Optima battery in F430? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Optima battery in F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheMayor, Jan 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    When I bought my 2007 Spider a few months ago, the dealer replaced the original battery with an Interstate and said that is all they use now. I have Odysseys on my boat and have beaten the hell out of them and they are great although expensive. They weigh much less than wet batteries, in my case the Odyssey weighs 46 pounds instead of 150 for the wet cell and the boat takes four. Not that it matters but the Odyssey can be mounted anyway you like, even sideways or upside down. Their ad shows them mounted sideways in a rack on an M1 Abrams tank.

2. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Resurecting this old thread, as I haven't found a more recent one on battery choice.

Is Optima 34R still the best way to go for a battery replacement ?

Went through an Interstate one, and that was the shortest life of a battery I think I've ever experienced.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Interstate or Odyssey are great choices. You can go more exotic like an anti-gravity but you will spend a lot more and unless you are stripping the car for track use there isn't much gain.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    NO. Optima redtop 34R are known to leak through the top vents. I have had two do so. Others have posted similar occurrences.
    Interstate AGM Group 48 appears to have good reports here. (some Group 34R are too tall to fit comfortably)

5. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I had an Odyssey Performance 48-720, lasted 3 years. Just switched to Antigravity Lithium

6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I was just gonna look into that antigravity battery. Over half the weight and better than a agm battery. They are very pricey.

7. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #32 Snapshift, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    I just installed the Interstate MTX48/H6 AGM in the 430 replacing a sealed wet lead/acid Interstate battery after 5 years. Charged it up to 13.8 v with CTEK before installation and since it is AGM no vent necessary. It was about 1/2 in wider (dammit) than the one replaced so I had to lengthen/ replace with longer the hold down J- hook bolts, cutting them to appropriate length. I had to remove the battery tray to get the hooks out, then put it back in the tunnel under the bar. I put a strap around the battery it to make its removal easier should that ever become necessary, Since the hold down bar didn't fit exactly as before it became a chore (PITA) to complete the job with insertion and removal several times of the battery to get everything lined up etc.

Of note, the battery I bought thinking it was made in the USA was in fact labelled Made in China. Time will tell about the quality. It has a 3 year free replacement warranty. It cranks the engine so fast I could probably drive it on battery power in gear if need be. I hope this is the last battery I will ever need during my ownership of the car. I tried to get the Odyssey, but it was unavailable in my area without a long wait.FWIW.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtx-48/h6

70AH 950 CA 760CCA

Pransingh Horse likes this.
  8. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Was considering Antigravity too, but was wondering if they are worth the price.

Do they last considerably longer ? Changing it is a real pain.

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Keep in mind you will need a new battery tender with an antigravity battery. Just another added cost. Though they do weigh almost nothing compared to lead acid batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

Do you have an Antigravity in your 430 ? Would be interested in hearing how long you've had it and your experience with it.

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I didn’t go with the antigravity because I didn’t want to be the first to use try to use the built in charge port with their charger. No one could answer if I could use an adapter with the factory port on my 2009 430. I didn’t like the idea of having a cable hang out the battery compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Which charge port are you referring to ?

and Which battery did you end up going with ?

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  14. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

Wow, thanks @Qavion. I learned something new. Will have to check on my car to see if I have that.

Was this standard on all F430s ? or only on scuds ? The glovebox looks like a scud in the pic, but I wonder if other F430's had that scud setup too

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know Jay Leno swears by Optimas but I tried them and to be honest, an Interstate Mega tron lasts longer with less hassle. Excellent batteries.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Both versions are shown. The first image is a standard F430. I doubt the standard one has the connection under the dash.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- The battery charger you have imaged is a Zivan that was only optional up to about MY 2007 before being replaced by a standard CTEK around Summer/Fall 2007. The connectors are different.

In my opinion, Optimas suck and I would not let one near any of my cars. Ferrari had all kinds of warranty issues with them when they were standard equipment.

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  18. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have a 2007 F430 F1 and the connector is under the dash, just like the Scud picture above. Maybe it changed when they went to the CTek charger?

Qavion likes this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, guys. The F430 standard manual I have must be for an older car.

20. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #45 Snapshift, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Aside from the different charging parameters , and special charger required for a lithium Anti Gravity battery, I seriously doubt that in a 3200 Lb car you would notice the weight difference at all in the handling of the car. Not worth the hassle or price IMHO.

I personally like the charging plug behind the driver's seat for its convenience in connecting the battery tender. Any other position makes it a hassle to connect the charger, and one may overlook it if one has to open the frunk and brake fluid compartment every time to connect a charger.

f355spider likes this.
  21. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    They did switch over with the CTek charger which is what I was referring to. I find it very easy and convenient to use, I just reach over and plug it in. The newest Ferrari's are even easier with a magnetic connector on the rear bumper area.

I did go with an Optima Red, because that is what I took out of the car and I didn't want to mess with bracket modifications. The Optima is very heavy and just for ease, a lithium battery would be better to not have to muscle in place.

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It all depends on your garage set up. For me the passenger side under dash connection works great, because my car is parked on the right side of my garage with convenient electrical outlets on that side for the wall mounted battery tender I have set up. I can't forget to disconnect with the starter interrupt built in.

Snapshift likes this.
  23. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Anyone have the specs on the longer bolts that are needed to accomodate the Optima 34R, and where to buy them ?

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would advise against Optima Red Top 34R. They can leak. One leaked in my car for the previous owner...they installed another Optima red top and it leaked on me a few years later.
    Here is my post:Optima red top 34R battery NOT recommended | FerrariChat
    Note a Ferrari technician posted a picture of a clients leaking Optima red top 34R...he does not recommend them either.

Get a Interstate AGM.

25. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Any auto parts supply store will have the j hook type hold down bolts. Measure carefully. I needed the longer set approx 12 in to fit an interstate AGM Battery and cut them down to fit.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Pransingh Horse and f355spider like this.