355 + 360 Owners - Does your car get a check engine light when you ship it somewhere? | FerrariChat

355 + 360 Owners - Does your car get a check engine light when you ship it somewhere?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rob Chiang, May 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Does your 355 or 360 get a check engine light when you ship it somewhere?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2021.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  3. Sometimes

20.0%
  1. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    For all you 355 and 360 owners out there, when you ship your cars somewhere does a check engine light come on upon arrival?
    So I bought a car from Marshall Goldman. My 360 Spider arrived with a check engine light and I was instructed by Arthur Knight to keep driving it until it went away. His reasoning was the change in sea levels caused the warning light to appear. Driving the car around didn't magically make the solid check engine light go away. The car battery also didn't die during shipping.

Elevation of Cleveland is 653 feet. My house elevation is 6 feet. That's an elevation change of -647 feet.
    If this is normal for 355 and 360's, what are the usual trouble codes?

Does your trouble code clear itself? If Yes, how many driving miles of normal driving does it take?

I couldn't find any post on this topic so if there is already one please redirect me. Thanks for reading and responding to this post. Really appreciate it.

FYI my check engine light was 2 cylinders misfiring and needed mechanical work done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I just shipped my 360 from Cleveland to Seattle, no issues with CEL. Also 2 years ago, it was shipped from L.A. to Cleveland with no CEL. I dont think this is normal...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Thanks for your reply. That's good to know it shouldn't be normal. If we can get ten more owners to reply the same that would be confirmed.

4. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Yes, a car in a truck NOT RUNNING magically detects altitude change & triggers a CEL. Did he also sell you some unicorn feathers?????

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Pull the code with a reader. Shouldn't happen.

Rob Chiang and Shark01 like this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a CEL when I first started up my car after shipping it from upstate (high altitude) NY to TN (low altitude). There was a hurricane passing through the area when I left NY too, which made the barometer extra low. The CEL went away on its own after about 10 minutes of driving. Never came back. I didn't have a code reader at the time so wasn't able to capture what happened. Haven't had another since and it's been about two years.

If you're getting the brake pedal switch code, I suggest you replace the brake pedal switch. It's inexpensive and can cause all sorts of cascading failures if you don't replace it.

7. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Changes in altitude would cause some fuel/ air mixture problems. There might be a code set if there was a change until the the computer re-learned the new requirements. But I am taking about going from say LA to Denver. A 600 foot altitude change would have no effect. the air density change is negligible. If that was the case every time you drove the car up a hill it would log a CEL.

8. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I would say the salesman's answer was code for , go away and quite bothering me.

ShineKen and kes7u like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Further to this, you can erase the code and see if it comes back in the next 50-75 miles.....

vrsurgeon and Rob Chiang like this.
  10. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    The only time the car would have run would be loading unloading in the shippers trailer about 7 times to change positions in the trailer. Otherwise yes I drank the unicorn Kool aid. Yummy.

11. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Interesting. Thanks

12. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Indeed time has proven your statement CORRECT.