looked fine.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

staatsof and 71Satisfaction like this.
  5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    When I first purchased Ghibli SS #2110 (French Delivery) it too had the US collapsible steering column with a wood rimmed wheel and padded horn button without the center logo. Simply purchased a padded horn button with logo.

6. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Thank you for your candid thoughts.
    I shall refrain from sharing any other choice words regarding the padded wheels for fear of inciting a riot!
    Re my padded SW ---you are right---I did not actually throw it away, but gave it to my gardener who is building some kind of an off-road buggy!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    You did a good thing by giving it to your gardener as he will have something to talk about when he shows his buggy to his friends. Plus, his head will be better protected if he hits the steering wheel :)

Ivan

AMLC likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    018 below and 082 above say Guten Tag from Berlin:)

Both these rare smooth noses have already been driven quite a lot this spring and are headed to other adventures!

Thanks to D.R. for the photo.

rga and red27 like this.
  9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Answer: 45 years.
    Question: How long does it take a Khamsin's original fuel vent and tank transfer hoses to disintegrate?
    (Table 27, Parts 45 and 48)

Part 45 - 12mm ID Main tank vent hose. Replaced with 12mm ID braided fuel injection hose:

Part 48 - 30mmID transfer hose from saddle tank to main tank: Replaced with 1-1/4"(32mm) ID fuel filler neck hose

Original Part 48 hose with integral 90degree elbow.
    Use a 1-1/4" chrome-plated brass elbow at the 90 bend and cut the straight hose ends to correct length:

New hoses in place:

Froggie and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    71Satisfaction and Froggie like this.
  11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Gosh Joe
    :eek:

Those make the ones from my Espada look like a walk in the park. I had no holes just a bit of interior rust at the very bottom but enough to take out the fuel pump and clog up all 6 DCOEs. Some superficial exterior rust.

12. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The photo below is from an article in Motorsport Magazine, January 1977. It´s on the old Modena racing circuit, where it was one of (apparently) two Khamsins used in a test session for guests from the UK.
    This Khamsin has crossed wipers and appears to have no bonnet badge. Because it appears to have nose vents in a darker colour and turn signal pods on the front it could be a car for the Japanese market?

The article can be found here: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-1977/28/saving-the-supercars

It’s by Clive Richardson and I think very interesting because it’s the time where De Tomaso has just taken over control at Maserati.
    It contains some critical remarks by Richardson and De Tomaso about Citroen, apparently De Tomaso wanted “to get rid of the Citroen mechanical influence, particularly the complicated hydraulics, which he sees as unnecessary and a great nuisance for servicing”.
    Interesting because some years later he introduced the “very easy to service” Biturbo :)

Richardson is positive about the Khamsin though, he writes: “With self-centring power steering to contend with and power brakes, the Khamsin was at a disadvantage in a situation where people had only two or three laps of familiarisation. A very comfortable and quick car of character, however.”

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I took your advice, and that of Mike D, and pulled my tanks when doing the bumper conversion. Glad I did as the hoses needed to be replaced. The tanks were not too bad and I could tell that someone had worked on them in the past. Here is a photo once they were painted and ready to be installed.

Ivan

71Satisfaction and Mexico074 like this.
  14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #9739 italiancars, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Ivan,
    The fun part is the small hose on the lower right side at the back of the upper tank. The one that threads over the muffler with a thermal sleeve through different diameter holes into the body.

15. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  17. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #9744 AMLC, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  20. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes, a lot of work, sad actually.

I’m surprised that they say that nothing is known of the history before 2008 ("......... purchased by the current owner from the Swiss company 'c.a.r. logistics' on 13th May 2008. Unfortunately, nothing is known of its prior history. ")

Because it was auctioned by Bonhams&Brooks in 2001: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/maser14.htm:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I found my tanks in good shape
    Internally as well..but..I did replace my main fuel transfer line from upper to lower with a New Old Stock from MEI. It lasted about 150kms (yes. One hundred and fifty). Before the 90 degree bend (the whole reason I purchased it) started leaking fuel.. Disappointed to say the least for that much money. I ended up sourcing a fuel rated transfer hose with major internal reinforcement wire and nylon.. that has a surprisingly small bend radius. It only took about 10 min to install.. and I feel much more comfortable.. it was much less money as well.. and current rubber.. one learns..

23. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Richard (010)...

Is it possible for you to provide some details on your replacement fuel transfer hose?
    Could be of great help for future owners! Manufacturer/part number/vendor, and a picture or two would be great!!

Thanks...

Mike

24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    That hose is not under pressure, so it can be replaced with off the shelf hoses. Here’s what I used,
    • 1-1/8" Inch 90° Degree Diesel / Gas Fuel Filler Hose Elbow 28" Long - Review this product
    • 1-1/8" Inch Fuel Filler Hose Joiner Coupling - Butt Connector 29mm (STEEL) - Review this product
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to review the products you purchased!

Filler Neck Supply Co
    https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

again also replaced the smaller hose that runs over the muffler.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and 010 like this.
  25. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Certainly... The one I used is made by Green Line Hose and Fitting

G681A Series 350 Hardwall SAE J1527:93 USGG ISO 7840:94 - A2 Fuel Fill IVG ...

and note the last picture it's related

You will also see I purchased a wrap to give it extra rub protection but I do not this it is necessary...

Lastly.. I had to use a manual hacksaw to cut it which took a few easy minutes

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login