The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the rear was dictated by the need to carry a set of golf clubs. so it can be a daily driver.
    maybe the zo6 can be more track focused w a “short tail”?
    is anybody a fan of the ferrari f50? front is plain and that bat mobile wing is ungainly(boy racerish) and not nearly as nice as the f50 gt wing.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #77 FerrariCognoscenti, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Chevrolet has been very public about the fact that their engineers used the Ferrari 458 as a “benchmark” (read: copy) in development of the C8. Creating a near identical sound is no coincidence. Very unoriginal.

The C8 is like a Chinese copy of a Patek Philippe. It still tells time the same way, sometimes even more accurately than the real thing, but it’s still a knockoff. The C8 is uninspiring in that it entirely lacks its own DNA and is, for all intents and purposes, just a copy of a 458.

Hard pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

The way I see it, the 458 is one of Ferrari’s greats. Even today this ten year old car is considered by many to be better than the Ferrari’s that have come after it, as well as the last of an era. Ferrari has exited the market of NA V8’s. Chevy is merely filling a void with a lot of demand, by creating something that can take its place, along with modern amenities that we all agree make mid engine sports cars easier to live with. I see nothing wrong with this.

Regardless, isn’t imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    LOL! Drive both. You won’t feel that way.

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’ve driven the C8 at a track day at Summit Point. It was at best, unmemorable. But the build quality is atrocious, it is covered in cheap plastic and nylon wherever you look in the cockpit, and it is wholly unrefined in every possibly way. The leather was equivalent quality to that of Pakistani leather jackets found on the sale rack at Burlington Coat Factory. When you get on the throttle, it goes. But it has no soul and does not put a smile on my face like a Ferrari.

The only reason, and I mean only reason, that i could conceive one would ever choose a C8 over a 458, 488, or F8 comes down to one thing: money. If money was no object and everyone could drive a Ferrari, the C8 would never sell.

SVR and xfrgtr like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    3k miles in my C8 over 10k in 458’s. Pure nonsense. First of all. They aren’t by any means either or propositions. They don’t “compete” to me. The C8 is a cool sports car with good tech at reasonable price point that looks bad ass. The 458 is an all time great with a beautiful engine and styling and god awful tech. Easy to justify both for different reasons. If I could just have one I’d probably take C8 just because it’s so much easier to live with.

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    In other news, water is wet. Obviously money IS a relevant factor and that is why the Corvette has a cult following. I absolutely love the C8 for what it is: a 8/10ths supercar for 1/4 the money. That said, the Z06 will no doubt be even more competitive relative to Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren etc.

Bundy, brookliner7, Coincid and 7 others like this.
  8. JLL

JLL Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Norcal
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Yes..the designer I spoke with designed the rear..he appeared to be under 30yrs old...fwiw..

I believe many of them are young based on a design show I watched some time ago....I was interested in getting my son to go to design school in Pasadena..

rossodino and VAF84 like this.
  9. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I think the NA Z06 will be the C8 variant to have.
    Turbo ZR-1's and Zora's not withstanding.

VAF84 likes this.
  10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is just hard for some people to believe that someone would choose a C8 over a Ferrari. Or that the “only reason” would be cost. Sound like a bunch of jr high snob wannabes.

I have a very close friend who chooses Corvettes and especially the C8 over Ferraris. He can easily afford whichever he wants. Variety is there for the choosing. Don’t be so silly! :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jm2 likes this.
  11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Holy MOLY the 765 is an immense experience.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Tell me more...mine finally arrived in state.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I feel like many here have waxed poetic about the car but I’ll just throw in a few observations after 50 miles of driving.

1. Its breathtakingly quick. There’s a slight hint of lag but only just and it’s relative. If you floor it from a higher RPM the pull until boost feels like a 458 and then wham. But it’s done very well. And from 3k RPM onward, easily the quickest thing I’ve ever drove. There’s an onramp by my house, allegedly I hit 155 mph by the end of onramp. My 458 max was allegedly ~125 mph. That’s a massive difference. My fiancé had to lay down after I took her for a drive.

2. Brakes are strong but typical Mclaren. First inch doesn’t do anything. Much better calibrated than 720S I drove though which sometimes felt like it legit wasn’t stopping.

3. Steering feel and precision are a REVELATION. I feel more information coming through the steering wheel than any car I’ve experienced. And only in a good way.

4. Grip is naturally mega. I took a corner yesterday at 70 mph and it felt tame. In other cars 50 mph feels near the limit. I think this is a car you can push and push and likely it’s limit will always exceed yours. Under acceleration the cars spins its wheels but the T/C is pretty magical. In milliseconds the tires hook back up. I did a quick pull from about 5-110 mph yesterday and it couldn’t have taken more than 5 seconds. Feels like teleporting.

5. Ride comfort in the softest setting is pretty damn good. More feedback comes through the steering wheel than the booty and back. I’m 6’3 205 pounds and I fit really well in the standard buckets. I think they’re more comfortable than the Ferrari bucket seats.

6. People stare at the car in awe like they’re seeing a UFO. But somehow bugs seem to like the car more. After 3 drives in one evening totaling about 60 miles my car was covered. Luckily the ceramic coating makes it easier to get them off. The car will be a b*itch to keep clean. The aero bits are doing their job but dirt and debris makes their way into them. After a brief drive you’ll see dust and dirt in most of the hard to reach areas.

7. Finally sound. Pretty GOOD! Decent pops and bangs but not synthetic like a Lambo. More spontaneous. Generally it’s pretty loud. Doesn’t quiet down unless cruising at low RPM but even then it’s not normal car quiet. The engine note isn’t musical but it sounds mean and angry and monstrous. To my ear I liked the sound quality on acceleration as much as the Pista but it’s louder. And it’s much louder off acceleration. The Pista valves close and the car shuts up too quick. The 765 will pop or give you a random fun blowoff sound.

Coincid, ScrappyB, mkraft3003 and 6 others like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you! Pics?
    I despised the Pista sound so much I sold the car instantly, and knew going in the 765 wouldn’t be much better, but at least the Mc has the top tier performance.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bundy, Coincid, ScrappyB and 3 others like this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I loved that review. I never tire of people waxing poetically about their new car. I’m really happy for you. I know the wait was hard, but you are being nicely rewarded now. And congrats for getting up to 155mph (allegedly). Sadly, not much room for that kind of adventure in my area.

Coincid and Jo Sta7 like this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nor in mine, however luckily the 765 doesn't require much space to get there!

Thecadster likes this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    True enough!! It doesn’t require much space, but it does require some space....lol.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Coincid, ScrappyB and jm2 like this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    VAF84 and Thecadster like this.
  22. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    which Ferrari currently being produced are they trying to copy again?

VAF84, stevdug and Jo Sta7 like this.
  23. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast

They’re not trying, Chevy readily admitted that the 458 was “inspiration” for their engineers.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    pnd4pnd, Coincid, ScrappyB and 6 others like this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT