Best Ferrari Coffee Table Book? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Ferrari Coffee Table Book?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Neonzapper, Mar 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Not a whole lot of "general" Ferrari books have been released over the last few years of any note.

I think the trend these days is to publish books on more specific topics to fill a gap in the marketplace relating to a specific model, era or activity.

I look back over the last 10 or so Ferrari books released in 2019/20 and all fall under one of those specific categories.

I did however buy this one released recently which might fit the bill, but it's not that great.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wouldn’t recommend it strictly for reasons of personal taste: I just don’t care for Raupp’s style. Many people do, and I respect that, but it just isn’t to my taste.

But then, I don’t really subscribe to the premise of the thread. Why try to impress people with a book sitting on a table?

Lusso123 likes this.
  3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    To be fair, there is no mention of impressing people in the original post. My own definition of a coffee table book would be one that is a large and sumptuously produced and generally too big to hold up and read in a normal way (price is not relevant). So, therefore, I have many such books and none of my books are to impress anyone else. They are all purely for my own pleasure.

Marcel Massini, doyler and SmokyDave like this.
  4. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Your last sentence sort of encapsulates why I chose the Raupp book. I'm not a huge fan of the harsh, brittle style of photography either, but it's certainly eye-catching.

I know 'coffee table book' isn't a derogatory term, but at the same time I'm not leaving the books I cherish lying around on a coffee table!

Zeltweg and Rosey like this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    As doyler mentioned earlier, The Red Dream is a great coffee table book but I would just add to go for the metal cover edition to really have a book that stands out from the rest.

6. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Taschen photo art book is the ultimate collectors book… USD$6k without stand. It is about an inch thick, beautiful leather bound cover, all the page edging is silver.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/66921/facts.ferrari.htm

Here’s mine…

The stand can be bought separately (if you can find one) for about the same price as the book. I don’t own one, but here is an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm2 likes this.
  7. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Agreed, this could very well be the ultimate coffee table book. With the stand included it is a coffee table in itself. Taschen never offered the stand as a separate item, and the version with stand was 5 times the price of a regular copy.

Lusso123 and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  8. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Hoo boy, I was going to add another suggestion of 'Ferrari Legends' by Michel Zumbrunn, published by Merrell. I am dumbfounded at the idea of leaving a £5000 book lying around on a table for people to idly thumb through. I'd have it locked in a vault, accessible only by myself and only upon proof of white gloves and no UV light.

Rosey likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I agree, while I'm sure it's an impressive book, Taschen being a "coffee table" book might be a bit of a stretch.
    It's massive, uber expensive and weighs a ton.

10. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The Taschen book, with or without stand isn't worth more than 500 bucks.
    The print quality is low. You can see shadows of the printing of the next page.
    The silver on the page edging looks nice but is not solid.
    Most of the pictures are nice content, although at least 60 percent of them are seen in cheaper books. The paper is nothing special.
    Very expensive for a rather poor product.

LVP488 and bloomberg like this.
  11. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I agree with you. But Taschen, being a solid marketing machine, is able to sell a mediocre product at a premium price. So ultimately it maybe the ultimate coffee table. Its there to impress.

Dino2010 likes this.
  12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If anybody’s interested, I have many of these books for sale, just message me.

Greg
    Austin TX

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for your valuable contribution, especially since its one of only 5 posts you’ve made here. You couldn’t even fabricate the case for $500. What nonsense

14. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    The value of one's contributions does not depend on their quantity.

Lusso123, Dino2010 and ChoroQ like this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have this book and engine cover … I really wanted the stand. But as mentioned, it was ridiculously expensive.
    I was even goi g to commission an auto body fabricator to make me a stand but he didn’t have time.
    Can anyone else fabricate the stand?

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Just like with books, quality over quantity.

Dino2400, 375+, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  17. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Where do you think the stand is made, wiseguy? It's probably cost them around 50 bucks to make the stand. Maximum.

18. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is not my kind of book, but Taschen will eventually sell each and every copy. I'm sure the marketing budget was higher than the production cost, let alone the fee for designer Marc Newson. Who cares, if you like it and can afford it, you buy it. End of story.

Lusso123 likes this.
  19. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    What must a book have to be eligible as a perfect Coffee Table Book? It has to be big and you don’t have to fear for damage when it is displayed?
    The first to mention an already damaged ultimate GTO book quits the room...
    Just a bad joke...

Rosey and Dino2010 like this.
  20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hahahaha.

Plus the GTO book is too specific.

I think one of the criteria of a "coffee table book" is that it needs to be quite general on the topic for it to appeal to all your lounge room guests.

21. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I also investigated having a stand made. The quote came in at over AUD$10k so I parked the idea