458 - Would you buy a 2013 or hold out for a 2015? | FerrariChat

458 Would you buy a 2013 or hold out for a 2015?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chase Butler, Jun 1, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    I'm currently in the market for a 458 Spider and I think I pretty much know what options I'm looking for and there happened to be a 2013 that just came up for sale that has pretty much all of them. Ideally, I've been trying to find a 2015 since it should still have about a year or so left on the 7 year service plan, plus it's the last year.

Would it really be that big of a deal-breaker in your opinion to get a 2013 vs a 2015? From everything I've researched the biggest differences was between 2012 and 2013 but haven't found much in the way of 2013-2015 differences. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    If the 2013 has what you are looking for do not hesitate to get it. My 2014 458 Spider is off the free service plan this year, so a 2015 would basically get you one free oil change.

Rob

3. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Hey Rob, thanks for the reply! Yeah that's about what I figured... Are you aware of any major changes from '13-'15?

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 2013 458 Spider has 46K trouble-free miles (by trouble-free I mean one single wheel sensor replaced at $500...that’s it).

Gh21631 and Chase Butler like this.
  5. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Good to know! I've heard a lot of people mention there's not many major issues with the 458 Spider which is nice. Thanks!

6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    No changes that I am aware of. I have loved every minute and every mile with my 2014 458 Spider. Absolutely no regrets.

Rob

430jm likes this.
  7. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    My understanding is the earliest cars have more snap and crackle in the exhaust note. No changes through the lifecycle and yes only annual service is included so why make a decision base on that?

8. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I have a 2013 458 Spider. All things being equal, a 2014 or 2015 will cost more up front but be worth more when it's time to sell or trade.
    If you plan to collect it rather than drive it, the 15 is probably the one to have. But then it's just garage art and you have missed out on the incredible
    experience of driving one.

Ivinsea and Chase Butler like this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I feel sorry for those that don’t drive these cars. Really drive them.

Chase Butler and DefunctNeurons like this.
  10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I have a 2013. For me the included maintenance was just a chance for the dealer to get the car in the door and make up things that weren't really wrong with it.

NMNMNMN and Chase Butler like this.
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    If the 2013 clicks all the boxes for you I would jump all over it. The only reason to wait on a 2015 is if you wanted to have the last year in production. Otherwise they’re are no appreciable changes in the 2013-2015 model years. Don’t wait. Life is extremely unpredictable and it’s not a dress rehearsal. Go for it.

Chase Butler likes this.
  12. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

Chase Butler and rob5819 like this.
  13. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I’m in the process of purchasing a 2013 spider too. I ruled out 11-12s but considered 13-15s. I didn’t stress over the maintenance plan, my bigger decision is whether or not to buy the extended power warranty.

Chase Butler likes this.
  14. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I bought the two extended power warranty and 10 months later have not needed it. I've only put about 700 miles on the car though.
    I doubt that I will repurchase it at the end of two years unless the car starts to become problematic.

Chase Butler and jc1 like this.
  15. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Yeah I pretty much ruled out the the 11-12s as well.

p.s. i see you're in SD, if you're looking at the red '13 spider at lambo newport I'm going to be very jealous because that was the one I was looking at hahaha

16. kumar75150

kumar75150 Rookie

Feb 20, 2006
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Kumar
    What are the reasons people are ruling out 11-12s?

I've heard from some that they're more likely to have the transmission sensor problem but then some swear there is no correlation to model year.

Chase Butler likes this.
  17. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Mainly I just wanted a closer to end of manufacturing model. I've also heard there's more known issues with the earlier ones as well so that was a factor as well.

18. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Don't worry mine will definitely get driven a lot haha

jc1 likes this.
  19. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I did look at that one but decided to pass.

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have a 15 Italia and there is no difference between 13 & 15. Don't even count on Ferrari giving you your last yr. of service free. I was informed by Ferrari in that my 15's date of manufacture was June 2014 they would not honor my 7th & last free service. It's now independent service for me!

Chase Butler likes this.
  21. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would rule out the later models, the earlier you can get the better they sound!

They are super-cheap to maintain (regular services is at least half the price compared to my lambos) so the free maintenance plan should not matter imo.

Chase Butler and Mikael-F360 like this.
  22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I have a ‘15 Italia and I’ve put about 6k miles on it in 1.5 years. It still had four of the “free to me” annual maintenance services left when I purchased it, of which I’ve gotten three completed. Last one (the 7th) will be early next year…

I purchased the two year power warranty when I bought it, which is up early next year as well. I have had zero problems with mechanical issues, so all three annual services were free to me and I have not used the power warranty.

It’s an amazing car and it has been rock solid and reliable for the year and a half that I’ve owned it. I’m not sure if I will extend the power warranty or not when it expires… Like so many things in life, it’s a gamble.

If you have a big issue crop up that’s covered, you’re glad you have the PW. If not, you loose a few thousand £’s and you second guess your decision - maybe…

Cheers!

Chase Butler likes this.
  23. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Let me give you some great advice as an owner.

-Don't look at the year, look at SPECS.
    -I would buy from official dealer.
    -Find a car with +10k miles on it. Major issues already fixed.
    -Coupe has no cowl shake and is the drivers' car.
    -You want the LED steering wheel.
    -SPORT SEATS ARE A MUST.
    -...and you don't need the front lift.

You are welcome!

RayJohns and Chase Butler like this.
  24. Chase Butler

Chase Butler Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chase Butler
    Good to know! Yeah having the maintenance or not wasn't really a deal breaker just more of a nice addition. Funny about the lambos because I've had a few people try to convince me to go with a Huracan instead but I declined lol

Yeah so far that's the number one good thing I keep hearing is these are pretty solid with not a lot of issues. I might just gamble with the PW if they offer it haha

Yeah definitely care more about the specs than the year but also not in a crazy rush so kinda want the best of both.

Most of those things you listed I already have on my list of things to look for, but as for the front lift... Where I live we have a good amount of steeper driveways and annoying high speed bumps around. Would you still advise that it's not super important?

25. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I bought my '15 Italia in Ohio and took it to the local dealer for some very minor repairs. The service advisor told me I was lucky to have a '15 because while there are no official changes between '13-'15 they "made the cars better and made minor changes that they never announced."

I'm not sure how true that all is. I suppose even if every single bolt and panel and line of code were exactly the same, you could say that after 5 years of manufacturing they got better at making them. Mario and Luigi on the Maranello floor were more practiced after the 5-year production run.

I have heard that you want to avoid the '10-'11 MY because of tranny issues. Though those are also the years that you had more snap, crackle, and pop in the exhaust.

Personally I would prioritize specs over year. It could take a long time to find the exact specs you want and the difference in MY are really very minor if anything at all.