360 - A/C Control(Temp) Switch | FerrariChat

360 A/C Control(Temp) Switch

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalGerBrit, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Hope an A/C guru can help with wonky A/C. Suspect that the temp control switch is bad as A/C no longer responds to setting the A/C temperature and only blows cold if set to "66" or "Lo". The air direction switch works properly as does the fan speed switch. Checked the system with gauges and pressures are as they should be. When the control/temp switch is set to 66 or Lo the clutch engages, fans go on to high, and the air gets cold quickly. Dash temp drops to 38º at vents on 85ºF ambient temp so all seems proper except the controls switch. But, maybe one or more of the temp switches is bad?
    Not a problem so far to control the temp with fan speed but would like to fix it. Where I live, a fully functioning A/C is a must. SD-2 would find the fault but none near me.
    Anyone have or had this problem?

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It could be the ECU.. mine was bad when I bought my car. Does the temp indicator (second button on the left iirc) give the accurate temp outside? If its funky it could be a bad ECU. Alternatively, it could also be the cabin temp sensor that has gone bad. BTDT! :)

Qavion likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Can you get a resistance reading from the temp control switch, i am assuming it is a circular switch which adjusts the temp. If you can get the wires disconnected, then connect a multi meter on ohms setting. Turn the switch full circle and see if you get a steady change in the reading. Unsteady jumps in reading should not happen. Can you get access to spray contact cleaner into the internals of the switch. Some of these switches have a wound coil of wire which the adjustment pick up on, if dirty they stop working- just depends on what type it is

one4torque likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Finding the right combination of 8 pins might prove challenging. However, looking at the wiring diagrams for the F360, the first 3 pins seem to be the same as the F355:

1) earth
    2) background lighting power in
    3) 12 volts key power in

If the pattern continues, here are some of the other pin assignments on the F355. They all go to the HVAC ECU (as they do on the 360).
    4) unknown
    5) temperature setting (voltage out, ranging from 4.9 to 0.042 volts)
    6) STOP
    7) unknown
    8) Recirc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you want to get a voltage out on pin 5, put 12 volts power on pin 3 and an earth on pin 1.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the spare parts diagram, it looks like the temp switch comes with others in a complete housing- this multi pin diagram must be the wiring to the complete unit. It is just going to be trial and error to find the 2 that connect to the temp switch and see if its resistance changes with adjustment. The fact that temp adj is 4.9 to 0.042 backs up my idea that it is a variable resistor device. Pull the cable out and see if u can pick up a variable ohm reading on a pair of connectors. A new unit is mega money

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Or get your hands on a known working control knob unit and plug it in.

I have a spare but I’m in Houston.

Swap w another 360 buddy?

Option 2- I just had my control knob unit out due to knobs falling apart. The control boards are super fiddley. You might be able to see a plug or wire loose upon visual inspection. Have a look.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No doubt, but note that the F355 panel has a bucketload of resistors and tiny detents on the rotary switches which may mean a non-infinitely variable resistive system. i.e. a stepped temperature control system.

I would try checking the resistance between pin 1 and 5 as a start. If no reading, perhaps try a combination of the 5 wires going to the ECU

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The 360 panel is a rotary switch with multiple resistors. As above.. it’s stepped.

Qavion likes this.
  9. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    My tree rattling worked and thanks for all the A/C guru responses. Now I have a path to follow.
    The outside temp indicator is good so that part of ECU is OK. Time to fire up the Power Probe to see if the bug can be found. Hopefully, it is just a temp sensor but a lot of fingers are pointing at the temp selector switch since the A/C works at full blast cold but nothing other than that. Changing a motor or trans mount would be more fun, or at least more predictable, than messing with electrical gremlins.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #10 Qavion, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    You just have to guess which one. There are 5 temp sensors, including the outside temp sensor.

If you need a wiring diagram, let me know. Spider or coupe?

Check to see if the interior temp sensor suction fan is working on the lower dash. You may be able to hear it running. If not, use 1 ply of tissue/toilet paper against the inlet to see if there is any suction. If the fan is not running, the sensor just cooks in its own juices rather than sensing interior air.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(EDIT: Wire colours shown above are on the car side of the plug, not the sensor side of the plug. The HVAC ECU is most-likely supplying the sensor with 5 volts on the pink wire).

11. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Yes, a wiring diagram would be a very, very, big help. Thanks for offering. I will check the int temp sensor next. Makes sense that if the interior temp sensor is not working the temp control will get no signal.

12. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's one for the Coupe.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/cudUQLQsNx1Gow0y

If you preview it, then hit the print button once or twice, it will convert the image to a pdf file (if you have problems viewing gif files).

Don't let its size intimidate you. Start in the middle and look for the pale blue components. If you have problems figuring out how to check the sensors, I can always break up the image into smaller components.

Note that there are also two treated air sensors as well as the cabin air sensor and "sun radiation" sensor.

14. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Got it. Fantastic. Will be a big help.

Where did you get that schematic? I have the shop manual but that is not the same for tracing wiring. Having a full set of schematics sure would make life much easier. Would you happen to have one for the shock "Sport" mode? Mine has been out ever since I pulled the dash to re-stretch pulled leather. Pulled the center console at the same time to find a mouse and surely missed a connection.

You boys down under sure know some stuff. Used Risso308's billet vents for the dash repair.

One of my sons worked in Noosa for a couple of years. He did not want to come back to the US.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, I made them myself using the shop manual wiring information. Here's the one for the suspension

https://www.dropbox.com/t/igP0QngPuPqX8PNa

Some of them are a work in progress. e.g. I'm not sure of the internals of the brake pedal switch (for the double contact version). I thought both contacts would be normally open (until you pushed on the pedal), but the diagrams for the F430 show a double contact switch which has a normally open switch and a normally closed switch. The F430 switch has a different part number, however.

The shop manual is still useful as it shows you where the plugs are and where the harnesses run.

16. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Qavion. That is amazing. Reverse engineering the wiring schematic. Let me guess. Aviation electrical engineer?

Thanks to your guidance, I fixed my A/C problem. First, I pulled the A/C panel and then the cabin temp sensor cover and right away noticed a "cap" of lent on the little bulb sensor and lent down in the tiny fan blades. Used a small paintbrush to loosen up the lint and blew it out with compressed air. The fan blades sounded like a mini-helicopter when buzzed with air. Then moved over to check the wiring behind the A/C panel and the cabin air sensor to temp control panel connection was not seated fully. Plugged it in and A/C is now working perfectly again. Using Qavion's schematic and matching that with the wiring diagrams made it all make sense.

Why did this happen? I think I know why. About a year ago I pulled the dash to restretch puckering leather. The "Sport" mode never worked after that. Dug into left side switch panel and way down deep in-dash I saw another plug. Yep, I had plugged in the dead rear fog light plug into the "Sport" mode switch. So, my guess is that my dumb ass mechanic(me) made another mistake and did not fully seat the temp sensor connector when reinstalling the dash and it eventually popped loose.

Thank all of you for the advice. I rattled the A/C guru tree and all sorts of good stuff fell out. You guys know some stuff for sure.

Qavion and one4torque like this.
  17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice happy ending wo pulling out the wallet!

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yep, I love a happy ending... especially a cheap one.

I may have to check my cabin temp sensor for dust. By the way, are the sensor fan blades audible on the F360 when the fan is running?

Good guess :D (avionics maintenance engineer in a past life). Boeing 747's have a similar cabin air temperature sensor which also uses a suction fan. I've even found one blowing in the wrong direction. The fan was mounted upside down.

19. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The tiny fan makes no noise at all and runs continuously when the ignition is on even when A/C system is off. What other system in the car would rely on cabin air temp other than HVAC?

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The power setup is probably just for simplicity. On the F360, heating is still available with the A/C off, so perhaps some of the automatics are still available which use the sensors?

e.g. The manual says that if the outside air temperature is cold on startup, the fan air will be directed towards the windshield rather than blowing it in the driver's face. When the heater warms the air to 35 degC, as sensed by the Treated Air Temperature Sensors (not the Cabin Air Temperature Sensor), the air is distributed as desired. I don't know if this system is active on the F360 with the STOP button selected. I can't test this on my F355 because the STOP button closes the hot water valve.

21. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I have a feeling that if you think that that is the reason for the fan running then that is the reason for the fan running.

Qavion likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I won't let that go to my head (much) :D

As I was saying recently, the wiring diagrams do tell me how things are hooked up, they don't tell me what's going on inside the computers (or in the minds of the designers).