FF navigation upgrade: Jeep/Dodge android upgrade units ? | FerrariChat

FF navigation upgrade: Jeep/Dodge android upgrade units ?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ElSpa, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    Hi,

Has anyone tried to install a plug&play JEEP android navigation in the FF ? I took down my FF unit and it is the same as a Wrangler 2012 one (RHR 730N), same plugs. Here two pics of the units.
    There are a lot of great direct replacement Android upgrade units available for the Jeep / Dodge RHR 730N that retains all the factory functions. Common sense says they should work, right :) ?
    Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/MCWAUTO-Challenger-Wrangler-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B0742DS34M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

andyrichter likes this.
  2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Uncertain. There have been reports that Ferrari keyed the unit to each car in software so you cannot replace them and perhaps store key info in the unit that is not there when they are replaced.

You don’t happen to have a installer/service manual with this replacement unit that you can post? It would be interesting to see what different features might be there and hidden.

SV

3. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    I'll.try and install the factory wrangler one, I have a friend with a wrangler with the same unit ..if it works then the android upgrade unit should work too

350MH83 likes this.
  4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Give it a shot.

But there may not be equivalence. Ferrari just has to change one thing for it not to work in the Ferrari which might not show up in the wrangler.

SV

5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I knew it! I knew Ferrari also does stupid sh it like this. Just like how apple does it with its proprietary stuff making it so exclusive on the expense of customer convenience and satisfaction.

andyrichter likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you try this? im on the edge of my seat!

7. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    This sounds like a cool project - keep it up :)

(oh no I have a 2016 FF - it has a "new" unit for sure, not Android...)

8. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    350MH83 likes this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Which unit is that? Make and model? Who did the custom changes?

Since I am in a -16 FF, will it fit?

Bas and Wazzer like this.
  10. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What year was your FF that it was going to go into? Please PM me.

11. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    #11 ElSpa, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    it's a Xtrons top spec unit, modded by them. My car was a 2014 FF, but it will fit any 2011-2016. It cost me more then $500 with the mods, but I will let it go for $500+shipping+paypal.

12. Wallyman424

Wallyman424 Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Lakeland Fl
    Do you happen to know what they had to do in order to modify it?

13. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    the welcome logo, bus-can amplifier com, and something to do with the camera

14. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I have not been very successful in figuring out what make and model my FF 2016 has for Navigation. It is not the one above, seems to be something called "Becker VP4 NIT" - but all tracks seems to end about there....

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Take a picture, I have a 2016 FF as well, it's just another Chrysler unit if we have the same one....

Should be easy to get any double din + the 20$ trim kit to swap the stuff out (with all the other proper hardware)

16. ElSpa

ElSpa Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Spanachi Mihai Razvan
    sold ! thanks

17. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    FWIW: My MY2016 seems to have an upgraded wiring harness (spelling?) which makes it impossible to retrofit for example the passenger display....

And I have yet to find out what kind of head unit I could use to replace my current "Becker VP4" since it seems to be a not Chrysler based unit.

Strange thing this, that my very late MY2016 (one of the last ones most likely) has "a completely different nav unit and cable harness" - right....

vraa likes this.
  18. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    2016 is when they added Apple Carplay (really the only feature most people seem to want)

So it could indeed be different

Also did the new owner ever install this?

19. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Can you share a picture of the front of your head unit and any other pictures you have?

20. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well just search for a FF 2016, like this one:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yeah I have that head unit, I saw others which had another plug on the bottom right

What's your wiring harness look like?

I ordered a pioneer unit a few months ago but didn't have time to install yet, my understanding is the harness is all the same

I ordered the chrysler harness too and the side plastic trim hahah its too late to return now so worst case I'll splice things myself and post the wiring diagram here

22. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I have not looked at the harness, however I did ask for the passenger display retrofit a while ago, and the response was that I have a different wire harness so the kit does not fit my car (there seems to be a kit for installing that passenger display - of course it would have been cheeper to install from factory and all that)....