Did you see what that 2010 458 Coupe sold for at Mecum? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did you see what that 2010 458 Coupe sold for at Mecum?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    That car is worth $242K as long as it comes with $62K cash in the glove box.

2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    This isn't a 458. This is a Speciale Spider, which have been known to reach the 700 plus mark as of about a year ago. Have to compare apples to apples.

SAFE4NOW and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Numbered editions are an exception, that's for certain, it is a rare day that a 458SA trades for under 500K...

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Aperta, not spider. Brainflatus

5. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    Well I just paid almost 200 for a very nice 8k mile example. Having a 991.2 turbo...I now "get it". There is an amazing x factor about driving one of these.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Ferrari is on track to replace all their V8s with twin turbo V6s across the board. NA V8 Ferraris including the 458 will become unicorns eventually and prices will continue to elevate IMHO. Having said that they still are mass produced so I'm not sure the ceiling will be as high as some have projected here. Time will tell.

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks just lucky to find the right combo for us!

Thecadster likes this.
  8. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Mileage considerations seem to be less concerning to buyers. Prices more based on year and condition and specs. The over 10,000 mile mental block may be on the way out?

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    I've never understood this. Cars with practically no miles have been sitting and likely to have more problems if they are driven.

GT2goneF and Mikael-F360 like this.
  10. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
  11. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So I am interested in what everyone thinks of this:

So COVID causes less car demand and the pandemic effects both the work force as well as the supply chain and less new cars are made.

Less new product increases new car prices which leads to people looking at and buying used cars, which then increase the price of used cars due to supply and demand.

Does this logic still work for Ferrari owners?

Did COVID slow production so much that Maranello can’t meet demand and people are looking at used market?

Or is it because the Ferraristi aren’t buying the new product and this has led more to buy used models, creating increases in price due to supply and demand?

Very interested in what others feel is going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I think it is listed as Iroko, but it looks lighter to me based on some of the internet representations I have seen.

13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I don’t think Ferrari’s output in 2021 is vastly different than what had been planned (please correct me if I’m wrong).

I personally think the strength in the used exotics market being driven more by a ‘rude awakening’ among petrolheads that the next models will be heavier, quieter and less engaging to drive. Basically the opposite of what many enthusiasts buy these cars for.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the main competition for the exotic car makers won’t be each other, but rather the back catalog of desirable cars already in the market.

GT2goneF, Mikael-F360, JTSE30 and 3 others like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I totally agree. I couldn’t have said it any better, and won’t even try to improve on it.

Rexcat458 and ScrappyB like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Also, Chris Harris said this in concluding his review of the M5 CS. Spot on.

“If you can, you should while you still can.”

Rexcat458 and Thecadster like this.
  16. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    You said everyone. I guess that includes me.
    Yes, and the car companies canceled their supply orders including semiconductors (microprocessors). This is coming back to bite them.
    Yes, then the car companies try to ramp production back up, but they have a problem. When they canceled their semiconductor orders, the computer industry quickly absorbed that capacity because of their increased demand due to everyone working and schooling from home. The world semiconductor fabrication capacity is a nearly fixed resource because it takes billions of dollars and many years to build a new fab facility. so the semiconductor companies tell the car companies to call back next year. This makes a big supply squeeze on new cars. This creates a big demand for used cars. Inventory drys up and prices go through the roof.
    Yes, I think that it is a trickle up thing. Price of a used Toyota goes up, Price of a used BMW goes up. Price of a Maserati, goes up. Price of a Ferrari goes up. Check out the used Ferrari inventory right now.
    I think that this is a factor. Ferrari is probably having the same semiconductor as the rest of the industry too.
    I don't think this is significant yet. The current Ferrari line is Ferrari enough still I think. The 812 is still a Ferrari, the F8, although turbocharged is still a Ferrari. I drove a Roma, and even though it is not my style, I was shocked at how much I liked it. I think it is still a Ferrari. I can't see ever being interested in a V-6 though. Maybe if they call it a Dino, and it is really really good.

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Ain’t that the truth...

18. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Very interesting and well made points. Always great conversations on this forum.

19. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Not just 458. Everything is going through the roof. Hope it stays that way.

20. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Part of the Ferrari allocation and build process is to patiently wait. This is part of the culture of the exclusivity of the brand.

So I agree with the above opinions that this is not impatience on the part of buyers leading to frustration and snatching up used product.

I think this could be a possible trend toward looking back at older models and maybe enjoying the raw feel of the pre-turbo days with less refinement. Or whatever the reason, hybrid haters and those that can’t stomach an SUV. Idk.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A bit of extreme enthusiasm. The 458 is a wonderful car and better in most ways than any of the V8 mids made after. But a production level car made in such quantities will not see 600k in your lifetime.

22. More demand for exotics (new and used).

Why?

For the past year, people in the 1% (i.e., Ferrari buyers and other luxury goods consumers) have had no where to spend their money -- no vacation, not fine dining, no concerts, no nothing.

So once you've bought all the Dogecoin and NTFs you can stomach, you start looking at other discretionary goods, bigger houses, luxury yachts, high end timepieces, and of course our favorite ... cars.

Thecadster and willcrook like this.
  23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    this, it's just a different experience now and power has reached levels where there is no actual point on the roads of having more.

someone I know (who has an astonishing collection) recently drove the SF90 and described it as '****'.

24. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I’m sorry $200,000 for what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk