Cautionary Tale: Always remove items before car shipment | FerrariChat

Cautionary Tale: Always remove items before car shipment

Discussion in '360/430' started by ketel, May 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gang,

Sorry in advance for the rant but...my new-to-me 360 Spider just arrived off the transporter and it's missing the tool kit and the leather pouch with all the books and manuals.

What chaps my hide is that after I purchased the vehicle from Classic Cars of Sarasota, a dealer in Florida, I specifically asked them to remove all those items, along with the service records, and send them to me separately. This was so I could avoid the common issue of these expensive items "mysteriously" disappearing in transit. They said they would.

Then, 10 days later, the vehicle arrives and the front boot is empty. The leather straps that would normally hold the tool kit and emergency spare tire bottle, hanging empty. When I called the dealer they said they knew nothing about it and only removed the service records, which they sent to a wrong address, btw...

Sadly, this is common. There is a black market of stolen or "questionably acquired" Ferrari tool kits and manuals on eBay for sale. They are asking thousands in some cases. While a few of the kits and manuals being sold online might be from Ferraris parted out, etc, I suspect most of these kits are ill-gotten.

I now have to front another $2k to get my manuals and tools back. Really sucks. If anyone has experienced this and had a better option than my paying the hostage-takers on eBay, let me know.

Buyer beware. I did my best. I asked specifically for the dealer to take care of this. I got screwed. Stay away from this dealer. I've had a terrible experience -- not just the stolen tools and manuals. Just pure theft and incompetence.

Rant over. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ketel

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Sorry to hear this. I’ll see if I have any spare manuals.

watch the classifieds and fleabay they pop up from time to time...

whatheheck likes this.
  3. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Thanks. 360 manuals and tools are pretty available if you want to pay $1k for each. That's the going rate on the black market of eBay. Trying to avoid this path. It feels like going to a pawn shop to buy back the items someone stole from my house and fenced. Ugh.

ketel

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you have any emails or writing that confirms their agreement to remove and ship the items separately, you should insist they get you replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JSP, one4torque, NMNMNMN and 2 others like this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @ketel I suggest you set aside the problem of the missing items and concentrate on getting the most out of your new ride. The manuals can all be downloaded for free and the tools are just for show. Just enjoy the car. Don't let someone else's mischief spoil the party.

honda corse and VAF84 like this.
  6. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    If they were “lost” during transport, would the items be covered by insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Congrats on new ride. Hope to see you at next stoogefest. Once a stooge always a stooge!

8. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Unfortunately, I made this request by phone and I'm not a lawyer. Legally, I am not sure I have much to stand on. I think it's probably he-said-she-said now.

ketel

9. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Thanks for that. I am adopting this perspective. This is not the car's fault. She's a lovely gal. Gated '03 Spider. Grigio Titanio/Blue. Factory Shields, Tubi exhaust, power Daytona seats. It's not her fault the dealer and prior owner were unethical, dishonest a-holes.

As much as the recovering New Yorker in me wants to send Paulie and Sal to "help them find their checkbook" the Californian in me is going to meditate, have a few margaritas, and let it go. $2k is not going to change my life that much. I have bigger fish to fry. It just ticks me off that my "christmas morning" experience of the 360 arriving after all this time was marred by this.

ketel

alex, VAF84 and BJK like this.
  10. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Decent point although with a $1k deductible I am not sure it's worth to put in a claim.

ketel

11. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Absolutely. A summer is not complete without hanging with the 348/355 Brotherhood, tossing back a few cold ones, and telling lies about women and cars. Looking forward to the next one. I will promise to bug YelCab to come too.

ketel

fatbillybob likes this.
  12. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

If you have Hagerty it’s not. And I no longer have Hagerty.

Seems like if you have an email, that is a legal notice. Dealer owes you the parts, period. And 2k is in the realm of small claims. Anything more significant use John Draneas from SCM magazine.

Sorry this happened, best going forward.

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nmnm has a point.

I bought a 2$k guitar over the internet many years ago— I got the ifcc local da police involved — after a visit by a detective my guitar appeared. The key was having my paper trail, and having the time to make phone calls and being a stubborn fin.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    You have to be tenacious these days. Too often it seems the attitude is "oh yeah, what are you going to do about it?" is the position by almost everyone who wants the $$ but couldn't give a flip about the customer.

As One4torque stated, go after them. And go after the transport company. Ask who the driver was and if you can talk with him. Make everyone's life miserable until you get answers/results. Document everything you say, hear, and see.
    I learned a long time ago that a "paper trail" is your best friend. I've gotten what I was owed many times simply by showing that I had the proof that it was part of or all of the deal and they were either going to deal with me or out of principle I would pay my attorney to get what I was told I would get. Not always fiscally advantageous, but I'm one who puts "fighting the good fight" and principle above all else.

Good luck and fight like hell. This kind of crap goes on because too many times we just shrug our shoulders. And that my friend has never solved anything and more importantly it feeds the belief by these kinds of unscrupulous sorts can keep doing it with impunity.

VAF84, BJK and Need4Spd like this.
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also shipper might be in possession... just testing if you ask.

16. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Looks like you may have bought the car sight unseen. Was there any photos showing it on their website or sent to you by email? Maybe one showing the frunk and what was in it? That maybe enough to show that you didn’t receive what they advertised.

17. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I did not buy the vehicle sight unseen. I actually flew from CA to FL to drive the 360 myself and get a detailed PPI. I saw the books and the tools at that time. They are also in photos on the dealer's site. The guy that PPI'd the car also saw them and noted them on his PPI sheet.

The dealer is, naturally, blaming everyone else. The PPI guy stole them, or the shipper stole them, or whatever other BS he can sling.

ketel

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Make sure you leave a well worded terrible rating review on their website. When I was shopping for my car I found a dealer close to me but his reviews were terrible so I never even contacted him. We have some power in these situations. File the case in small claims court. You may even be able to file it in CA making it a bigger PIA for them to deal with it.

19. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I bet some 18 year old trainee at the dealer put them in a box per your instructions and then went on break or got a text from a girl and forgot about it. Or put it in the mail with "the client" written on the shipping label.

I think most reputable shipping companies are not going to mess with your stuff, but if you're going to take it out I would do it yourself.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #20 Shark01, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Hmmm.....I guess I'm surprised that tool kits from fairly recent mass-produced exotic cars would be so much. I guess the best option at the time was for you to have taken them home. Sorry for your hassle.

21. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    All fair points but when I left FL to return to CA after driving and inspecting the 360 I was not buying the vehicle. I made an offer. The owner told me to pound sand. He then called me a day or two later and lowered his price a bit to something more palatable and I hit the bid then. Otherwise, yes, I would have pulled all the tools, books and service records and took them on the plane with me. Oh well.

ketel

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've learned the best places will document everything with photos. So I car is completely photographed at time of loading, and at time of unloading.
    All bases covered

23. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I always get written into contract includes 2 keys, floormats, tools and book
    Cause people are sneaky unfortunately

And even after getting it written in, sometimes it still goes missing

f355spider likes this.
  24. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I missed out on the Ferrari CTEK battery tender. It showed it in the pics but when I went to the dealer to pick up the car, it was “no where to be found”.

25. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If the dealer says they were sent with the car they should file a claim with the transporter and make you whole. Don't let them get away with it. At the least file a claim with the transporter yourself and have the dealer help you.

f355spider likes this.