Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Only to be beaten to the WDC by his wholly unremarkable teammate, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Lewis is merely the fastest in a field of two. Most of the time.

Full credit goes to Team Mercedes. Lewis is every bit as overrated as Vettel proved to be. Vettel, however, at least had the self-awareness and balls to want to find out for sure.

stavura, fil, SimCity3 and 2 others like this.
  3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed.

See Charles Leclerc as the face of grace in difficult circumstances. He stressed that it was difficult to take personally but that he was particularly sad for the team, which needs the boost of some good results. He's an exemplary team player.

Bottas showed the pace issue was not intrinsic to the car. Hamilton world not have faced the issues he did in the pack in the race if he had performed personally on Saturday, yet he blames the team for a difficult weekend.

The problem is that when these character deficiencies are so obviously exposed, it becomes difficult to feel good for him in moments of triumph and it reinforces the thought that he needs more genuine humility instead of the faux thankfulness we get when everything goes perfectly to plan.

All the best,
    Andrew.

stavura, fil, SimCity3 and 9 others like this.
  4. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    A) Charles is not really in a Championship fight.
    B) His mistake was directly responsible for his ultimate DNS.

He handled things nicely but I'd say some contrition was indeed in order. ;) What else is he going to say realistically?

meh, so says you..

I think he's honest when he's frustrated and honest when he's happy and very quick to apologize to the team when he feels he's made a driving error (e.g Imola)

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I would be surprised if you could find me saying anything close to a remark like that.

6. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

2 days in a row of LH throwing his team under the bus. 1st during quali, where his teammate sure proved there was plenty of pace in the car. Clearly his own fault there. Yet he blamed the team.

Then during the race, he willingly goes along with the plan. Team tells him they're about to pit, he confirms. The moment Gasly comes out ahead he starts berating them, telling his team he was saving his tyres (if that's the case, why didn't he think to mention this? Why did he steer into the pit?) His in and outlap weren't amazing by any stretch. He again threw the team under the bus each time we heard the radio.

It's not the first time it happened, it happens every time when things aren't going his way (when he had an actual rival in Rosberg this would be quite often, where he even berated the team when Rosberg emerged too close behind him for comfort, he didn't even lose a place!).

I'm all for swearing in the heat of the moment (hell, all drivers and vast majority of people do this!), but rarely do you hear of other drivers throwing their team under the bus as often as Lewis does. And some could claim those drivers surely have more claim to question the team every now and then (imagine dealing with Ferrari strategists on a weekly basis?), yet very rarely do it.

Leclerc is a perfect example...we've heard him grunt ''argh'' in frustration so many times, or drop the F bomb...but it's almost never directed at the team. How he handled his problems from qualifying to the race is utterly fantastic. My respect for him grew even larger.

Lewis however...even after the race he was still fully blaming the team.

I think the vast majority that do not like Lewis typically don't like him for how he deals with losing. One can tell quite a lot more from someones character during tough moments than the opposite...

Nortonious, stavura, Hawkeye and 4 others like this.
  8. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Bruh, Leclerc is not in a championship battle, he has less reason to get heated. Drivers often take out their frustration in different ways when fighting for a championship. Past champions took other drivers out on track. There are tons of clips that shows Lewis thanking the team, in fact he thanks his team more than any other drivers, maybe they don't broadcast others drivers giving thanks as much, but It seems Hamilton does it more.
    I absolutely have no problem on Lewis response today, I don't understand why everybody wants to get so emotional about this. As I said before, I wish Hamilton could have said more, I don't think he said enough. He honors the team when they excel and gives them heat when they don't. This is the norm for many champions, Jordan, Brady, LeBron all have gave their team mates heat when they mess up, but when they hold up the championship trophy, you see ALL of them celebrating together, that's the way it is.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    +1000
    Contrary to what some people here think, the human aspect is primordial when it comes to appreciate one of the best driver in history.
    Hamilton causes rejection in many because its behaviour sounds fake.
    His attitude with his team in public is foul and a sign of spoiled child behaviour. His position as a lecturer is really horrendous with regard to these elements.
    No need to look further why many do not like it..

Ps : please FIA, stop the shirt and kneeling circus before every start, this is becoming ridiculous..

Nortonious, Jo Sta7, Hawkeye and 6 others like this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'm quite amazed at the length these threads about Hamilton might go. And everyone is always saying the same things over and over again. And no-one is changing his mind. Useless threads, if you ask me. Allow me just one single post in this one, then I shall remain silent.

I have not changed my mind about Hamilton, and after his outburst yesterday will certainly not change it in a foreseeable future.
    He is a great driver, no question about that; how great is another matter...despite what all his admirers want us to swallow; but no need to force-feed me: it doesn't work.
    I've written a few times already that I find the guy (from what I can deduce from what we see, that is "not much"...) quite likeable and I'm pretty sure that having a beer or two with him would be interesting.
    But my, oh my...he does lacks class, or education in good manners, or probably both.
    Throwing your team publicly under the bus for one spent race...and how many did he won thanks to their cars?

Sooooo...to answer this thread's title: does he "deserve more respect"?
    As a driver, frankly, I'm not sure: he has had superior machinery for so long, and was often protected from his team mate.
    As a sportsman: he has proved yesterday again that he lacks class, so: NO.

Rgds

furoni, stavura, Senna1994 and 7 others like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not so long ago, that same clique of detractors was attacking his fashion sense, before it was his high-pitched voice, or his hairstyle that irritated them.

It has been his dog, or his personal jet, his music sense, his group of friends, his car collection, whatever, they don't let go.

Even what he does with a celebrating bottle of champagne is open to question, I have seen.

Obviouslt they listen with great attention to his radio messages, analyse them, judge the content, the tone of voice and what else.

Yesterday, venting his frustration in a post-race interview, he was "throwing his team under the bus" apparently. (they love that expression for maximum effect)

There is always something they find to criticise Hamilton, something worthy for them to comment and denigrate..

It's becoming hilarious. It's like they take it personally, and feel aggravated by any off the cuff comments in the heat of the moment.

It always amazes me to what length some people will go to denigrate Hamilton, not saying he is perfect, but he doesn't deserve that scorn.

Hamilton must be one of the most successful individuals in motor racing. He has dominated F1 and is recognised as such by his peers.

During his time, he has delivered more in terms of wins, or pole positions, than anyone, surely the measure of a top driver.

But all the critics want to remember are some negative sound bites. The bias and lack of objectivity becomes tiresome; it's also is so obvious it is grotesque.

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Mansell's critics predominantly remember his "moany git" attitude.
    A person's content of character lingers long after their career has stopped.

Nortonious, Bas, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree,but I prefer to remember Mexico 1990.;)

SimCity3 likes this.
  14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just find it hilarious that Mr Hamilton lives in thier heads rent free! :D

15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #590 ktu, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    I think Hamilton should have threw them under the bus and rolled over them as well. Hamilton has been praising his team too much lately, they have gotten comfortable. Heck he should have gave them the finger when crossing the finish line lol. Fchat's whining about Lewis's whining is getting worse than ever. Maybe Lewis will bring the team flowers next race to make you guys happy again lol

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Majority of Brits who hate Schumacher did because after relentless attacks from British Press, Schumacher refused to speak to them for a number of years. He was definitely their villain

classic308 and SimCity3 like this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That accolade still resides with Michael Schumacher, especially the British audience :D

jpalmito and classic308 like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The Schumacher/Ferrari duo was considered illegitimate in establishing the new F1 benchmarks.
    This is why many tolerate the grotesque side of hamilton and the fact that Mercedes is German but located in England.

classic308 likes this.
  19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This. How someone acts in the face of adversity is the measure of their character. Lewis looked miserable all weekend-one would have thought he was driving a Haas instead of the fastest car on the grid. Yes, the MB is the fastest car on the grid albeit not with a big advantage as last year’s DAS car. He also has a very average teammate. True this circuit wasn’t a MB strength but stfu already and do damage control. It’s a long championship. The car had decent pace and Lewis sulked. Very unprofessional imho. MB made LH, not the other way around...

Nortonious, Picchu88, stavura and 6 others like this.
  20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

British engineering at it's finest - but dressed up in a Mercedes logo

:D

Nortonious and Bas like this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It didn't take the British press for me to dislike Schumacher; his antics on the track made up my mind.
    This has nothing to do with his nationality since there were several German drivers I liked.
    Watching Adelaine 1994 and Jerez 1997 told me all I needed to know about Scumacher.
    Maybe he gave the right soundbites towards his team, but on the track he was a "dirty" driver and my opinion will never deviate from that.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login LOOOOOL!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap , Crapilton owes everything he is to Mercedes, so he should bare that in mind, and in fact, contrary to what he says, i honestly believe the fact that he's black helped him a lot more than if he was white.
    He's talent was never in doubt, but we all know that Bernie, and car brands like to promote diversity, simply because it's good buisness since they can appeal to a vaster audience. he always had the best of the best at his disposal since he was a child, courtesy of mercedes, so even if they give him a crap car for a couple of years (wich was far from the case since we cab debate that the merc was possibly the fastest car around monaco, as Bottas a slower driver than Charles or max proved), he should praise them as much as he can. This weekend he ****ed up a lot more than the rest of the team.

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They no nothing john snow! ;)

Giallo 550 and Bas like this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you’re implying that ALO is the most overrated driver on the grid, you are incorrect.

The correct answer is:

RIC

Sorry, but we’re all out of lovely consolation prizes.
    :)

Hawkeye likes this.