308 GTS QV door card problems | FerrariChat

308 GTS QV door card problems

Discussion in '308/328' started by ThreeSixtyM, May 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Hi all.

I’ve spent some time today working through a couple of issues on my newly acquired 308; new leather speaker covers, new speakers and window adjustment.

All went very well and disassembly was very straightforward, that is until it was time to remount the door card. I simply couldn’t get it in to position.
    I moved on to the other door and took great care during the strip down, noting how everything went together. Again all went well, but once the door card was removed I was back in the same situation; impossible to reposition with the clips correctly in place at the top of the door frame.

I have now left it alone, luckily the car is in for a service in 3 weeks, I’m sure they can sort it out. However, is there something I’m
    missing, or doing incorrectly? If anyone has a link to a video of the process I would really appreciate it. I don’t often get defeated by this sort of thing, but today was the day.

At least the door mechanisms still operate so the car can be driven. Extremely pleased with the car so far. It’s such a lovely thing to own.

Many thanks

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's kinda tricky. You've got to tilt it up at the back, make sure the metal tag on the card towards the front hooks over the lip of the door panel, hold your breath, face Mecca, whistle Dixie, and kinda wiggle it in. It's been a while now, but I think it's easier with the window down... or maybe up. :rolleyes:

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, that's the general idea. Rotate it slightly and insert the front corner first, then pull the back corner down and in.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Also a piece of rubber tube over the door lock rod to keep it lined up with the hole makes it easier. But it is finnicky and difficult. And window down. I don't think you can do anything with the window up.

5. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Thanks to all you guys for responding.
    Armed with your advice I’m going to have another go...!
    Have a great day.

6. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    If you align and install the front of the door card with the front of the door. Then rotate the card in the Z plane back and forth from you. Once the first third is in place use the heel of your hand to tamp the card into place. The door lock can be positioned with skinny fingers or hemostats. Voila done.

In some cases examine the seam at the top of the door - in some cases they’re slightly bent end need to be straightened to help slide onto the frame.
    Hope this helps. It’s an art form. Like our Ferrari’s - works of art not production.

ThreeSixtyM likes this.
  7. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Thank you for taking the time to explain the technique. I’m having another look at it this coming weekend. Hopefully it’ll go well and I won’t have to admit my failure to my service guy !

8. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Job completed. It is a fiddle, but thanks to you guys it didn’t take too long. Particular thanks to Banzairacer for his very accurate description of the process. I’m very grateful sir.