Ignition Harness Restoration | FerrariChat

Ignition Harness Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by Vinsanity, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    I am in the process of rebuilding my ignition wire harness, but running into difficulty sourcing replacement material to get even close to matching the OEM rubber (silicone?) sleeves covering the wire. Mine are hopelessly stained, and burned through in more than one place due to contact with the exhaust (Broken wire retainers, as usual).

The closest thing I've been able to find is some fiberglass-insulated sleeving I ordered on-line from Summit Racing. Real world, the stuff is too thick, not a tight fit around the 8mm wires, and is a deep cherry red, vice orange-red as desired.

Any suggestions? 95% of what my on-line searches have turned up is braided sleeving. I'm not a absolute stickler for OEM appearance, but that is just too far from period to look good to me.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  3. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
  4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Thanks. I'd looked at that item, but was a little disappointed that it only came in black. Given that my cam covers are powdercoated red, I have no lack of color in the engine bay, so I should probably just get over that. Most of other products are too thick and won't sit in the stock cable holders. That being said, my wire holders are 3-D carbon fiber printings--not the orginals. We could certainly scale them up a few tenths if needed...

Oh, and BTW, how are the water pumps going? Last I heard, the pullies were getting anodized and you'd be shipping back-orders soon.

-Vin

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    That reminds me of the stuff I bought. Red like a Twizzlers candy, and wrinkles like one too when you make it bend. Where you able to use that with the stock wire holders, or did it end up to large in diameter?

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Just dawned on me, you're taking about the ignition wires, yeah that's silicon. I thought you meant the actual wiring harness. My bad.

Thin wall silicon tubing.... You could try hose techniques... Let's see..

https://www.hosetechniques.com/

Mmmm, looks like they are in the midst of moving out of CA.

8. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    So word of advice, if anybody is taking this on themselves . . . I went with the tube sleeving from McMaster as SMG suggested. Bought a roll of the.29" size, which in theory should have been able to swallow my 8mm wires. In reality, I could only get get the shortest two lengths through, and those took massive effort. I gave up after an hour (and half a can of silicone lube) and ordered the next size up, .31". Works great.

9. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #9 BLACK HORSE, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    I had a difficult time trying to find a new engine harness for my 85 QV 308 or asking a shop to make one up for me... but when I asked a shop to make one, I either got a response of... "sure but its going to cost $1200 or we can't do it"... So I found all the original connectors and bought all the correct wiring and made my own engine harness.. It came out great and of course I tested it before it was installed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn, Du_Man and Brian Harper like this.