Joining the F12 Community w/build sheet mystery | FerrariChat

Joining the F12 Community w/build sheet mystery

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BruceC, May 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    F430 Spider out – F12 in.

I generally like to think of myself as a careful shopper when it comes to cars, having been on the lookout for a performance coupe for a year and a half. Initially, I was looking at AMG GTRs (incl Pro) but most had mat finishes that I don’t particularly care for and the few that were interesting showed signs of abuse. After expanding my search to include F12s, I stumbled on this F12 in Blu America and all caution and logic went out the window which I suspect might have been apparent to the folks at Ferrari Lake Forest in spite of my best efforts to hide my enthusiasm. I know blue cars aren’t for everybody but the Blu America/Cuoio combo really flipped my switches.

The build sheet designation for the finish didn’t make sense to me and of course, Ferrari declined to explain what it could mean indicating I should ask the dealer who chalked it up to a translation error (even though the dealer included the same designation in their listing). So I wanted to see if any of our well informed FC members had any thoughts as to whether or not “ ¾ layers paint” has some hidden meaning?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ...and here it is in the flesh.

Roman456, Boomhauer, ANOpax and 2 others like this.
  2. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    I believe the "3/4" simply means that Blu America is a 3 - or - 4 layer paint.

Looks great...and congratulations.

3. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Bobby is right. I have had several Grigio ferro and one Ross MaR. And they are triple layer paints. Very $$. Beautiful car

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    At first when I saw the thread title, i wanted to write " I'm Lieutenant Dcmetro, and this is Lieutenant @Boots . We take the case. "

But Bobby has it completely right, exactly what I was going to say. Great car.

5. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    Loved working with Ferrari Lake Forrest for my F12.

6. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Lol! Love a good mystery.

dcmetro likes this.
  7. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks all. I was thinking 3 layer paint which is easy enough to understand. The "4" in that designation seemed like it could be intended to convey some abstract meaning, but who knows? I find it a bit odd when you can actually manage to contact the offices of the manufacturer in question and they consistently refer you back to "your local dealer," who in my experience rarely has the answer to these questions. I got the same treatment from MB when I tried to find out if any AMG GTR Pros were exported to the states in brilliant blue metallic. I'm not sure how a dealer would be in a position to answer a question of that nature.

8. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Whoever got back to you probably didn't feel like writing something in stone and risk being incorrect I'd guess. Best to leave it to us nerds to figure out, lol. However I've always wondered is there a 4 layer metallic paint above the triple layers? If so, are there examples of that?

9. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe 3 base coats and 4 clear coats?

10. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Many more knowledgeable here than me but I do recall hearing about some that are 4 layers. Ferro is a triple. And for what’s it worth, I was told that a scratch was nearly impossible to fix on triple layer and of course dinged my 812 SF boot on an opened garage door in the first week...had it touched up and no one...like no one... could find it.

11. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Beautiful Car..love the blue

BruceC likes this.
  12. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth

I have same color - love it. I think the paint was 20k option. Spec prob very close. Yours a 15 though right..?

A bit too close for comfort parking the other day! Gotta stop driving mine so much.

I use this car as DD. How can people leave these in garages ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bobby_P likes this.
  13. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Not sure if it is metallic (from the photos, I assume no), but apparently Piano Black is a 4-layer paint.

2016 Used Ferrari F12tdf Coupe at Scottsdale Ferrari Serving Phoenix, AZ, IID 20792358

Boots likes this.
  14. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Actually, it's a 2013.

Yup, that ground clearance situation currently has me parking a mile away from curbs, etc. still getting used to the boundary limits. I do have front suspension lift - a necessity if I want to drive forward out of my driveway from hell (my previous 430 Spider had to be backed out to avoid scraping - the penalty for living in the scenic Catalina foothills).

I'm definitely more comfortable using the F12 as a daily whereas that was not the case with the 430 Spider, but I have to admit I miss some of the rawness of the 430. Something that would probably be offset with a few subtle exhaust mods. But for the present, I'm going to fight the tendency to make any changes that could impact the 2 yr warranty.

Bobby P's comment re: the Piano Black being a 4-layer is interesting, making me think that maybe the "3/4" build sheet designation indicates it's a combination of 3 & 4 layers?

15. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, there are 4 layer paints.
    I interpret their writing to mean an extracampionario category including 3 and 4 layer paint represented by that code.

BruceC likes this.
  17. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    This seems the most logical explanation to date. I have to smile though, the Ferrari salesman that sold me the car thought it was an interpretation error said, (and I quote) "there is only 2 and 3 layer paint." The Scottsdale listing says otherwise as well and has me thinking how strange it is that Ferrari chooses to be so mysterious about a feature that is geared to generate more revenue.

18. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Just to cap this off, I was at Scottdale for warranty service :( , and the tdf is marked sold, basically listed at $1MM - impressive looking car - not metallic. I have to shake my head at the premium Ferrari makes back on their special models, but there always seems to be someone out there willing to pay the price of admission for that level of exclusivity.... and yes, one of their salesmen confirmed exactly what others on this thread had already said, i.e. the "3/4" designation on the build sheet simply means you have a 3 or 4 layer paint.

Bobby_P likes this.
  19. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Capitalism, baby! I’d rather pay overages than drive a Yugo.

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great looking car!

BruceC likes this.