2019 Portofino | FerrariChat

2019 Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by aprior, May 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aprior

aprior Rookie

May 23, 2021
    Drove my 2019 Portofino last night, drove fine. Went to drive it later in the evening and wouldn’t start. All the lights inside were coming on and sounded like it was clicking over to start. Anyone else have this issue before? I had to call roadside assistance but they can’t get till tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Do you drive it daily?
    Do you keep it on a charger?

paulchua likes this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    dead battery that wont take a charge

paulchua likes this.
  4. aprior

aprior Rookie

May 23, 2021
    I don’t drive it daily but have been driving it and when not driving I always keep it charging in my garage. I’m thinking it’s battery, the roadside assistance is picking up today to take to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Battery failure.

paulchua likes this.
  6. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Battery, very common, I have all my Ferrari on tenders - a Ferrari thing.

8. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Battery or alternator, driving at constant speed for an hour is like having a tender connected for a full day, you could have been driving on just the battery if the alternator or voltage regulator had quit working and depleted the battery enough that it didn't have enough charge to crank the engine, or the battery has cratered and wasn't taking a charge while you were driving.

9. Puggz

Puggz Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Patrick Oliver
    Are there parasitic loads?

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah, not sure why you would think by now Ferrari would have this resolved = but always have a tender.

:)

11. Puggz

Puggz Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Patrick Oliver
    Agreed.

12. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    All modern cars have parasitic loads, they are called computers, the ones that manage your engine, radio, alarm system, etc....... the only reason you don't notice them on your daily driver is because you drive it mostly every day and charge the battery, on older cars it was just the clock, which would also eventually discharge the battery.
    If you leave any modern car unused for a period of time (usually short) the battery will go dead, all the high end manufactures either supply or sell battery tenders for their cars.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^
    This!

When we first got my wife's 2018 Panamera we went away for one week, return and the battery is dead. Now I have to put it on a tender if we are away for a long weekend. :(

Although I have to say we have left my 2007 Lexus LS460 sitting for 3 weeks and it starts right up.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think it might have to do more with age and manufacturer. Our 2011 911S has been left parked for 2 weeks in the driveways with no tender. Starts up w/ no trouble, first time, every time. Try that with our California - also a 2011 - I wouldn't even try it on a dare!

Paul's Lexus IS close in age of our Honda Ridgeline (242 K miles). Last year, I left the Honda parked out back, under a tree, no battery tender, for 6 weeks in the Texas summer. Started up w/ no fuss. Anyone here dare try that with their F-car?!? :D

T

Nospinzone likes this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    By the way, Paul, is your wife's Panny a hybrid? Our Cayenne - also a 2018, non-hybrid - has never been on a tender, and we've gone multiple days - almost a week at the onset of the pandemic and lockdown - without driving it with no issues...T

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, it's the 3.0 liter V6 engine. Shortly after the battery went dead from one week of non-use the car went in for its first annual service. So this happened when the battery was not even a year old. I asked them to check for a parasitic drain. They said there was none and that this was normal (really?). They said I should keep it on a tender when not in use for an extended time. Of course they offered to sell us one (didn't ask the price), but like you I use the CTEK 7002.