360 - Convertible top won’t open all the way! | FerrariChat

360 Convertible top won’t open all the way!

Discussion in '360/430' started by ErikM, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ErikM

ErikM Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    Binghamton, NY
    When I open the top on my 360, the top retracts and goes into its housing BUT the deck lid will not RE-close over the top? Any suggestions?

2. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    I have my wife gently push down on the fabric, both sides in sequence.

Then the top usually closes all the way with no issue.

The capote fabric is a bit stiff and such problems are not unusual. Sometimes some of the elastics are a bit stretched out, but mine works well eventually.

On mine there was a microswitch issue as well when opening, the mechanic at Ferrari got them unstuck by hand with a little L-shaped rod. I later cleaned them with silicone spray, no issues since then.

Hopefully this is all there is to your problem ... Or maybe it's a lot more serious.

Hope this helps ! HWH

3. ErikM

ErikM Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks, I will certainly try pressing down on the fabric. I don’t (hope) it’s not more serious as the deck lid closes perfectly when the top is on.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you try and force the top to close, you're likely to do a lot of expensive damage. Several easy to break parts can be snapped, cracked or popped when you use ANY manual force.

The top should close smoothly without any assistance. The elastic bands are usually the problem when folding issues occur. They are (all 14) easily replaced and it's very DIY.

I wrote an article on the process here: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    This exact thing happened to me last weekend. Basically you have elastics that are no longer pulling the crossbar such that it tucks the fabric forward so it can drop into the well. The tonneau will not close because there is interference. My elastics actually have torn away slightly so my first option is to re-glue them with Loctite 495. I will then evaluate the elastic replacement option which, while involved, is not impossible for the DIY'er. Step by step instructions including a materials list here:

https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to be afraid of my top. I never operated it unless I was in my garage. At first it was hit or miss, then 100% failure (never closed).

I replaced the elastic bands and also rebuilt the secondary cylinders which are prone to fail when the elastics are worn (my theory). The elastics actually aid the hydraulics in closing the top. If the elastics are toast, then the hydraulics (secondary cylinders) have to take up the load. If you hear a groaning sound from your hydraulic pump, it's probably working too hard because of the failing elastics not helping out.

Once I had the top moving parts all up to snuff, the top became reliable.

2001 gated 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

robertjskelton and Qavion like this.
  7. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    Btw I had the same exact problem for year on my wife's BMW convertible ... she would very gently push the fabric down, and everything would close no issue :)

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my brother replaced all his bands and sensors and middle bar....and it still doesn't work properly. same issue as OP.

9. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    I'd be curious to know how it went ?

10. ErikM

ErikM Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    Binghamton, NY
    I will most certainly keep you posted. Crossing my fingers as my son and I are hoping to be at Watkins Glen this weekend.

11. ErikM

ErikM Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    Binghamton, NY
    Worked perfectly and had to apply nearly no pressure! Thank you

Qavion likes this.
  12. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb