Installed my new lithium ion battery a few minutes ago | FerrariChat

Installed my new lithium ion battery a few minutes ago

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, May 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The ease of installing a 12 lb battery vs the wrestle to remove the old 50 lb battery made it worth every penny of the price.

The new batt cranks the motor over pretty smartly, also. Group 24, LH POS, if anyone is interested.

I bought the base 1200 CCA, 30 AH battery, didn't see the need for 40 or 60 AH.

Doug

NoGoSlow, Pransingh Horse and mike996 like this.
  2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Doug:

Can you please post a photo of how the new battery sits in the car?

many thanks,
    Alan
    N.J.

tomberlin likes this.
  3. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Which brand of Lithium Ion battery did you buy ?

tomberlin likes this.
  4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Alan, it looks EXACTLY like a group 24 lead acid battery. Exactly. Because it IS a group 24 battery. You order LH side POS, as that puts the POS terminal on the drivers sides when the posts are at the rear.

The POS terminal is at the rear and on the drivers side.

It is an Antigravity brand battery.

Doug

Pransingh Horse likes this.
  5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Antigravity T6/L2? At that price, it should be anti gravity. Too rich for my blood.

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

What? What are the advantages of a lithium battery over a standard battery. 12 lbs vs 50, anything else?

7. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    I chatted with them recently, and they said that there is a 15% sale coming up on memorial day weekend for anyone interested.

Don't know if it was just an upsell, but the tech support guy at Antigravity told me that due to the power draw in the F430, they recommend the 40 or 60 version. It is more money though.

I am rather surprised that they don't warrant them for longer, considering they suggest that they will have a much longer life. For the price, they should.

8. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Weight for sure, but supposedly longevity. But I usually go by a company's warranty policy when it comes to batteries. They usually set the warranty expiry for a week before failure. ;)

A longer warranty allows them to charge more for the product, generating more profits BUT ONLY IF it's a quality product that they aren't having to replace for free under warranty.

9. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh, almost forgot, if you are charging it on a trickle charger, you need to get a lithium specific charger. CTEK makes one.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well to be fair if you were a business selling a product that you knew (and claimed to be) useable for x-number of years, why on Earth would you warranty it for beyond that? When I bought a new water heater for the house I looked at the row - $300, $400, $500... They all looked the same. Hell, they all WEIGHED the same. The only difference was the length of the "extended" warranty.

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'd be concerned that the alternator won't charge it properly - they have a reputation of being finnicky.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW - I bought an Li Fe (Shorai) battery in '12 for my 1973 Norton Commando motorcycle with aftermarket electric start and that same batt is still in the bike. The charging system is OEM. As I said - SAME battery has been in the bike for 9 years! I can't recall ever getting more than around three years on a moto battery.

I agree that the price for the battery mentioned in the earlier post is a bit off-putting! And, although I am very pleased with Li FE performance on my Norton, I wouldn't consider spending that kind of money for a 328 battery. If/when Li batt prices drop to maybe 1/3 of the current price - if they ever do - I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

My experience with the Norton indicates that although a charging system designed for lead/acid is not optimum for Li, functionally it has made no difference...even though the entire charging system of the Norton was designed/supplied by Lucas! :D

13. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I’ve had a small lithium motorcycle battery cranking over the speedster for over 6 years, it sits forever then get fired up moved around, if it needs a little charge I just throw a battery charger on it, nothing special. It was $250 years ago. You can see it if you zoom in
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NoGoSlow and TurtleFarmer like this.
  14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I used my Quad ATV as a LI-ION battery guinea pig for the last three years, yup, the lead acid batts just didn't last, 2 years max for me, I will know in another 3 years if the new battery paid for itself on the quad.

I wouldn't spend the money for a lightweight batt in my DDs, but the batts are much more accessible on those.

Doug

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am willing to buy one (shutter at the price) if it reduces weight by 25lbs and lasts longer.

16. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Me too. If they guaranteed it would last significantly longer, I'd consider one. Otherwise, i'll wait and let others guinea pig it out. With all of the developments in the EV space, and EV battery chemistry / battery costs projected to drop substantially, I would not be surprised to see some more competition in this space, resulting in better quality batteries, and better warranties.

17. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada

You are absolutely right. I look at warranties as really solid projections of the life of a product from the people most knowledgable about it - the people that made it.

Went through the same thing own the water heater too. Ended up calling the manufacturer, and they told me that the additional money was for a better quality part inside that lasted longer, thus rendering the tank far less likely to fail during the enhanced warranty time. I forgot which part it was, perhaps it was a liner or something.

18. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I'd consider the price of that an incentive to lose 25lbs off myself and then maybe I'll last longer!

I've only ever had 2 batteries in my 328 in the 22 years I've owned it. The current (Bosch S5 007) went in in early 2009 (and I think I've only lifted it out once since!).

I've probably put a hex on it now but at the last count it was working fine.

ferrariowner likes this.
  19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Based on my experience making such statements, I'd just go on out and buy a new battery now. That way it won't be so annoying when it quits later in the next week or so!! :)

20. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    We will find out shortly when I dig the thing out the garage for the first time in a while!

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Damn the Daddy O is finally complete!!

22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a lithium battery in one of my motorcycles, Anti Gravity, I needed a different regulator to charge the battery, so I believe your going to need one in a Ferrari as well, I prefer a gel cel, optima, I know they are heavy, but it will charge correctly with the standard alternator , Anti Gravity or any other lithium, are going to need a special voltage regulator, I tried to use the Anti unit with the stock regulator on my motorcycle, I had to install a special voltage rectifier in order for the charging system to work with this battery. This is my experience, I tried also with a Shorai , I had the same issue.

Thank you

23. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The battery has internal circuitry to deal with charge/over charge/undercharge and battery temps and was designed to work with a std VR and alternator as an automobile starting battery.

I have used a LI batt in my ATV for several years with no issues.

Some motorcycles don't really have an alternator, but rather simple rotor/stator charging system, those may not work well with a lithium battery.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A thousand bucks for a battery?

It will take 20 years to recover the savings

25. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    $747 for a battery. If you want smaller, you can get a lithium battery for ~$295 or so, they just have less cold crank capacity.

Something like this:
    https://www.aerovoltz.net/aerovoltz-ai-series-480-cca-experimental-intelligent-lithium-battery/
    You just have to make your own battery hold down.

This isn't a which is cheaper choice, it is weight reduction decision.

I have to laugh at how cheap some people are, they buy a Ferrari then don't want to spend any money on it, which explains why most older F-cars are in a need of a bunch of work.

Doug

ginoBBi512 likes this.