First older Ferrari. Fix it or get used to it? | FerrariChat

First older Ferrari. Fix it or get used to it?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jimmy3993, May 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    Hey all. I picked up a 1983 308 gti last week. Given that it is almost 40, it is in pretty good shape.
    Question about interior though. I am tempted to replace / redo the leather on the seats. And in be curious obout cleaning up some of the interior metal bits which have aged and discolored.
    Is there a reason not to do this? I ask bc I also collect watches and there are parts on older watches that you simply do not replace bc it ruins the value. Don’t want to do anything stupid.
    Also, if there is a good reference book out there for the care and feeding of a 308, pls point me in the right direction. thx!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rdefabri likes this.
  2. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I guess the switches could be replated or maybe find some replacements if severely worn. I would not try to fit something not original.

The leather should be refurbished and fixed. It is at least a good idea to clean it and give it some fresh leather cream to prevent cracking.

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I had the leather on my seats replaced after a dye job that I was very unhappy with. They look factory - you wouldn't know they weren't if I didn't tell you.

l always like to clean up stuff that doesn't look nice. I mean - patina is one thing, but "looks clean" is another.

Not sure on the Injected cars on what to look out for. One of the universal things is - keep all your rubber goods in good shape (hoses). Also - check your bushings around the front end - they get neglected and make a difference.

They are not fast, but I love the looks and sounds out of mine.

Have fun and welcome!

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Collectable watches are worth preserving as "investments." 3x8s are not. Do whatever YOU want to do to make the care enjoyable for you.

Re watches - I once owned a Rolex Submariner "red label." At the time that meant nothing to me and I sold it for about what I paid for it and was pleased to get that - around 700 bucks - it was just a used watch. Now they sell for 20K plus. My 328 would currently sell for less then its original price in dollars, ignoring inflation. If you factored in inflation, it would have to sell for around 140k to "break even." The rolex would have to sell for around 2500 USD to break even. Since it brings around 10X that, it would have been a decent investment.

So...buy old watches, not old 3x8s! :)

syata likes this.
  5. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    Yea I didn’t want to inadvertently put on a “service dial”.
    Good advice.

Rosey likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats !
    With rhe older cars I’d say it’s all about preservation : seats, sticky, mechanical aspect. Don’t try to make them be what they are not and u I’ll
    Enjoy them a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The 308 and most cars -- even the million dollar '50s and '60s Ferraris -- don't usually attract a premium for being ratty. There are a few "survivors" which collect a premium but there needs to be a documented story why they are ratty (e.g. Gilles Villeneuve was the bad boy who ripped the interior). The most valuable 308s, aside from "zero" miles museum pieces, are the ones in perfect concours condition.

rdefabri, Saabguy and Rosey like this.
  8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Go ahead and fix, repair, replace whatever is needed. Just be mindful of the dreaded project creep. Once you replace the leather seats, the center console will look in need of replacement, then the door cards and the carpet and the console switches and so on…………..

alex likes this.
  9. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    4right I can see that coming around the corner! I had that thought about the seats. Once they look right then the console will need a redo. The the steering wheel. The dash looks good. The bug leather flap that covers the targa needs work.
    But what about exhaust? I enjoy driving a slow car fast but wish the 308 sounded more like a modern Ferrari.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends on definition of ratty. 50's and 60's Ferraris that are all original are very attractive in the market place even in pretty tattered condition. Originality is becoming far more prized. Right now a very famous one off Ferrari is being done by a well known restorer. The delaminating glass is being reused as is the entire original interior. Do not forget Manny De La Rossas Barchetta. This was it after a full mechanical restoration. To the greatest extent possible the patina of the mechanicals was preserved too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pero, Rosey, MFlanagan and 2 others like this.
  11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The first thing I would have to do with that car, is swap the tail lights/indicators over - Indicators on the outside/tail lights next to the licence plate, as it left the factory ;)

Not sure why (possibly automotive OCD! ), but the rear lights being reversed just bugs the life out of me!

Kidasters likes this.
  12. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

What exhaust do you currently have? There are plenty of options, I personally have an ANSA and think that it produces a great Ferrari sound!

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    " I enjoy driving a slow car fast but wish the 308 sounded more like a modern Ferrari."

But it's not a modern Ferrari and by current standards, you will be driving a slow car slow - pretty much any current SUV will embarrass it. Today an Escalade ran off and left my 328... :( Yes, if the road/traffic allowed us to reach 130+ MPH, I would have overtaken her. But it didn't so she's probably bragging to her friends that she smoked a Ferrari! :(

Jimmy3993 likes this.
  14. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have to admit that I don’t get a lot of people trying to race. Most are going slower than me because they want a good view of the 308.

Du_Man, 308 milano and Kidasters like this.
  15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You won't hurt the value on that car if you renew some items here and there.

Believe me.

16. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    It is stock currently. I’ll check out ANSA thx

17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If it’s stock, then is most likely an ANSA. There is a Sport version that sounds more aggressive!

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Get the mechanicals up to snuff and working as they should..especially the fuel system, you might be surprised how this old QV will wake up.

19. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Had a guy drive up next to me in a new 5.0L mustang and rev like he wanted to race. I just laughed.

Yeah - a Camry can take my 308 - but no-one drools at the sound of a Camry driving by.

4right likes this.
  20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I don't have that strength of character I'll race anybody off a stop light, traffic permitting. It's a character flaw that even after all these years I have still not overcome. :(

But, of course, you are right. I drive the car very regularly and every time I am out at a gas station, supermarket, hardware store, wherever, somebody (or several somebodies) will stop/talk or take pictures of the car. One guy in a PU truck drove by as I was loading groceries into the passenger side yesterday and hollered, "HEY MAN, COOLEST CAR IN THE WORLD!!!" They don't do that with a new Corvette! :)

4right, Kidasters and 308 milano like this.
  21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would say that the seats need to be redone - try to keep the original leather - strip and recolor. the piping needs to be done. at that time the door cards and center console will then stick out so need to re-color those as well. new leather that can work too but seems very $$ way to go. the switches in 308/s are getting pricy and difficult to source - so restoration is the way to go. if you want to maintain value - Classiche is the way to go, and document the preservation. I'm in the minority that think 308's will appreciate... especially since I don't have one any more.... GTB's much faster but I think they will be $100K cars soon....

dinoart likes this.
  22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I have an '83. 100K on the odo. The driver seat had a large crack down the center of the back which pushed me to look into replacing the leather. I looked at several shops. I looked at GAH(?) skins too.
    I had it done at Bradan (a sponsor in the tri-state)
    and couldn't have been happier. As I understood it, his aunt stitched the seats together. (He now has another source as he couldn't yell at a family member to "get it done" :) ) He warned me the leather ages differently and I"d be unhappy with just a seat or two done. He was right. I saw the old leather
    compared to the new. While he was in there, he replaced the door leather, center console & carpets. The head rests have the embossed stallion.
    The only trivial issue is the replacement zipper used at the hand brake. it is plastic with a large handle. yep, trivial.
    I do need new banana vents. And the dash has what looks like staple impressions so it should get replaced. My switches have been fine, including the warnings about the light stalk.
    I do have the birdman fuses as the original boxes (I have) were melting from the gas pump current flow.
    She hasn't had a complete repaint, but has had large chunks done over the years. Recently, the lower doors were developing bubbles so Bradan did some work on them as well as rusting lower fender wells and runner metal.
    I was concerned about originality, but it was let her go or get her put back in shape and enjoy her.
    Sure, she always has things that should be done. A leaking quarter side window just revealed itself yesterday during a wash (lots of pollen around here this time of year)

Just yesterday the gas station attendant (we still have them in NJ) was floored it was a manual. And then his jaw dropped when he found out she looked incredible as an '83.
    Fix her. enjoy her.

308 milano likes this.
  23. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If you redo the seats, my advice is to make sure that you maintain a factory looking horse imprint in the headrest. That is an instant "seats redone" giveaway.

308 milano likes this.
  24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    You ought to take a look on You Tube, for number27vids, Jacks 308 Influenzo, He bought an old carbed 308 site on seen except for the pics from the auction. You will be amazed at how he brought this car back to life. There are 30 videos so far, I have watched all of them, and they are fantastic.

Thank you

Grendizer and 308 milano like this.
  25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The influenzo project is interesting, and he is a nice guy.....but I would be running for the hills if my car had that many issues.

ginoBBi512 likes this.