$500K+ Restomod 308M | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$500K+ Restomod 308M

Discussion in '308/328' started by FerrariFR33458, Nov 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Honestly I’m more impressed than I thought I would be, but I’m still not sure about the price tag. I think it’s really well done, and it even has its own luggage and jacket but I can’t really imagine their target market here. One of the FCA guys from Austin said he’s a 308 guy and he’s gonna get one, which was surprising because I figured most 308 guys wouldn’t be interested.

It’s just under 2700lbs and the more powerful drivetrain is supposedly 400hp and 350nm torque. I like those numbers a lot but without traction and stability control it will probably be a handful!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm sorry..the thing is just awful. It looks like a JDM project gone horribly wrong. Who ever would pay 500k for that seriously needs thier head examined.

jimangle, ShineKen, JLF and 4 others like this.
  3. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Amen.

4. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Ok, I kinda sorta like the rear quarters flared, but I don’t quite understand those blue lines in the bumpers, if you can call them bumpers?

As for the quarter flares, I just realized why I like them so much, they remind me of the 288 GTO.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    That is ugly! The blue lines look like the painters tape left behind after polishing...

Du_Man likes this.
  6. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Full of clichéd tuner mods. Meh...

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The Mototechnique cars are very well executed with upgraded brakes and suspension plus a significantly more powerful engine and superbly finished - cannot see what is not to like with these cars the Maggiore less convinced about as some of the body mods are terrible,

JCR likes this.
  8. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Maggiore has updated suspension, brakes, wheels, etc and 400hp in a carbon bodied car is quite powerful, so comparing these two mechanically is kinda splitting hairs but I agree the maggiore design is less appealing. It’s also cheaper tho. I want to see it without the Rosso Dino type color and blue stripe, maybe black with a red stripe

9. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  10. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Wow. That’s awful.

smg2 and 19633500GT like this.
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    How to take one of my favorite cars ever, and complete hack it up.

But yes, yes, I'm sure the "but to each their own, dude" quip will pop up soon...:rolleyes:

To which I say, just because you can, doesn't mean to should...

smg2 and ginoBBi512 like this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would really love to see the underside of this car. Are there any pictures of the actual build and how much of a restoration this car recived?

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #38 ginoBBi512, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Overpriced, just like all the other Ferraris on and off this site for sale, I cant believe the greed in this world. As far as this car is concerned, Im not sure what to say, other than, maybe Ferrari rest o mods are an insult to Ferrari , with that being said, the only Ferrari I can think of that would be a candidate for a resto mod, is the 360. This car is nice looking I guess , but its not a Ferrari. I have to say, I wonder if Ferrari started building another 3x8 , but with a modern Pinon Farina design, 400 HP, manual box, vintage style analog gauges, something that says here is what the 308 / 328 would look like if it was conceived in this era. American Car companies have been doing this forever. I dont mean the F8 Tributo, 488 GTB, Im talking about a 2022 3x8/ (308 / 328 ) , keep it 3.2 Liters, with 400 HP, no power steering, no electronic aids other than ABS . Maybe if Ferrari made a car similar to this resto mod , we all might like what we see .Oh , and keep it at 150-175 K new

Thank you

14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    In my experience, all the 308 needs is more power. the looks are great as is. Don’t paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa. BTW on a euro 308 remove the heavy muffler and antiquated fuel injection, add an aluminum radiator and you are nearing the 2700lb mark.

15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Is that a Grant steering wheel? o_O

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm not a fan. My perfect 3X8 restomod would be a 328 exterior with a 308 interior and a 355 drivetrain.

cheesypeas and Cirorsi like this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm in the minority, I love it. I think the cost is pretty insane, but the product looks great. The 308 look is so hard to beat. if Ferrari came out with their own version it would be a world beater.

JV's89 and Booker like this.
  18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    So much of this “ masterpiece“ I really don’t like. If I had the money (which I don’t) would just ship my little 308 to Newman and say “have at it”. Guaranteed masterpiece with speed, reliability and won’t come back looking like “pimp my ride” (guessing) $300,000 left over. :)

19. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    It looks like it’s trying to hard. Nothing subtle or understated about it. Ok, a 308 is not exactly understated but it is a ‘pure’ design. This shows absolutely no thought to that. What a car crash; lacking any style!

20. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Fugly, and what’s the deal with dirty looking floor?

21. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    WHERE CAN I GET THAT SHIFTER KNOB ! Its gorgeous ,

Thank you

22. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’d take that $550k and use it for a down payment on a 288.

JLF and JCR like this.
  23. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Another vote for “like” here. Not arguing that it’s any prettier than the original, but I don’t need it to be; there are plenty of stock 308s in the world to stare at; I don’t mind a little variety in my life.
    It’s like comparing The Kinks’ version of “You Really Got Me” with Van Halen’s version; they’re profoundly different, but both profoundly good rock-n-roll....and that’s ok.
    Also don’t understand why some think spending $500k - $600k here is so crazy. Is it any crazier than spending $1.5MM on a restomod Lightweight E-Type, or $2MM on “new” AM DB4 GT. The 308M was obviously designed and built to a pretty high standard and all that goodness don’t come cheap.
    And for those with the means, who’ve owned and driven everything else under the sun, who are looking for that extra degree of exclusivity, why not? Don’t think of it as representing one of the least-expensive Ferraris, think of it as an homage to one of the most beautiful, well-proportioned automotive sculptures ever created.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    did just Boardwalk show this? any other dealers involved?

25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    I like the blue painters tape on the bumpers. I do that to all my cars to prevent scratches when I back up into the garage door.

My only concern is that the exhaust tips are proud of the bumper -- should I put painters tape on them as well?