1993 348ts aftermarket alarm problem | FerrariChat

1993 348ts aftermarket alarm problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Redsteed, Apr 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Hello to the 348 community. Best of health to all. I was hoping to receive some input and advice on the problem I'm experiencing with my car alarm. It is a European market car with a Gemel alarm which was installed in Europe that for some reason is going off intermittently. It is not reacting to the two button key fob at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So the two things happened at the same time (intermittent alarm and no response from the fob)?

Fob problems are usually fob batteries or loose/dirty battery contacts. Intermittent activation is usually a faulty door or luggage compartment lid (etc) microswitch. But if the problem happened at the same time, then you may have a faulty alarm ECU or alarm ECU power supply problem.

Does the alarm handbook tell you what parts of the car are attached to it? (doors, interior lights, engine lid, luggage compartment lid... ) Does the alarm system have it's own siren or is it just wired into the car's horn?

3. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Thanks for your reply. I've tried searching online but a little overwhelmed. I bought the car in December 2020. It mostly sat on a trickle charger over the winter. Car was left unlocked but the alarm automatically activates to disable ignition. I was able to open doors and front, rear lids without the alarm going off. To start the car, it is necessary to press the left button on the fob and hear a certain beep to enable the ignition. Once I shut off the car, the alarm automatically starts the process again to disable ignition. Pressing the same button locks the doors and I believe arms the doors. Just out of the blue, although I hadn't armed the car or locked the doors, the alarm just started on its own to go off without anyone near it while parked in the garage. I tried with the fob to deactivate, to no avail. Now I've resorted to the battery disconnect as my battery is inside the front wheel well. It seems as the fob cannot direct the alarm or the alarm is not responding to the fob inputs. The manual is written in German as where the car originated.

4. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    My apologies, I should add that the fob has a red flashing light when buttons depressed and the light appears strong and bright. The alarm light in the car is situated centre on console ahead of the ashtray. It was usually always lit once I shut off the car along with a beep until recently faulting and now has no light on yet sounds off intermittently for quick bursts and or long periods however it wants.

5. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Also, the alarm has its own siren. Alarm went off first as I said with nobody around for hours and car unlocked. At which point I tried using the fob to disengage but it wouldn't react. Waited until the sign stopped and then turned off the battery disconnect

6. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Correction. Waited until the siren stopped, and then turned off the battery disconnect

7. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Mine has three after market alarms, nightmare! I am just going to have them removed. Check the siren batteries as they will go off when they stop charging or are faulty. I had to disconnect mine.

8. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Does anyone know where the general alarm unit would typically be installed on a 348. It sounds like the siren is located somewhere in the front boot passenger side

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've heard that the OEM F355 alarm disable requires you to push and hold for a period to stop the alarm. Did you push the fob repeatedly or push and hold?

So the fob battery should be ok. I don't know if it takes more power to illuminate the light as it does to transmit a signal. Have you tried new batteries?

The F355 system shows a steady red light on the dash if the batteries are failing in the siren. Perhaps a flat siren battery on your system doesn't illuminate the light at all. The siren still works because it is hooked up to the car's battery. I'm assuming your siren has a built in battery. I guess you don't know when that battery has been changed. There are a few message threads on the forum about siren batteries leaking and destroying the circuit board. However, it may be best to find someone who is familiar with your system before pulling your car to pieces.

If the manual is printed on paper in German, if you have a smart phone with Google Translate, you can photograph the pages of the manual and import the photos to Google Translate. It will scan the photo and translate for you.

10. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    I haven't tried changing the fob battery, and I thought it weird the alarm siren doesn't sound once I turn off the battery disconnect yet on a few occasions it kept sounding when I turned the battery disconnect to off while the siren was on. It also makes many different alarm noises and chirps when I've left it alone after a series of alarm activities. Seems like its lost its mind, which is happening to me now. Thanks for the advice on the translation as well. See what I come up with and report back. Thanks qavion and allandwf

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    1) unless your insurance requires it, I’d get rid of the alarm. I’ve taken them out of both my cars; all they do is cause trouble and make your neighbours say “shut that f***ing alarm up”!
    2) siren is probably located in one of the wells in front wheels; likely in front of the battery.
    3) lots of places to hide the alarm control box, but most likely is in the centre consol by the gear stick; there is a main wiring loom there to splice into. Also tucked up under the dash as somewhere else, or behind the fuse panel in the foot well as the general earths are there.

I found taking the alarms and immobilisers out a bit daunting at first, but you soon figure out what is oem wiring and what’s not. I also started the car after every wire cut...just to make sure!

Good luck.

Ferrarium likes this.
  12. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Thank you a348w. Waiting for a reply from the dealership since I've only had it since December, and would appreciate their service department address it first. But I'll check on those areas you've mentioned.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its worth remembering that many of those alarms were put in by audio shops back in the day, bare wire twists and electrical tape were the norm. Over time they just develop shorts, grounds, intermittent issues etc. Can't say specifically in your case but generally speaking that is quite true. Best of luck and congrats on the car!

14. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    They are usually found tucked in beside the hydraulic unit, in the front lhs as mine is, or sometimes behind the front lhs fog light .

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yup, I can relate to all that. Shocking quality!

16. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    To all, thank you very much for the insights, recommendations, and well wishes. Great bunch of knowledgeable enthusiasts here

Qavion likes this.
  17. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    Just a follow up. Had the car at the shop, Euro Spek, part of World Fine Cars here in Toronto. Great people here and David at Euro Spek spent some time and finally just disconnected the alarm and success at last. No more siren. Thanks again to all for the recommendations and well wishes. Got my awesome ride back.

A348W and Qavion like this.