Carlos Reutemann in intensive care, condition said to be worsening | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carlos Reutemann in intensive care, condition said to be worsening

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Didn't know that. Started watching in 79 but didn't pay attention to him/Mario. Was focused on Jones at Williams.

Not surprised he beat Villeneuve.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Villeneuve was very green in F1 when they were teammates, it took him a season or so to find his legs.
    The Lotus 80 was a disaster. Lotus had to revert to the Type 79 by which time the other teams had caught on about ground effects.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    He was green indeed, but do you know that he changed his birth year to look two years younger than he actually was, because he felt already too old for Formula One? (He claimed to be born in 1952, whereas his actual birth year was 1950, just like his team-mate Jody Scheckter).
    For those who remember: one of the highlights of the 1979 season were the Long Beach qualifications, where Gilles needed all his talent to beat his former team-mate Reutemann, who was now at Lotus; Gilles said that "what Carlos did today was unbelievable".
    Those were the days; no social networks, no frills, no nothing; just plain racing...

Rgds

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely, a great era. F1 is a shadow of the sport it once was.

Isobel, greg328, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    2 years ago!

Niki was just getting started when I became aware of F1 and started to follow. I miss his way of cutting through the crap.

greg328 likes this.
  6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And no good way of following the sport in the USA. I remember even in the early nineties having to look up the F1 GP results on Monday morning somewhere buried in the small print section of the newspaper.

And from a racing perspective: those were the years when drivers perished at a regular rate of one per year

Let's not get too romantic about "the good old days".

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There were 11 F1 driver fatalities in the 1970s, the last was Ronnie at Monza in 1978. There were 4 in the 1980s, 2 of them in testing accidents. In the 1990s only Roland Ratzenberger and Senna on the same weekend.
    All drivers knew and accepted the risk.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    At least the racing was exciting !! But it did come at a steep cost..........perhaps something in the middle would be worthy.......

9. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Quick count from Wiki list, 40 driver deaths from 1953 to 1978.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    IF that info was even in the newspaper! Mine typically only listed the name of the winner (unless someone else got killed) and even that didn't always happen. I began subscribing to Road & Track in 1968 just so that I could read Rob Walker's F1 race reports three months later! So I never complain about today's comparatively in-depth T.V. coverage, and that includes the announcers. I dislike it when anyone criticizes the F1 announcers, even if it may be warranted, because I remember the alternative: nothing!

greg328 and tifosi12 like this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh, I'm well aware of the fatalities; decade by decade, it diminished; perhaps the eighities had the best balance between racing and danger (?).
    But what I miss the most from the '70s was the variety of engines: V8s, V12s, "Flat12", the first Turbos, etc...it was also an era when a team could reverse its luck quite fast, I mean, going from the doldrums to the top in one season or two ( Lotus from 1975 to 1977, for instance...Ferrari from 1973 to 1974).
    Nothing like a Mercedes steamroller for eight years in a row...

As for TV coverage, well: that is Bernie's legacy.
    In France, until the mid '70s, each year we had the Monaco G.P and the French G.P at most; living very close to the German border, I had the german TV also, so the German and Austrian G.P as a bonus. It started to take off here in 1976, if my memory serves me well, but slowly. Those Grand Prix a continent abroad took time to be aired regularly. TV coverage was quite extensive in the middle of the eighties.

Rgds

jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Add to that all the guys whose career ended because of severely broken bones. Surer, Regazzoni, Laffite to name a few. There were more.

Accidents like the ones Kubica or Grosjean had would have easily ended in fatalities.

greg328 likes this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very good point. I have been complaining about Varsha on here, but you're right. We shouldn't be complaining at all as long as we live in the US.

I remember Senna's accident (I suppose ESPN must have carried that race) and didn't think much of it. Called my friend in Europe the next day and asked how Senna is doing in the hospital. My friend was shocked and told me that Senna died. Then the shock was on me. As they ended the broadcast I had no idea of the gravity of the situation. Then I saw the images of all the blood in the newspaper.

Indeed we have come a long way. With the internet as well as with US TV broadcast of F1.

PS: Would be nice if some US TV channel would finally embrace the Eurovision Song Contest. At least it's on streaming. :)

jpalmito likes this.
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For me the biggest loss of F1 is the restriction on development and the very defined bodywork. I loved the variety of cars and chassis in the late seventies and early eighties. When a Ligier looked vastly different from a Renault or a Ferrari. And when Colin Chapman came up with the double chassis on the Lotus or Brabham with the vacuum cleaner. That is all gone and as you say a team in bad shape could come back and didn't have to wait seven years until the rules unfreeze.

As for TV coverage I was spoiled growing up in Switzerland: We had Swiss, German and Austrian TV covering pretty much every race on the planet. I spent nights watching the US and Canadian GPs. Was quite a culture shock for me to come to the US where we had 100 TV channels and none carrying F1. :(

greg328 likes this.
  15. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    This is another Monaco pic I took of Carlos. This one is from the 1979 race when he drove for Lotus. Obviously I don't know squat about photography (and got lucky with my prior 1980 pic). Carlos finished 3rd. Back then Championship points were only awarded to the top 6 finishers, and in the 1979 race every driver who crossed the finish line received a point. Only 6 drivers finished the race. 14 DNFd. Jochen Mass in an Arrows finished 6th, 7 laps behind. He could have stopped the car at the reviewing stand, jumped out and had a beer or two with Prince Rainier and Princess Grace, jumped back in the car, crossed the finish line and still scored a point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I loved the '79 Lotuses as they brought back British Racing Green for one final time. But I think you're wrong about Mass; I believe that cars had to complete 90% of the race distance to score points, so I don't think he could have stopped for a drink!

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    You’re both right: 7 laps behind = 90.7%
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There you have it. Mass completed 69 laps and got 6th, but Jabouille completed 68 laps and was Unclassified; even if he had been 6th on the track he would have earned no points.

ingegnere likes this.
  19. Where were you guys?
    C&D and R&T were my subscriptions from I don't remember when. Then, a slotcar racing friend turned me on to "Competition Press and Autoweek" (a weekly tabloid for years 'til it went magazine format) in '68. Bathtub reading (cover to cover) the Wed. or Thurs. (when it usually arrived) following that weekend's racing.
    'Discovered "On Track" (biweekly mag.) a decade later.
    I miss 'em to this day.
    The real racing back then.....the innovation.....the suspense (built to the hilt/who'll make it and who'll blow...).....never to be seen again. 'Gotta keep those sponsors happy with "race"(tsk-tsk) long "billboard" parades doncha' know..... :(

Isobel and tritone like this.
  20. Did some research in a bunch of books I have and find no mention of having to complete 90% of the leaders laps. Just had to be in the top 6 period.
    Only percentage I know of is the present qually within 7% and that can be over-ridden anyway......(again, gots to keep those sponsors happy... ;))

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You forget the most important (and most stupid, IMHO) points rule of 1979...
    Like so many times in Formula One, some genius devised a rule supposed to enhance the suspense, and which came out as flawed, because he didn't forsee the one situation that turned out to be the most interesting, and that happened precisely, but that his system actually made impossible.

So: that 1979 season was divided in two "half-season" (eight races each, or something like that) for which (if my memory serves me well...) each driver was only allowed to retain his four best results. SUPPOSEDLY, it would push the drivers to fight for the best results...

However, the best car of 1979, the Williams FW07, only came out perfectly tuned-up in the second half of the season...Alan Jones would have had a chance to fight for the title and push his late charge to be a maximum threat, had he been allowed to retain all his results of the second "half-season" (like the previous year).
    As the system was devised, Jones could only retain his four best results (four wins, which he achieved indeed) but whatever additional points he might have collected in that second-half season, he would have to drop these, so whatever he might have acheived, he would not have been in a position to challenge Scheckter, who had collected good results in both the first and second "half-seasons".

Therefore, the "half results of each half season" system heavily penalised a car that came out perfectly tuned only late, in the second half of the season, which was exactly the case with the Williams FW07, and heavily favorised reliability over the complete season, which was the case of the Ferrari 312T4.
    A late "banzaï" charge towards the title was impossible: Jones would have been robbed of his efforts.

That abberation was quitely dropped for the following season...

Rgds

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, the first auto racing magazine I subscribed to was simply called "Auto Racing". It was published on horrible paper (like newsprint) but had decent race reports. I added "R&T" later because it had more and better photos. When "Auto Racing" folded around 1971 they transferred my subscription to "Autoweek" but I still kept "R&T" because of the better photography and other features. (Eventually I saw the 308 GTB in "R&T", which is why I own a 328 today!) I later added "Formula" magazine, which was eventually renamed "Racecar". I eventually dropped "Autoweek" after F1 races began appearing live on TV because I didn't have time to read a weekly. I subscribed to "Racer" from the start, and still am a subscriber.

23. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I figured the results chart you posted might have been copied from the 1979 Monaco Wiki page as it's in Wiki format. I just took a look and discovered to my surprise that one of my other crappy photos was used by Wiki for that race. I had no idea it was there. Thanx. And I also noted that the crazy 1979 Championship formula cited by Nerofer, which I had totally forgotten, was mentioned (albeit somewhat as a footnote) as well. It certainly was a crazy season!

ingegnere likes this.
  24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, wiki—too easy.

Cool (I hope) about your pic being used. Any idea how it got there?

25. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    The only thing I can think of is I was asked by an Australian motorsports writer who was in the process of writing a book to send him some of the F1 photos that I mentioned I had taken. I sent about a dozen. He must have posted it, as I had never sent them to anyone else, and Wiki requires provenance. Obviously I don't have a clue about photography. I just had great access at races.

ingegnere likes this.