The Clean | FerrariChat

The Clean

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bracketz, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So listen, not to speak too much on anyone's behalf, but I'm fairly certain when I say that all of us that have this illness realize the irrationality in the obsession. But it doesn't matter. We're compelled in spite of that to clean anyway and get as close to an "as new" reset as possible.
    Maybe we're striving for a level of perfection we wish we had. Maybe it goes back a long way as we literally and figuratively polish away the past. I'm sure there's a diagnosis. But it also doesn't matter.
    For me, I know it started early. At about 6 y/o I remember washing and applying paste wax (because I'd seen dad do it) to the near entirety of his Austin Healey. Including the tires. Because why not? When you're 6 everything must need polished, right?
    Years later on I would find myself cleaning my own vehicle as a means to peace in a storm. I would even clean other people's cars I worried didn't have the clarity to do it themselves. It felt like a good service. The least I could do.
    But now that the storms are quiet and life has seen fit to grant me as the caretaker of a lifelong dream, I find it only fitting to give her the clean I perceive she needs. And then the protection for the journey I know we'll take.
    Because after all, life will throw some stones at you. Shields up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out, poljav, ralfabco and 7 others like this.
  2. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Very nice!

bracketz likes this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #Fresh
    #LevelUp

bracketz likes this.
  4. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Never seen those numbers on the bodywork, why is that? Spots that need special polishing? Why different numbers?
    Nice end result by the way...

5. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I was assuming those were paint thicknesses ..... but those would be big numbers for that....hmmmmm

bracketz likes this.
  6. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes those are paint meter readings. It's important to verify that no paintwork was done but in these cars it's largely academic because they are hand sprayed. And the numbers as you see vary wildly on the same panel and on every panel. In truth for these cars it's almost as if the wild inconsistency verifies it's original counter to conventional wisdom. Since this has been discussed and debated extensively I thought it would be fun to demonstrate on a one owner no hit car.

Ferrari55whoa and Robbe like this.
  7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Excellent work!

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very interesting and thoughtful text about cleaning. I sometimes disappear to the garage to "detail" my 575 or another of my cars. Over the years my children have helped me, sometimes out of duty, sometimes indulgence. I don't have the same obsession about keeping anything else so clean, don't get me wrong, my house is clean and my office is tidy, but a year has passed since I organised that pile of books in the study and yet I have detailed my cars on numerous Sundays in that year. Even when the cars are pretty darned clean. I do it again.

Do I clean the windows of the house when they get a bit dusty? No, we can get the window cleaner to do that. But the cars..that's me..and your post made me wonder, why

very nice car btw.

9. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the compliment and the thoughtful reply. It's truly interesting to me as well. I'm also not nearly as compulsive about windows or books. But these cars. Well. There's just something about them. When they are right somehow everything is better. Go figure. Safe travels all.

10. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I've always envied people so good at perfecting the looks of their cars.
    I'm more an engineer, I'd go to great length to get the perfect bearing tolerances, polish and set camshafts, lap the synchromesh rings or shim the hypoid gears in the differential until blueing shows a perfect pattern. But while it works perfectly, it's hard for me to let it look good. It's the part of the job that I subcontract.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'm the same. I appreciate a well detailed car, but I always feel the time I want to drive the car least is when I've just washed it, and I hate the thought of anything that makes me want to use the car less.

12. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not surprisingly, I've always envied you guys for having the knowledge and spending the time to get the mechanical details right that I subcontract. I have enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous but I am far from trusting myself to do anything significant. Even worse, this leaves a nagging feeling that maybe things weren't done that I can't see and have no way of checking. Trust becomes a major deal. At least anybody can see a really good detail job.
    On the flip side, as soon as the car is fully detailed I can't wait to drive it. And do it all over again.
    So interesting how we all look at these machines.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Believe me, if I could do any of this competently, I would. But not even close. So, I clean..I'm not even very good at cleaning, no better than the next man and certainly couldn't do a pro polish, wax, clay bar, ceramic coat, etc. But at least it's harder to break anything when you're cleaning.