First Post - F430 Manual as first Ferrari? | FerrariChat

First Post - F430 Manual as first Ferrari?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by TimBowe, May 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimBowe

TimBowe Rookie

May 28, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tim Bowe
    Hey Everyone,
    Name is Tim Bowe in Atlanta. First post on FerrariChat and I have just started looking at used Ferraris. 2 sources have shared with me that Ferrari of Atlanta has an F430 with a Gated Manual. I have not seen the car, and it's not on their website, but apparently it is Red/Tan, Luggage, Spare Tire Kit, and 9K miles. Sounds perfect - but not sure if I can get the money together in time. Apparently word of mouth is spreading and I may miss the car, sounds like a few people are interested.

Sorry if these are nuisance questions, but I would appreciate any input that I can get. Would the F430 be a good first Ferrari? Would a Manual F430 be a good choice, as well? Does anybody know anything about this car?

Apologize for the new-guy questions, I'm just beginning my journey to get my first Ferrari. I plan on joining the Ferrari Club of America and participating in local Chapter events, as well.

Thanks for your patience with these questions,
    Tim

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Welcome Tim. The manual to me would be interesting just because of the F1 is expensive to fix. Most people did not know how to drive them and burned out the clutch in the F1. It is last of the old school feeling. Because the 458 took off to another planet technology wise.

3. TimBowe

TimBowe Rookie

May 28, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tim Bowe
    Thanks for the feedback. Missed the car. Sold in 1 day without even being advertised. I’ll keep looking.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For Ferrari in Atlanta there are only two real sources... Ferrari of Atlanta - Excellent all round, and Merlin also very good. Merlin is used only, while FOA is the dealer... no idea of inventory but seems like used cars are trading FAST....

love to have you participate in the Club activities. Best of luck

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    TimBowe,
    The 430 is an excellent choice for a first Ferrari. Stick vs F1 is a long and continued debate. My personal feeling? It is purely a personal choice. I like both, I find the F1 for me is more comfortable to drive. I find the stick to be a bit more awkward because of the electronic throttle pedal. It never seems to be totally in sync with what my foot. To be fair, if I owned one and drove it all the time, I am sure it would become seamless and I would have no issue. As for clutch life, when taught to drive an F1 properly, it should last a very long time. There are failures not related to driving but that happens in stick cars too.
    Drive both if you get a chance and decide what you like. I think you could love either one.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    From my experience, issues with throttle lag are due to mismatched and/or failing throttle bodies. They only have so much to give and after 15-20 years, get tired. The car will compensate for the deficiency for a while, then start throwing codes and finally, go into throttle limp mode.

I did an extensive study on the throttle body system in the 360. It's the same exact mechanism and electronics in the 430 and numerous other Bosch powered cars.

Here's an article I wrote on my experience: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/07/bosch-throttle-body-replacement.html

7. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My first Ferrari was a F430 spider gated manual, though I bought mine before the manual demand started escalating.

It’s an incredible machine and I highly recommend it. So much fun to drive, rather easy to work on, and a pure delight to sit and stare at.

The issues it does have are easily remedied, and if you enjoy working on cars I found it’s quite fun to remedy things like manifolds, exhaust brackets, sticky bits, speakers, etc.

Annual fluid changes are a breeze as well.

Best of luck, hope you pick one up. Any questions feel free to reach out.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Lanikai likes this.
  8. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    F430 would be a great first Ferrari. We started with a 360 and still have good experience. I would love to have a manual but can’t justify the price difference.
    Best of luck finding your first Fcar.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Manual F430 would be a great Ferrari to own. Use searchtempest.com and send out feelers to the specialty brokers (curated in Miami, Merlin, Calder, etc...), so they might connect you to an unadvertised car.