2005 F-430 a/c blower issue | FerrariChat

2005 F-430 a/c blower issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bill ochrane, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    My a/c blower stops intermittingly. Works fine, on all settings, then it just stops blowing. Anywhere from 1 to 10 + minutes, it will start blowing again? I suspected a relay but the only relay I see in the owner's manual is on the driver's side, PSR1 - A/C Compressor. I removed that relay and the blower still runs, so the blower must not be tied to that relay? When it stops I try pushing the stop button in and out, turn dials and no blower. What am I missing?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Could be bad news, Bill... i.e. a failing fan motor. There has been a discussion on this on the F355 forum in the last few days (which has a similar setup).

Unfortunately, there is no relay for the blower fan on the F430. The fan motor is controlled by the ECU via a fan speed regulator. The fan speed regulator and blower motor fuse are bolted to the side of the evaporator. The fuse and holder may be showing signs of stress.
    The regulator and fuse are shown in the diagram below. i.e. on the passenger footwell side of the aircon unit. These components are generally difficult to get to. There's a smaller fuse there for the ECU.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There is a "maxi" fuse upstream of the fan fuse. i.e. maxi fuse #3 (according to some manuals). This is next to the battery in the passenger footwell. Make sure this is ok.

I'm not overly familiar with the setup on the F430, but Ferrari blower motors tend to be not an item you can replace. The entire evaporator unit has to be changed on other cars. Experts?

(EDIT: the fan regulator is powered by a fuse behind the left hand seat, but this powers a number of airconditioning devices (sensors, control panel, hot water pump, etc). i.e. PSF13. Check your Owners Handbook for the location).

I have a wiring diagram for the Scuderia which may be similar to the standard model (regarding aircon), but it's a work in progress (there are lots of errors in the original Ferrari diagrams).

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's the location of the fan regulator fuse behind the driver's seat (but as I said, it's unlikely to be the problem).

And here is the maxi fuse location. Check for signs of heat stress and security.

Confirm the location of the "+30 AC" fuse with your own handbook.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking at the parts manual, there appears to be a cover over the fuses on the side of the evaporator unit (Item 12, inappropriately labelled "evaporator battery cover"). Perhaps the 430 components are easier to get to than the older Ferraris (some good news perhaps?).

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you can see the fan motor, have a look to see if it has a capacitor fitted, looks like a alloy tube with a pair of wires. Some motors use them to help them start. If that is on its way out it might explain your problem. You may or may not have one

8. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Thanks for the info. It is probably the regulator but I'm going to take it to Euro Werk in Houston. They have worked on my car before and have been fair and honest.

9. Baurice

Baurice Rookie

Sep 18, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Bill
    I know this thread is just a bit old, but, s I’m experiencing a very similar problem, I’d thought I’d ask. What was the outcome / solution of this problem for you?
    Many thanks in advance
    Andrew
    NZ