New EPA rules dont allow for clearing a CEL?? | FerrariChat

New EPA rules dont allow for clearing a CEL??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BulletBike, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BulletBike

BulletBike Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone heard of this? I am working through ordering some parts and was ordering a tune with it. I wanted to verify expected performance gains etc and that it would clear the CEL (I am going full system without CATS) and the shop told me they are no longer allowed to remove the CEL due to some new EPA rules. Wanted to get some opinions on this since I'm not interested in driving around with a CEL on all the time.

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Are you in CA or one of the several big cities in other states where emissions checks are required for annual registration, or just annoyed at the stupid light?

3. BulletBike

BulletBike Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 20, 2021
    Austin, TX
    I am in Austin, TX like you it seems, registration is good for 2 years I believe. Cant be sure since I dont have my cars long enough usually to find out. :)

4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Registration on a new car (or maybe any car from a dealer, I'll have to check my truck) is good for two years.
    So yeah, unless you can register in a neighboring county you'll need to get rid of that CEL one way or another. I expect that unless you've deleted the cats there is a tune out there that will work without tickling the CEL. Some people have been known to switch between tunes at different seasons. Probably unrelated :)

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Just for clarity erasing a CEL is not illegal. Modifying any part of the car (ECM, O2 extenders and spoofing boxes) to prevent a CEL from appearing is illegal and subject to some ridiculous EPA fines. Some parts of the US care and others don't.

technom3 likes this.
  6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Oh, I missed that you wanted to delete the cats... sorry, simply not street legal in every major city here. IMO, the power you get from a cat delete is not worth the hassle. You can get some pretty free-flowing cats that still actually work, keeping you clean and legal. For sound, they don't make nearly as much of a difference as the rest of the system. Smart to think about all this before you buy. Some people do go through the effort of swapping tunes and exhaust systems between track and street use but I haven't known anyone that bothered more than a couple times.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    So really you are in CA haha :)

Ray

tomc and technom3 like this.
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

It's not resetring the CEL light... You have removed emissions equipment which is illegal. Then you are trying to modify the emissions control equipment... Also illegal.

Now listen... I did all this stuff as a young adult and I totally get what you are doing ...

But... We are in a new era with the EPA.

The EPA has raided many many performance shops and fined the owners hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing this.

Removing cats and deleting CEL lights to not report the lack of cats is going to be a thing of the past as the shops do not want the liability... Because they are 100% holding all of the liability and the couple of grand you are paying doesnt stack up to the 10k plus fine per occurrence... So per cat... Per ecu reflash etc...

INRange likes this.
  9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I like your avatar, Ray :)

I'm guessing there's a little kid in your world that made that for you... very nice :)

Jedi

RayJohns likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks! Yeah my daughter drew that on her ipad when she was 4 or 5

Ray

turbokraft and Jedi like this.