Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ascend, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    ANY car is liquid if it is priced well. Just a couple of days ago, a really well priced Ford GT (46k miles, $235k ask) gets posted, I see it and reach out to a buddy of mine who was looking, and he puts a contract on the car......so it was about 2-3 hours from the time it was posted until an agreement was reached (pending PPI).

Thecadster and DIGMAN52 like this.
  2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #52 Art138, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Was that the solid White no stripe car? I was amazed at how clean the under belly looked for that mileage. Having had a BBi Boxer and Scud; currently with a Pista,I would go for the FGT. In the 11 years I have had it never been to the dealer except for the airbag recall. I have had many other cars but the FGT is the keeper.

Shark01 likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, Camilo Pardo’s personal car. Most of his miles were long distance I think.

Funny, my backup cars when I bought my FGT were the Boxer and Scuderia.....truthfully, if I could have afforded the purchase price plus maintenance needed for a $200k Boxer (poor guy with budget limitations) I would have bought a Boxer.

My FGT needs more maintenance than most (driver grade car.....I’m about $10k in with other stuff needed) but that is reasonable for what I paid.

4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    250 GTE?
    If not, why not?
    Fantastic car, fun to drive, lots of room and drop-dead GORGEOUS!!!
    Find one that is well sorted out and and you can enjoy it for years with minimal expense.

tantumaude likes this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The Porsche is just an average looking car and is a dime a dozen. Not special at all.

The 360CS is nice but it’s hard to find a good example.

The SLS is an extremely underwhelming car, recommend you watch the top gear review. Your desire for it will go down.

The 458 Speciale would be my choice. The 458 is a beautiful car, the most pure of the modern Ferrari mid engine super cars, has the best sound of any car on your list, and the driving experience is an event every time you hit the accelerator.

I went through the same deliberations and settled on the 458 Italia, couldn’t justify the added cost f or the Speciale, but the 458 is an amazing car regardless of variant.

I recommend finding any version of the 458 to test drive, and your decision will be made very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plastique999 likes this.
  6. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I agree. Porsche is a solid car but doesnt feel special... flame suit on but thats how I felt since highschool.

How bad is sls? I thought it is a great car to get attention, whether or not thats a good thing. I did have a chance to test drive it. Felt special (mostly due to the door and growling v8) but drove like a grand tourer (as it is)

7. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #57 Ascend, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Disclaimer - I am not a rich guy like ferrari owners making mid 7 figure+ income nor come from the money but just worked really hard having wet dreams about driving my dream cars from high school (04-06). Of course, my dream cars were Enzo, MC12 and CGT. Enzo and MC12 way out of my league. CGT was my dream car and thanks to covid, sub 10k cars shoot past 1 mil. I understand it is financially stupid decision but I feel like I need to achieve my dream.

I am looking at some cars. Something cool and not lose too much value.

1. F12 tdf - sexy but i think value might drop now that 812 special version is out or maybe not.

2. Senna - ugly at first but the look grew on me. Lots of inventories. Maybe price will go down for a while? Main problem with mclaren is that the brand is new and they dont have followers like ferrari or porsche. And make too many limited edition cars and cannibalize itself.

3. New FGT - very good looking and i believe prices will go down due to 2 year restriction getting lifted on more and more cars. However v6 really bothers me. Made in huge quantity (relatively) of 1250

4. Bite the bullet and just get CGT. Huge stretch on my budget.

What do you guys recommend? Also, would you wait a year or two before buying these cars? Or get them ASAP? Really need advice from experienced guys here. I am just a car guy ever since high school and worked pretty hard always thinking about these cars but seems like they get away further from me :(

8. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Work your way up, no sense in spending that much on your first, especially if you don't make 7 figures.

If you like 04-06 era, get a Stradale and enjoy it without stretching your budget. Plenty of examples under $200k, limited run, and along with the Enzo and CGT, one of the first to have ccb's. No brainer there.

paulchua, IloveGT, jag-oo-r and 6 others like this.
  9. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Agree with rampante550. You could also think about a 458 speciale. Great car, very special, last N/A V8 and will most probably keep it's value.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ChadR and Ryan S. like this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great advice above.
    My suggestion - 599 GTO
    T

Jpacione and LARRYH like this.
  11. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Get a pista or speciale aperta

12. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Get the car you want, and get it now before inflation goes thru the roof. I did the same earlier this year and very happy I did.

13. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I should have done that last year. Now it seems too late anyways. Should I give it a year or so? I was a chicken and couldnt pull the trigger due to covid

14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you perceive current prices as related to inflation, AND you are anticipating inflation improving in the next year or so, then wait.......

Kevin

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Lamborghini Countach as the more desired F40 is $1M PLUS.

ChadR likes this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im sure you can find CGTs for less than 1m. You dont need to buy a low miles one.

17. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Personally I would go with the Enzo it’s a street legal F1! I mean I would also go with the superamerica. Don’t see to many of those out there and you get that back to the root Ferrari front engine v12!

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    550 Barchetta

tazz99, ewright, LARRYH and 6 others like this.
  19. 85MondialQV

85MondialQV Karting

Feb 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Matt Drake
    BB512

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Lots of good suggestions here already. To which I'll add:

Instead of CGT: 997 GT3 RS 4.0 or GT2 RS

You could get a 430 Scuderia or even a 16M and a 997 GT3 RS 3.8 for much less than a million, and they would hold their value fine. 16M is more fun than a CGT!

Or a 430 Scud + Huracan Spider RWD + GT3 RS 3.8

Or a gated 430 + gated 575 FHP (disclosure, that's the combo I have) + 458 Spider

Lots of combos!

ChadR likes this.
  21. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    On my list would be, at all price points:

430 Scud or Speciale
    1st gen Ford GT
    CGT, but that ship may have sailed $?
    Legit 73 RS
    Last year Aston V12 Vantage dogleg manual

So many nice cars out there!

ChadR likes this.
  22. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Get it now, and get the car you are most emotionally attached to.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  23. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    i got 997.2 RS for now. I just cant spend 600k for 4.0 which is basically a little better version of it. Price is 600k only bc its limited to 600 cars and i know value will tank if I use it as a driver.

what do you guys think about Senna? Will it lose value because mclaren will churn out next greatest hypercar?

24. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    CGT ship must have sailed. Drivers now go for 1M. First gen Ford GT as well and theres just too many of that car.

458 speciale is really nice. Id love to own one in red with nart stripe.

25. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I would buy the CGT
    It is a very extreme car and you need to get used to the clutch. Forget driving it in traffic, it will drive you mad, but the car is really special, much more than the 918. The engine is a masterpiece and I don’t think you need to aim for a very low mileage car. The real value is in cars that have been driven a bit. Two or three points to watch:
    1. Maintenance is expensive. This is not normal Ferrari servicing cost
    2. Ground clearance is zero. RUF make a fantastic lift system that doesn’t affect the geometry of the suspension, but it is 20 grand. Worth putting it on, otherwise you will hit the ground every day
    3. The car is very nervous on the limit. Very exciting but very sharp

Of the rest:
    1. I love the TDF. It is a classic, but I think prices may suffer a bit with 1000 812 Competizione hitting the market.
    2. The new Ford GT is awesome, but they have made 1350 and prices are about to head south. If you want a FGT or a TDF I would wait a bit
    3. The Senna is great to drive, but it is hard to sell. Very ugly car, nothing special about the engine, incredible on track

It is a pity you left it a little late as 1-2 years ago you could buy a well-driven F40 for 1m which beats everything on this list. As the cars get older and start getting rebuilt mileage is less important and nothing matches the excitement of driving one.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Wikdstrate and JackCongo like this.