Original Coolant Hoses - Replace! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Original Coolant Hoses - Replace!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Great to know this, I would never have guessed they were this tight a clearance to fit.

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #27 enzo360, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    The original ones can be expensive (Eurospares £303 each). I got the advise here many years ago (see the link earlier in this thread) to try a truck and tractor repair shop, they usually have those 'off' sizes and are way less expensive. Got mine at 75 euro for both.
    Even the 90° bend one I found from about e30 delivered.
    With regards

3. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ha. The truck and tractor supply places in Belgium may be different than Texas. After reading the threads mentioned above. I had some interesting conversations with locals on hoses, “boy, we don’t carry no metrics”. Which got me trouble with the 1” 5/8 that does not fit. Superformance out of the Uk had the hoses for 194.95 pounds each. Got them in a couple of days and they worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Were you just able to slide the new Superformances hoses through the back opening, and out they pop on the front end? Was it that simple, or still some mysterious technique to thread the hoses? Will be tackling this myself soon.

5. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The hoses went right in by just pushing by hand. I was set up to use a rope with a plate at the far end of the hose to pull it through but it was not needed. The hard part was matching the front pipes. Since the car was on jack stands I kept having to crawl out and adjust the front and crawl back and adjust the rear. Definitely do the upper hose first. Since I replaced the two short hoses in the rear. The short connector pipes are tough working around the gas tank hoses and I kind of buggered up the throttle cable coating a little. It gets in the way. Now that that is done the battery needs replacing. It was dead when I attempted to start her up. That is an interesting extraction.

moysiuan likes this.
  6. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The hoses are all connected and clamps are tight. New coolant has been added and with a new battery installed Gina fired right up and is running at temperature now. Will check for leaks but so far looks good. Only thing left to do is install the belly pan and get her off the Jack stands and go for a long test drive. Ahhhh.

moysiuan and JLF like this.
  7. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Off the jacks. A fun drive around the neighborhood. Getting rid of the old hoses seems to have improved the cooling. Was actually hard to get the temperature up. Now a good washing is required.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Richqv, moysiuan and JLF like this.
  8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Nice work, and thanks for the writeup.

Richqv likes this.
  9. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks to this thread, I pulled the center tunnel hoses in my 83 QV, and was shocked to find out just how bad they were :

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looked fine on the outside, coolant looked good, and only 25K miles on the car.

The hoses got stuck when starting to pull them out, but realized it was the thickened end at the pipe joints that was too big for the tunnel. Cut both hoses off at the front, and then the bottom one slid right out the back. Top one needed a rope clamped to it with vice grips for more leverage and then pulled out with only a minor struggle. New 62" Superformance hoses slid right in.

Car wasn't overheating, but took the rad to the shop who said it was getting plugged up with rubber bits. A bonus is the new core they installed is 30% more efficient.

Thanks Moysiuan, you were so correct with the title of this thread.

Cheers,
    Phil