PPF Question | FerrariChat

PPF Question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Jpacione, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    New to Ferrari, and taking delivery of my 812 in the next several days. It’s getting a full PPF, as I do with all my cars. My question is whether I should instruct the shop to do/not do anything special with respect to this car. For example, they normally remove emblems, etc. On this car, is that not advisable? Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It really depends on the shop and the level of trust you have in them. Those cars are not specifically difficult to take apart, so as long ss they follow the manual and take the necessary precautions, I wouldnt be worried. And that will give a better overall finish.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Thanks. I was recalling something I read on this forum around a water leak that was coming through a Ferrari emblem on the rear. Made me paranoid. I’ve never worried about it on my other cars.

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    My 812SF is completely PPF wrapped, and they didn’t remove any emblems for it. That may just be how they do it, but I feel like they did a great job on it. Every shop will be slightly different

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    100% coverage of the exterior is what I recommend. Also, I had them do ceramic coating on top, although many others feel like that step is unnecessary. I use Exoshield on the front windshield. I installed Suntek because, at the time, it was the only manufacturer that had rolls big enough to prevent having to use a seam or notch on the front hood of the 812. That may have changed in the last couple years. All my other cars are Xpel. I enjoy having a certain measure of protection on my cars, but mostly I love never having to wash them. All they really require is a squirt of quick detailer and a microfiber and I am good to go. No swirls. No buffing.

Jpacione and SeattleStew like this.
  6. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Stek film also has the ability to do the hood in 1 full piece. It doesn't need a ceramic coating on top, but it is usually offered by the install company. Like Thecadster said, you should check if they'll be able to do the hood in 1 full piece.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Thanks - this is my thought process too. I didn’t know that some PPF templates may have multiple pieces on the hood. I’ll look into that asap, as I’m looking to get XPEL installed. I’ll update this thread when I find out, for others’ benefit as well.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Got a quick answer back from my PPF guy - they will be using bulk roll (72”) to do the hood. So seems they were aware already. I could definitely see if a shop were using just templates and those templates were based on a smaller roll, it would have to be done in multiple pieces. Thank you for the call out!

Thecadster likes this.
  9. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yeah they should be able to use xpel and not show any seams now. I have xpel on my GTS and it has no seams. My SF has seams using xpel but that was before they made a change.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Same installer for GTS as the SF?

11. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Hood is all one piece nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    On my F12 the hood didn’t have seems, it had exposed notches at the top of the hood by the windshield. It was odd, but it was either that or have seems in the hood. Glad the industry adapted to larger rolls for more complete coverage.

13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yes it was the same installer. Xpel just came out with a larger roll I believe between 2018 and 2020.

Thecadster likes this.