car design thread | Page 482 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Instead of selling off brands they may just become trim levels or cease to exist. Each of these 3 have a history but not sure there would be a buyer that would pay money to acquire their nameplates.

Even Ferrari jettisoned Maserati. It could have been their reinvented Dino/Porsche fighter but seemingly even they saw that as a dead end.

330 4HL likes this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think China or a deep pocket enthusiast from the middle east would be the main chance. To get into what they consider the premium markets they might buy Maserati or maybe Alfa. China does that more than Japan or Korea. Those two like to build their own fake high end brand names mainly for the American markets.

Not sure if that would be better or worse.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    NbyNW, 330 4HL, anunakki and 4 others like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I thought is was a new Mercedes at first.

NbyNW and anunakki like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That's exactly what I thought!

anunakki likes this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #12033 NeuroBeaker, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    I mistook the Genesis G90 for a new Lincoln Continental and the Genesis GV80 for a new Mercedes GLE/GLS. Although they are evoking the feel of other cars, the designs have a tidy overall aesthetic about them and the styling features aren't too finnicky. I think they're doing a really nice job. I don't recall seeing Genesis cars previously as they just didn't stand out for me, but I'm noticing them more and more on the road now.

All the best,
    Andrew.

NYC Fred, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not very many dealers in the USA. I believe they have only about 1/5th the number of Lexus dealers. The nearest dealer to me in Virginia is ~2 hours away, which is a deal breaker.

330 4HL and of2worlds like this.
  9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its more Mercedes than Mercedes these days

10. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I think this is quite good especially in profile. In fact I think the Genesis designers could justifiably be a bit put off by it being mistaken for the EQS...
    Glad to see they toned down the light signature from earlier this year.

jm2 likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And now for something completely different. Jony Ive gives his advice to a graduating class of creatives.
    Sir Jony Ive's 2021 CCA Commencement Honorary Doctorate Address

Marty D, Tenney and 330 4HL like this.
  12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    THOUGHTS ON A REPLICA SWB FERRARI
    DESIGN CRITIQUE
    I don't think GTO Engineering ever wanted their Squalo ,a coy of the Ferrari swb 250GT, to be an exact replica but more the "essence" of the original. Here's my take:

SIDE They cleaned up the original. The side vents seem rather too highly placed than on the GTO and they are GTO not SWB. The wheels are 18 inches tall and look like nothing Ferrari ever ran to my knowledge. There's no visible door handle. I'd want them in case I crash--how's a rescuer supposed to open the door? The rear fender vents are from 250GTO series II, again mixing metaphors so to speak.

FRONT Again cribbing from the 250GTO with the elliptical hood air intakes on the bonnet--why steal from another model (other than the maker's name is GTO Engineering? The double bubble roof theme stolen from Zagato is something I don't remember seeing in a Ferrari so agin it's messing with history. I don't mind no grille but the road lamps in the grille are too jarringly modern to fit a '60s theme.

REAR The rear looks daring with no rear bumper--would you want to park a million dollar car on the street with no bumpers? No chrome round the rear backlite tastefully modernizes it. I like the inset taillamps but the pictures aren't high enough res for me to see if they copied the lenses exactly.

IN SUM It's a well balanced attempt at making available a slice of design history to today's aficionados now that the real swb's are priced out. But why mix and match different Ferrari design cues in one car? The tall wheels are the biggest mistake.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #12039 of2worlds, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Low profile tires and the 'wide track' look distract from the classic look. Though big wheels allow bigger brake rotors potentially. The other details mentioned have been tried before like the double bubble top and the front lights by Ferrari in a manner of speaking. Though sunken tail lights don't seem to be a benefit except again to clean up the body like the missing door handles.
    With that said it probably drives like the old car but better.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

330 4HL, Tenney and jm2 like this.
  14. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    GTO build a "Singer" 250. Not a fan.

How you can take so many (very) expensive Ferrari parts and build something that looks to be an (also very) bad kit car is beyond me. In fact, if you were to delete the roof, the 3/4 rear looks very much a Cobra replica.
    For some reason I find that the "halo" lights in the grille are particularly egregious to my eye, but the enormous wheels are a close second.

If one must do this sort of thing, Eagle do a much better job of it with their E-types as do Singer with their 911.

tritone and jm2 like this.
  15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I really dislike the Zagato double bubble roof at the best of times, but the way the ends of the bubbles are unresolved into the rear glass is really irritating.

The wheels aren't terrible, but it's strange having such busy and sharp shapes in the wheels of an otherwise such smooth design. I might have tried something with rounder shapes in them, being period correct doesn't seem that important on something that isn't trying to be a copy/replica, so you can go more modern on a homage/interpretation:

Otherwise, it's a very nice retro design paying homage to the original. Overall, I really like it. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    So it's 'double bubble roofs' you have a problem with? ;)

These are from 1989-90 for a Pontiac Grand Prix. What can I say? Guilty as charged. We wound up not doing the 'double bubble', but it wasn't for a lack of effort.;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login And for good measure we put it on a Pontiac Concept car, so there.:p

Marty D, Tenney, anunakki and 5 others like this.
  17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Put a nice clean traditional roof on that and it'll probably make it into production. ;) :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Hey, there's a great idea!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Marty D, tritone, Dolcevita and 5 others like this.
  19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I like a good double bubble, what I don't like about this double bubble is that it gives the roof too much forehead. There is too much metal above the windshield.
    There is plenty to like on the car and things I would nit pick. Some 250's have the kink in the top of the side glass, some do not. I would prefer without. The worst thing to me is the tailights.

jm2 likes this.
  20. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Yeah, the surfacing and profile (Of the body, not the roof) are more Cobra than Ferrari!

tritone, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  21. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The competition!
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6798021343339167744

330 4HL likes this.
  22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I still really like that design. I think you did a great job with it. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

Qvb and jm2 like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #12049 jm2, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Thanks, one of my favorite projects.
    I was blessed with an awesome team. We worked hard & played harder.

Attached Files:

Marty D, NbyNW, colombo2cam and 3 others like this.
  24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    A sign of the times. The designers weren't wearing jackets but still had ties on. The clay modelers were in smocks.