458 - Would you buy a 2013 or hold out for a 2015? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Would you buy a 2013 or hold out for a 2015?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chase Butler, Jun 1, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    "you could say that after 5 years of manufacturing they got better at making them" this was kinda my rational with it as well and I also heard there was some unofficial improvements as well but not sure what they were.

After all of these replies I think I'm gonna just got for anything 13-15 with the right specs!

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You get all (7) years but must get the car in before the end of its last year based on the manufacture date. Same as the extended warranties. If you pay for the Power warranty that includes the annual (Main Power) and don't get your annual done in the year you will lose it.

3. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You mean carbon race seats!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You mean carbon race seats!

5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    From everything I've read, the earlier years had a lot of sensor faillures in the DCT. At the time the entire transmission would be replaced (usually under warranty) so there was a reputation of transmission failure. Now, the local dealers can diagnose and fix problems with sensors in the DCT so you are looking at a few thousand $$ instead of $40k.

Likewise, the better exhaust note of the 2010/2011 cars was hard on the exhaust valves so it was programmed out of the ECUs. Any car that has seen normal maintenance will no longer have this programming. There are third party solutions to bring it back.

I had two years with the power warranty, but have had no problems with my 2014. This year's annual service will be the first time I will pay anything since I bought it in 2017.

Rob

Pransingh Horse likes this.
  6. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The lifter is good for resale as it is a popular option of the spec and will help it sell faster. I have a 15 Italia without the lifter and I built ramps for my driveway with 2 x 10 planks just in case. It really depends on the areas you plan to take it. My neighborhood has very few steep entrances around town and I have scraped nothing after 7 mos ownership.

Chase Butler likes this.
  7. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Yeah my driveway is just fine, it's mainly for ones when I'm out and about haha

Stams likes this.
  8. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Of course. But Ferrari refers often to these as "Sports seats." We owners know and love them as the racing seats.

9. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ah…. I thought the sport seats were the non-carbon non-Daytona seats.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the reply. All my services 1-6 were done OCt -Nov. of ea year, then suddenly both the Dealership & an E-mail from Ferrari said that # 6 was the last paid for by Ferrari????

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This is just a side point regarding what year to pick. If your leaning toward escalating value-eg collecting- 1st and last yrs may have a bit of reason to buy. We may be seeing such with the 458 as it is the last of the normally aspirated cars, beautiful sounds -last produced by Pininfarina,interior designed by Schummacker, functional. This is the only 1 of my six Ferrari cars that I elected to stay with the stock exhaust with the addition of the remote carbino valve opener. This 15 car for whatever has all the gurgles & pops you would want. I bought this car 4 yrs ago with 3000 miles on it. I was not aware of any ECU alterations done prior that would affect sound.​

Chase Butler likes this.
  12. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I've not scraped the front, but I have scraped/cracked my rear diffuser. The front lift that I have actually makes it *worse* if you have the front end lifted. It also doesn't help that I have Novitec springs that put me 20mm lower than (USA) stock.

13. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I recently purchased a 2015, but had this car in this spec been a 2013 I would have still jumped on it. Finding the combo and condition you want is hard...it’s not like we can order them anymore. However, my thought is they make iterative improvements each model year as they discover issues from previous years. Most of these will be minor bug fixes or quality improvements not new features (yes, I’m a software guy). But I would think any major issues would have been ironed out by 2013.

Rexcat458 and Chase Butler like this.
  14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good points! There are differences however, albeit small ones…

For example, the temperature gauge on the left side TFT screen on a 2010 458 starts at 140 degrees F, IIRC - on my 2015 it starts at 120 degrees F. Trivial, but a difference nonetheless.

We should start a separate thread on the differences in model years, but you would need six volunteers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015) to compare notes unless a F-tech could just list them out.

Cheers!

15. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    I just bought a 2012. I am doomed! Lol

430jm and Depreciating Asset like this.
  16. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    More like you hit the jackpot! I have a 2015 Italia, but I was originally looking at a 2011. It sold before I got everything sorted… Any model year of 458 is an epic ride, we are truly blessed to own such awesome examples of the Prancing Horse!

Cheers!

17. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A 2012?!! Oh no! That’s before the blue screen of death fix! ;)

Lance F likes this.
  18. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.

19. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I unfortunately bought a 2010. I guess my transmission should fall out of my car at any moment.
    I’m screwed.

rob5819, Lance F and Ash Patel like this.
  20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    haha, no worries, just drive the damn thing, owned two early models never had any DCT issues (tracked a lot as well) and they sound a lot better!

21. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    I’m in the UK and it took me 18 months to find the car I wanted re spec and colour. So if you’ve found it, jump in there with both feet and don’t worry about the year. Lifter wise it’s useful over here as our local Councils hate cars with a passion so we have 20 mph speed limits everywhere combined with speed bumps every 100 feet that you scrape the front on. Just what the 458 was designed for……..

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

430jm likes this.
  22. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I am fortunate enough to 2010 Italia 24,000 miles, 2012 Spider 18,000 miles . No problems at all.

please drive your new car, I still smile every time a get out of mine. Such wonderful cars.

recently had both tuned , now it’s like I own two new cars. Outstanding performance

Lance F likes this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I owned 4 of them ranging in years.
    Would not hesitate to get 2013 at all.
    In fact, my 2013 was better than my 2015, so it depends on the car, condition, ownership etc more than anything else.
    They are brilliant cars, and mostly trouble free. I would get the added warranty though for the first year.

Chase Butler, Rexcat458 and italiafan like this.
  24. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    getting into this thread late - but the 2013+ thing is mainly around the maintenance plan and the ability to extend the warranty further vs. the earlier models. Now that it's 2021 much of that is expiring. I own a 2010 and haven't had any issues with it at 38K miles at this point.

Much of the updates are software to the e-diff, traction control, suspension dampers, and the shift and engine parameters. I wonder if anyone out there has been able to hack into so you can update what you wish too.

On the BMW forums i know you can interchange coding between the regular M4, CS, GTS for all those attributes.

Chase Butler and rob5819 like this.