Longest road trip in your Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Longest road trip in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsmith

Carsmith Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Palm Beach
    Not a long drive but a good one.
    Bought a Ferrari 355 Challenge (An Airconditioned,Only One(?) RHD Factory built 355 Challenge,fitted with a Line Lock "Handbrake"in the centre console by Neil Lowe,to stop it rolling on the grid. Challenge cars didn't have the fly off Handbrake of the Road Cars, actually it is the one Moretti now owns) Raced it in Nations Cup,at Lakeside, Qld,drove it on a Trade Plate overnight,quite quickly I think :),to Sydney,fitted spare set of Slicks lent to me,Raced it at Eastern Creek,Trade plate to Melbourne,watched Phillip Island Superbikes,and Trade Plate back to Sydney. Call it 1800 Miles,but a Fun trip.Mick Mitchell (Hughie) maintained it superbly.Never an issue,unlike my F360 Challenge,but that's another Ferrari story,
    CRS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jonny English likes this.
  2. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    My 308 GT 4 has done 2 cross country trips Newcastle to Perth plus sight seeing along the way,roughly 10k klms each trip.
    I should add return trips.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    About time you chipped in Kenny! :)

kena likes this.
  4. fezzakiwi

fezzakiwi Rookie

May 10, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip & Stephanie Horrocks
    6500km around Europe, 2010, in our 2003 575M F1, since replaced with a 2004 575M 6sp manual. Started in Colchester, finished in Egham. Travelled through UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany. Story about what was a truly memorable trip here: https://ferraridriver.co.nz/drive

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson
    Back in the mid 60's my mother and father used to drive their 1962 250 2+2 from Chicago to Colorado, Utah, Arizona and all over the southwest for 3 weeks every summer.. They had a blast. Two drunks one time asked if it was a new Mustang.

6. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    In 1969 I drove my "63 250GTE #4209 from Charlottesville, VA ,where I lived, to Pinedale, WY for a mountain climbing expedition into the Wind River Range. It was about 2100 miles one way, so my total was 4200 miles. I also drove it to Deland, FL, a round-trip of 1570 miles. During that trip I encountered a torrential rainstorm that was so severe that trailer trucks were pulling off the road. The rain was so heavy that visibility was almost nil.

Jonny English likes this.
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This should be post of the year

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nembo1777, Bryanp and tomc like this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You drove a Ferrari in college????

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Lots of 1000 mile trips in my 430 spider. I have put 46k miles on it. Did a 2000 mile trip to FCA Scottsdale in 2019 in my FF

10. 355 P4

355 P4 Karting

Oct 13, 2020
    So. California
    Full Name:
    Bill Krueger
    From LA to Vegas and back in a 64 250 GT Lusso (5155) in 69. Hit 148 mph.

11. Carsmith

Carsmith Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Palm Beach
    Nice occasion. My wife and I met Enzo Ferrari in that Beige Office Building in 1982 picking up a BB512.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I saw your FF. You were parked a few spots away from me on the show field. I wanted to talk to you because I had purchased my FF just before leaving and hadn't even driven it yet. Every time I looked over at your car you weren't there. So I never got to speak with you.

Way2fast likes this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sorry I missed you. My FF is getting a new hub carrier

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Great thread reading the stories of the caretakers that drove the heck out of their Ferraris.

Lucky me like 166MM alum my ole man gifted me a 330 GTC for my last year in college in 1976-7. I drove that car from DE to Gainesville FL a number of times....around 900 miles. That GTC was my only car for 5 years. Put over 100,000 miles on and sold it for 2x the cost in 1985. It's replacement a 76 BB was a fast ride from DE to Palm Beach. Back then nobody was on the old US highways. I remember motoring down 301 at a buck-twenty while my wife was asleep.

My current GTC has been from Naples FL to Blowing Rock NC. 821 miles non-stop on a 100 degree summer day.

Next week I will drive the 330 from Naples to our home at Living Falls NC. About 800 miles. Will report on the trip.

Nembo1777, JimEakin, ross and 4 others like this.
  15. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Longest round trips have been to Columbus OH, Road America (twice-shipped car home on one) and Watkins Glen (twice) for FCA National meets, roughly 6,600 miles total including side excursions along the way. I have made many 500-600 miles trips over the years to Maine and Maryland for assorted car events. My '72 GTC/4 has over 105,000 on the odometer, roughly 40,000 of which are mine over the 15 years i have owned the car. I had planned to drive to Monterey and back in 2019 but both the car and I had issues - I got 2 new hips and the car a total engine rebuild. We are both good for another 100K.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  17. Bcy288

Bcy288 Rookie

Feb 27, 2020
    Love these road trip stories! Super inspired to do some distance in our Scud.

18. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Part and parcel of road trips is what you experience along the way. In post # 9 of this thread I talked about m cross country trip in 1963. Here is a description of couple of events on that trip.

Annual rainfall in Needles, CA is about 5 inches which usually occurs in monsoon season in August. Hence my surprise on that early April Sunday morning when I walked out of the motel in Needles to discover that it was raining. Climbing out of the valley on Highway 66 into the mountains of Arizona I discovered that as long as I kept the speed over 35 MPH that the wind stream carried the rain past my head. That was all well and good until I caught up with a “little old lady” in her 1939 black Ford Coupe chugging along at about 30 MPH. I was getting wet and the double yellow lines on the curvy road made passing difficult. I finally came to a short clear stretch with no oncoming traffic, dropped the car into second and proceeded to vigorously pass her. While alongside I suddenly heard a loud explosion. But then the loud sound continued and I spied in the rear view mirror a strange object following me. It seems that the back pressure from the motor at high revs was too much for the wires hanging the big temporary muffler in place and when they broke, the flex exhaust tubing unraveled, the clamps held and that object still attached behind me was the muffler. The explosive sound was simply my motor running at high revs with a straight pipe. Sheepishly I pulled off the road as she continued on her way. At that point I had no choice but to refit the normal straight pipe exhaust and face the prospect of 500 more miles to Albuquerque as I did not expect to find any repair shop open on Sunday..

With fairly wild race cam timing, the motor has very little power under about 3,700 rpm. The nine metal disc clutch is either in or out. Thus the starting procedure is to bring the revs up, dump the clutch, squeal rubber for abut 3 feet and once rolling things settle out. That is all fine and good on the race track, but with a straight pipe, it is not the recommended procedure when leaving a stop light in any small Arizona town with the ticket ready constable siting alongside the road waiting for any loud misbehaving Californian headed east.

That rain with which I began the day turned to snow as I got to the border of New Mexico and by the time I crossed the Continental divide the driving was quite treacherous and I was getting really cold. I spotted a lonely gas staton and pulled in next to the building to thaw out. When I entered the building, the attendant had a startled look of trepidation. I looked in the mirror of the cigarette machine and understood why. We are miles from anywhere, there is no car at the pump, here is this creature, human from the chest down but totally white except for two smudges on goggles under white snowy hood. Scary.

This is getting to be too long, but the point is not just the mileage but the interesting things one encounters whether it is scenery or people or strange happenings on road trips. My advice is to go drive these magnificent machines and enjoy the experience!

Best regards,

Robert

pdxjim488, JimEakin, ross and 8 others like this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. buckwheat

buckwheat Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Full Name:
    M. Stephen Martin

21. buckwheat

buckwheat Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Full Name:
    M. Stephen Martin
    • Longest road trip in my 2018 488GTB:
    Portland, Oregon to Providence, Rhode Island and return: 6,795 miles.
    Longest single day: Providence, RI to Mears, Michigan: 1,044 miles, 800 of which we’re in pouring rain.
    No mechanical problems; No oil consumption; One tire lost one pound of pressure.

Other trips: several to Michigan, San Diego, Montana, and return.

All total: 45,123 miles during first 23 months of ownership.

22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've done a few, longest was around 3,000 miles or so. I've even written about some of them on this forum, but that was a long time ago. The threads are still there, but I think the pictures were lost in the great crash. Nothing like a road trip, I love em in any car.

23. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wonderful story!

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I went and looked and 3k is light. . The longest was about 6k in a 550. Probably one of the best f cars ever.

SCantera likes this.
  25. Eric Cruz

Eric Cruz Rookie

Aug 21, 2009
    Barhamsville, VA
    Full Name:
    Eric Cruz
    Yes, I noticed that typo. If I could figure out how to edit from my phone I would!

550 is back from paint correction guy yesterday. PPF applied on entire front all the way back to the doors. (A shout out for DJ Mayo in Nokesville, VA who is just phenomenal.) All ready for the Final Five next week...getting excited about the trip, thinking we might actually make it! Here’s a couple pics from 2014 I meant to post. One is obvious, the other is Crater Lake, OR in May, with 6’ of snow on the sides of the road.
    Will hop back in here and post on the Final Five mid-June.
    Best regards,
    Eric

Attached Files:

pdxjim488, Nembo1777 and Nospinzone like this.