Max Mosley has died | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Max Mosley has died

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, May 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #26 spicedriver, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Isobel, jgonzalesm6, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

As you say, Ron was a complete control freak. It was a surprise that Spygate happened on his watch.

jpalmito likes this.
  3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #28 Terra, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    That part was mainly due to Uncle Ron trying to take deliberate advantage of Mansour Ojjeh then-fragile/precarious health when he was on his "death bed" around the time of his double lung transplant back in late-2013.

Nuvolari likes this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That was the epitome of the 'all or nothing move' that went poorly for Ron.

william likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I don’t know why but I always thought that he wasn’t the main culprit in this case ..

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, I heard that.
    It was said that Ron Dennis tried to recapitalise the McLaren Group, to develop the car production, and Mansour Ojjeh's share of the capital would have been reduced.
    The finances would have come from Chinese invstors; that's what the papers reported.
    As most of it was planned when Ojjeh was incapacitated by illness, he took a deem view of that move when he heard of it.
    Back in the saddle, Ojjeh, feeling betrayed by his friend, blocked the move and joined the Bahraini shareholders againsr RD
    Dennis lost the majority of votes on the bord, (now reduced to 25%), then his position as chairman, then CEO, etc ...
    Rather that staying as a simple shareholder, Ron Dennis accepted to sell his portfolio of shares to the rest of the board for £275M, it was announced.
    He invested his fortune in real estate, according to rumours.

ingegnere and Terra like this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

It also helped pay for his divorce

jpalmito likes this.
  8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    In hindsight, what he accomplished was remarkable. I have the greatest respect for him even if he is an Englishman.;)

SimCity3 and 375+ like this.
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A divorce that brought forwards by his wife's infidelity. Ron did not act inappropriately in that deal.

10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Spygate triggered a chain reaction of events.
    Such is life.

Isobel and ingegnere like this.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    From "March Discovers America"

Alan "Mad Dog" McCall rang to say that he had met Don Wittington and had sent him on to Bicester. None of us had heard of Don, but he duly arrived with a suitcase full of cash, just like in the movies, and by the end of that day we had the go-ahead on the project and the Whittingtons bought four cars from us. Don is a charismatic man and a very good driver, it's a pity he got involved in shady deals because I think he could have gone to the very top.

"It was a fairy tale time for us because we'd gone from the depths of despair to the heights of elation in just a few weeks. I remember supervising a torsion test on the prototype 81C just before it was delivered and discovering that the area around the gear shift was flexing too much. I authorized a mod which delayed the car 24 hours and Don was threatening to shoot me, literally, if I didn't release it, otherwise he would miss the last practice day. This would have been at the end of March, because Indy is closed throughout April. The car left Bicester on a Saturday night, after we'd worked around the clock for days on end, and once it had gone we all collapsed."

"Later I had a call from the States; it was Keith Leyton ringing from Indy. I was expecting another rollicking, but instead he said, "listen to this" and held out the phone and I could hear a car going around at high speed. "That's the 81C", he said. It was just 35 hours after it had left us, Bicester to Gatwick, Gatwick to Atlanta, Atlanta to Indy, and out on the track, and if that isn't a record of some sort I'd be very surprised."

The Whittington brothers were prominent in many forms of American racing and two of them, Don and Bill, had stood on the winner's rostrum with Klaus Ludwig at LeMans in 1979. They made their money by running a private airline which imported smokers' (non-tobacco) requisites into the USA from South America and their fleet consisted of ex-WW2 Mustangs, which they also used for pylon racing, but the business was run without official approval. When Uncle Sam found out he issued the brothers invitations to be his guests for lengthy periods.

william likes this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That is an incredibly polite way to say 'They smuggled drugs and went to jail for it' :D

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I liked the way that was put !

But it was only cannabis, no?

I think I heard it was legal now ...

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Apple didn't fall far from the tree
    His father was cozy with the top tier Nazis

Bas likes this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm sorry but having hookers dressing up as SS officers and others in concentration camp outfits, barking out orders in German about being the aryan race, whilst Mosley's family have been very closely aligned with Hitler goes a little bit further than ''innocent bottom flagellation''.

Terra and ingegnere like this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Well said.

18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree.

19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Apart from the few spelling errors, that’s pretty much what I also read about the circumstances around his ouster from McLaren.

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Cool story but that March is was more Newey than Mosley. Mosley was looking gone by then.

Isobel likes this.
  21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In my experience, people don't suddenly start doing morally bankrupt things once they've reached the top, they do them to get to the top and then keep doing them until it blows up on them. It taints what accomplishments he did have as I'm sure there are plenty more examples along the way of him stealing or screwing people over to get where he was. If he is the one that set up Mosley, well just another one to add to it. Hard to respect people with that kind of moral turpitude.

Mosley certainly wasn't a beloved figure, he was Bernie's guy and that was that.

Isobel and Edward 96GTS like this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    both ron and max seem to have left a trail of abusing people. cant imagine stiffing people after having them work for me.
    no one forgets that.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Are you sure that's exactly what happened ?
    In fact, as it was revealed in court, the event never took place as it was initially reported in the papers.
    There was a private meeting between Mosley and a few dominatrix where some SM practices took place.
    But the Nazi uniform theme was added to the story by the tabloid in an attempt to further smear Max Mosley. It never existed.
    Max Mosley hadn't broken any law but the tabloids had.

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    IIRC wasn't it Mosley who insisted that a chicane could not be added to the USGP with the Michelin FIAsco?

I don't care what he did in his personal life at night, nor what party affiliations he liked, but preventing the USGP from happening in an orderly fashion is inexcusable.

william likes this.